January 29th, 2010

Palin continues shots at the National Organization for Women

Sarah Palin has taken another shot at the National Organization for Women.
Sarah Palin has taken another shot at the National Organization for Women.

(CNN) - Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin is not backing down from her criticisms over the National Organization for Women's demand that CBS cease from airing a pro-life commercial during the Superbowl.

"For a pro-life, pro-woman, pro-family ad to be seen as offensive and not empowering women is puzzling," Palin told Fox News' Greta Van Susteren Thursday. "It makes you wonder what is NOW afraid of?"

The ad in question is paid for by the conservative political action group Focus on the Family and features Heisman-winning college quarterback Tim Tebow and his mother, Pam, discussing her decision not to have an abortion even though doctors recommended it at the time. Deciding against an abortion, she gave birth to Tim, who grew up to be an all-star quarterback at the University of Florida and perhaps one of the best college quarterbacks of all time.

Several abortion rights groups have taken issue with the ad, saying the Superbowl is not the correct forum for politically-charged messages. But Palin, who originally took issue with NOW's request on her Facebook page earlier this week, said the group is picking the wrong battle.

"It certainly isn't an offensive message," the former Alaska governor said on Fox. "For NOW to have chosen this, [they are] picking a wrong battle I think, to come across sounding quite offended by hearing that a pro-life commercial will air on the Superbowl, it's baffling."

Meanwhile NOW President Terry O'Neill said Palin is "missing our point."

"The goal of the Focus on the Family ad is not to empower women. It's to create a climate in which Roe v. Wade can be overturned," O'Neill said in a statement obtained by CNN. "There are always going to be women who need abortions. In this country, one in three women will have an abortion."

While CBS used to adhere to a policy of not airing advocacy commercials during sporting events, a spokesman for the network told the Associated Press they have changed their stance to reflect "industry norms."

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Just Bob

I feel that the Superbowl is the wrong place for politically charged ads. If you agree, one way to stop them is to let the network and advertisers know that you will not buy or support all products that have paid ads during the super bowl if they choose to air politically charged ads. The reason for airing advocacy commercials is to create hype and revenue. Sending them this message will take at least one of these away.

January 29, 2010 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  2. mary

In my opinion Sarah Palin is not much more than a mere village idiot and should just go back to Alaska and watch Russia from her living room window!! She is not in politics anymore and should just mind her own business. If she does not like the ad that Focus on the Family is going to air on Superbowl Sunday, then she DOESN'T HAVE TO WATCH IT!!

January 29, 2010 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  3. Independent

The Super Bowl has refused political advertising in the past and should be consistent in their policy for either side.

As a Christian and beyond my personal position on choice, it is also disappointing to see Tebow deciding to associate with bigotry of Focus on the Family.

The sadly misguided actions from James Dobson and others in FoF do not represent the Christianity of love and compassion in our family.

January 29, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  4. SC-Pub "no" more

Since she is a First Amendment Republican advocate, would she be o.k. if there were an ad that suggested that un-wed, underage teens should have counseling as to whether or not to have an abortion. My guess is, NO!
    My other guess is she doesn't know what the First Amendment is.

January 29, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  5. GOPer

Funny what a little of money from a book deal can do to an ego.

In February she'll be telling NASA how to launch satellites.

All this while having no experience what so ever and using the Fox network as her launching pad to run a failed Presidential campaign.

Thanks to John McCain we’re stuck with her for now.

January 29, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  6. Steve S.

I am pro-choice and I am also very much in favor of the First Amendment right to free speech. I don't think that advertisements aired during the Superbowl should be held to a different standard than advertisements aired at any other time. Let the ad run! Let NOW pay to run another advertisement that gives the other point of view. That is the American Way. I'm glad Tim Tebow is alive, but that doesn't mean that I think abortion rights should go back to the dark ages. Tim Tebow's mother made a choice. I am all about the idea that she should have that choice.

January 29, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  7. I can see Russia from Alaska

Now that Sarah Palin is an author, speaker and TV host....is it not time to not talk about her on a political ticker but perhaps something like the National Inquirer....she talks alot and still doesn't say anything. Her point of view often as the NOW president says "missing our point". She is a talker and a quiter and is certainly able to share her points of view....but let's not consider her a political pundit.

January 29, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  8. Lance

Sarah Palin rarely gets the point.

