Washington (CNN) - No decision has been made on whether to change the current plan to hold the September 11 terrorist attack trial in a civilian court in lower Manhattan, White House officials said Sunday.
Last week, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and other politicians expressed concern over the costs and disruption of holding the trial of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four accomplices at a New York City courthouse.
David Axelrod, the senior adviser to President Obama, and White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said Sunday that Obama believes the trial should take place in a criminal court instead of before a military commission, as permitted for some terrorism suspects.
However, Axelrod and Gibbs acknowledged that Obama and the Justice Department were considering moving the trial from New York City.
Just get it done people..and keep the politics out of it.
This Obama administration is smart and the Republicans know this because now they're trying to white wash what Bush did while they voted 100% with Bush. Republicans are trying to play the American people for stupid.
Barry still needs to weigh his popularity in Yemen, Iran and Pakistan before making a final decision!
GW Bush himself vowed that we would bring the terrorists behind the 9/11 attacks "to justice".
There have been other trials in New York City of terrorists (including the shoe bomber during GW Bush's first term), without major disruption. Just look up the details on the successful prosecutions of Yousef Ramzi and the USS Cole bombers. Manhattan wasn't "shut down", there was no circus, people were not inconvenienced, there were no attacks.
This whole thing is being exaggerated by the GOP and Fox, as part of their on-going efforts to be obstructionist and a general pain in the rear.
The GOP and their lackeys are simply a pathetic bunch of jerks!
They haven't made a decision yet because Obama and Holder have not finished eating crow.