January 29th, 2010

Brown says he can beat Obama

Brown is confident he has Obama beat -- on the court.
Brown is confident he has Obama beat - on the court.

(CNN) - He hasn't been sworn into office yet, but Massachusetts Sen.-elect Scott Brown is confident he already has the president beat in at least one respect: basketball.

The former state senate Republican, who shocked the political world with his upset victory last week that effectively ended the Democratic Party's 60-seat filibuster-proof hold in the U.S. Senate, told NBC's Jay Leno he also has the game to hand the president a defeat on the court.

Brown, an avid athlete who also said he swims and bikes several miles a week, told Leno he's already issued the challenge to Obama.

"It would certainly be a tough game," Brown said of the potential match up. "The only time I spoke to him was election night. And I did challenge him to pick his best."
Brown meanwhile said he would employ the skills of his 21 year-old daughter Ayla, who plays for the Boston College basketball team.

"I think we'd have the upper hand," said Brown, who himself played basketball in college.

Brown also discussed his now-famous appearance in Cosmopolitan Magazine when he was a 22 year-old law student at Boston College. In its June 1982 issue, the magazine named Brown "America's sexiest man" and featured a photo-spread in which the future senator nearly bares all.

Asked if he'd ever do it again, Brown replied, "Almost 30 years later I'd probably have to do it for [the] mature senior AARP Magazine. So a little different now."

Filed under: President Obama • Scott Brown
  1. Indy

We hear alot about Brown but never hear anything he stands for or what his solutions would be for the current economic problems as well as international affairs. Sure would be nice to hear something other then his celebrity status.

January 29, 2010 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  2. historian

Now we know Brown will play games like basketball with the President, but will he work with the President to bring us all together as a nation or will he join the gang of NO?

January 29, 2010 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  3. kaparrishinatl

Let the count down begin before some ridiculous scandal befalls this clown. All I can say is bring it on! Posing for Cosmopolitan does not qualify you for the White House. What he needs to realize he was elected only because the people of the commonwealth were angry, and Coakely was another white woman with an entitlement mentality!

January 29, 2010 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  4. R in Maine

Arrogant half-wit, he will be lucky to finish his three years.

January 29, 2010 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  5. SayWhat

Do you think this guy is in love with himself enough?

January 29, 2010 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  6. smokey

OMG..Why doesn't this guy get real !! He needs to realize he is NOT and CANNOT be Pres Obama...Anyone with any common sense can see what a phony he really is..And he seems more concerned about basketball than he does with politics..What a joke !!

January 29, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  7. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Brown just another Republican only interested in his own self interest and not that of the people. Brown's a joke, haven't heard him say he's ready to go to work for the taxpayers. Massachutts been punked.

January 29, 2010 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  8. Jamie

Go ahead, Brown, make Obama's day!!! I doubt Obama is shivering in his boots.

January 29, 2010 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  9. gl, From Pittsburgh

I guest the Republicans think they found their GREAT WHITE HOPE they have been looking for. This man is fool of himself and I really believe he have a bunch of mess in his life.

January 29, 2010 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  10. Doraine Gordon

We aren't interested in how good a basketball player he is or how he looks naked. What about the jobs? The people oted him in because he is the one with the Midus Touch. Well, where is it? How many jobs did HE create last week and how many problems did he solve? How much time should we give him before we start bashing him for not delivering on his promises? I am counting, folks.

January 29, 2010 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  11. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

The POTUS was able to hold is own with the UNC champoinship team. I think Mr. Brown needs to bite his tongue.

January 29, 2010 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  12. C Spurgeon

Shouldn't get sworn in and start working or is he just another politician vying for face time. Congreass makes me sick...not about the country all about themselves.

January 29, 2010 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  13. Kel Monster

Obama should play him 1 on 1. If Brown wins we drop Healthcare reform. If Barack beats him, the rep's vote for single payer

January 29, 2010 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  14. T'SAH from Virginia

I kind of LIiiiiii – I kind of LIKkkkkkkk – I kind of LIKE this guy BROWN – and I am a democrat!!! Whew! That took a lot out of me to make that remark!!!

I also liked his response to the State of the Union address and he was the ONLY RepubliCAN'T that did not BASH President Obama. It seems as if he will do well and WORK with the President instead of BASHING him!!! Let's HOPE!!

BUT – I must say this and I will bet on it – YOU – Brown – WILL NOT beat President Obama in basketball and I place the FINAL SCORE @ 21-18 with NO 3-point shots for YOU!!! Yes we CAN!!!

January 29, 2010 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  15. brad

uh. I understand he is just being funny...but...would be nice if you put your "game" to serving your time in office to doing what you were voting in for. Will give him time but so far I am not impressed. Seems like a "male" Palin.

January 29, 2010 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  16. Dyan, Minnesota

Someone has gotten a bit of an ego, huh?

January 29, 2010 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  17. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Pathetic! He has been elected to work not play and remember his good old days! All of Goverment has been elected to Govern and not waste our time!

January 29, 2010 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  18. Bob in Kansas City

Please feel free to choose Sarah Palin as your running mate as you will no doubt go up in flames with more precision!

January 29, 2010 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  19. John, Brooklyn, NY

Being a populist is one thing...but silly sophomoric playground taunts is another.

I couldn't give a hoot about Obama's or Brown's free throw average, points per game, rebounds, whether they prefer zone or man-to-man, or whether one has a better outside game. On the other hand, I DO care whether they are able to pass healthcare, get the wars cleaned up in Afghanistan and Iraq, get Americans back to work, keep us safe from terrorists, make education accessible and affordable, and keep the planet from overheating.

Brown...Obama clearly has "thrown it down" on all the important issues that I (and most Americans) care about. Are you man enough to take THAT challenge?

January 29, 2010 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  20. Bill from GA

I'm sure there were plenty of Democrats who could have beat W at chess, but they didn't rub it in.

January 29, 2010 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  21. Ramses

Good idea. Start with basketball, swimming, bycycling, get some legislative experience & contest for President. He has the Kennedy looks, charm & the state of Massachussets. Why not a republican Brown Kennedy. It is time to replace some Old school Republicans & Democrats with a younger, more forward thinking, great competitor & achiver. I am a Democrat & ready to vote for a great Republican. Change is coming in 7 years. It is Brown. Ha, Ha.

January 29, 2010 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  22. Brown 2012

Wow...basketball and the cover of Cosmopolitan....are you trying to make Brown appear as a lesser candidate as you did with Palin? Why not run an article on the legistation that Brown worked on and compare it to what Obama did prior to being elected to the highest office in America.

Obama's lack of experience was so underplayed during the election and now we are all feeling the results of it.

Brown has already displayed the ability to work hard, make tough decisions and actually show up to work. Brown also is in touch with what Americans want and need. Unlike Obama who is still so bent on pushing his poor policies through without regards to the ill effects that they are having on all of America.

Brown will beat Obama by a landslide in 2012! America will not be duked again.

January 29, 2010 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  23. Ellid

Is there anyone alive who believes that a male Democrat, or a woman of any political party, could possibly have been elected to anything more than the town select board after a career as a nude model? Nice to know that it's okay if you're a conservative Republican with two pretty daughters, a half million dollar house in the suburbs, several investment condos in Boston, and a wife with a media career.

January 29, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  24. Reggie from LA

That's nice...I think. Maybe if they ALL learned how to play together they could accomplish something. It is abjectly apparent that they do not know how. I'm not going to say how disappointed I am. I will say that if many of them looked in the mirror with glasses on, they should most likely puke. Their inability to "play together" is something akin to 3rd and 4th graders learning to group together and be jerks and to take advantage of everyone else in sight. Ewww...and they get paid well to be stupid. How stupid are we to let them walk all over us.

January 29, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  25. P.J.

And after the basketball game, how about if they sit down and have a calm, thoughtful conversation about the issues. No television cameras. No winners or losers declared. Just two people in powerful positions trying to figure out what's best for the country.

By all accounts Obama is a good listener. Let's see if Brown can set aside the macho man posing long enough to show those independent voters that they chose someone with brain as well as abs.

January 29, 2010 10:14 am at 10:14 am |