January 29, 2010 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  9. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

I'm a Democrat.
    I ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, UNEQUIVOCALLY, EMOTIONALLY and SOCIALLY DISAGREE with "Focus On The Family: and their message,
    BUT
    They are well within their rights under the First Amendment to run the advertisement.
    Want a different message? Buy some ad time.

January 29, 2010 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  10. Patti in Dallas

Palin's comments don't surprise me at all. CBS' acceptance of this ad surprises me...given its long history of rebuffing any & all ads involving "controversial issues." Can't wait to see Super Bowl ads calling for the passage of ENDA and the repeals of DADT & DOMA!!

January 29, 2010 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  11. Sue

The pro-abortion people/groups do not want women/young girls to consider other options besides abortion.

They want to encourage abortion as the "ONLY" solution.

Otherwise, why would anyone in their right mind-–not want women/young girls to receive information regarding other options besides abortion??

These people/groups are unbelievable.

January 29, 2010 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  12. KJ

and has cbs changed their stance to where they will air a pro same sex marriage ad?

i think not.

January 29, 2010 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  13. Notwatching

I have no control what is advertised during the Super Bowl but I do have control over what my TV is tuned to. It will not be tuned to the Super Bowl.

January 29, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  14. TinaLondon

Mr. O'Neil, you are missing a very important point yourself, Mrs Palin goal nowadays is to get as much paid publicity as she can. I am a pro-life supporter, but I also respect every women's right to choose. I agree with NOW that the Superbowl is not the appropiate platform for this kind of advertising. How many women watch Superbowl anyways :) I am thinking airing this ad during American Next Top Model might get better audience.

January 29, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  15. Bill Sweeney

It is not of any import what Palin thinks or has to say about anything because in this household she is considered a non-entity.
    And, we are Republicans to the core.
    The Sweeney Family

January 29, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  16. starzzguitar

If now doesn't like the ad, they can produce their own and show it during the Superbowl. Something like, "Women, Free Yourself! Abort that Mistake!". Freedom of speech was just affirmed by the Supreme Court.

January 29, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  17. Oski

Shockingly, I'm on Sarah Palin's side for once. "The Superbowl is not the correct forum for politically-charged messages???" So Americans HAVE to put their brains on siestas when they watch the Superbowl? I'm pro-choice, and I doubt that a TV commercial is ever going to be the vehicle to change my opinion on that issue, but if it prompts folks to think about the issue–even if it's trying to move them in the opposite direction of where I'd like it to go–what's wrong with that?

January 29, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  18. John E Lexington KY

Tebow is not an expert on abortion. I'm thrilled he was born but his mother and all women should have the right to decide that question. Tebow and Palin want to decide that for all other women in the country. Then they want to decide how all other women in the country should react to the ad as well.

Their views have been made known. The ad is not proper for a sports telecast. Tebow is not a proper spokesman for the ad. Palin isn't qualified to speak on anything of any substance except how to cash in on celebrity born of politics. Whatever Tebow and Palin decide in their personal lives is their right. They don't have the right to take that decision from other people.

January 29, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  19. Gpenn

Palin always seems to be taking shots at someone.

January 29, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  20. Casey

I don't like abortion, but just because Tim Tebow ended up being a great quarterback doesn't mean anything really. Maybe NOW should air commercials of mass murderers and claim the world would have been better off if they had been aborted. I'm not saying I agree, but it's the logical anticeedent to their arguement and equally absurd.

January 29, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  21. Jack Fl

I hate when a person or group tries to prevent another from speaking a point of view. Sometimes Americans forget we are Americans and have rights. If you have an opposing or different view, just put up the money and you too may have it broadcast to millions of adoring fans who are in the kitchen grabbing a beer and a snack!

January 29, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  22. John

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Sarah Palin, but, for once, I am.

Let the broadcast network decide what ads are appropriate during the Superbowl.

January 29, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  23. ron

Read an interesting comparison to the Pro Choice ad and a Gay Dating site ad. The old double standard....so I would pose that question to Ms. Palin...and see what her response would be. I'd like to see her justify one and not the other...

January 29, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  24. Susan

CBS should only air this commercial if they are willing to air an opposing point of view

January 29, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  25. dgh

I think all of us who do not wish to see the super bowl turn into politics should just vow to turn off the TV when this commercial comes on. And leave it off for at least 5 minutes. Let's see how the other non political advertisers feel about that. Can I please watch the super bowl without conservative America invading my home!!!

January 29, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |