February 1st, 2010

Obama's budget draws battle lines for weeks ahead

(CNN) – President Obama's budget plan released Monday lays out legislative priorities destined to become political battles as he navigates his second year in office.

The budget process is difficult by nature since Republicans and Democrats have different spending policies. Democrats generally believe that government should help solve the nation's problems, while Republicans see more government involvement as a problem.

It's also difficult for Obama, who is trying to rein in the deficit and spur job growth at the same time.

Although there will be lots of back-and-forth about the big picture, there will also be intense arguments will on smaller items that affect specific states and districts.

"I'm willing to reduce waste in programs I care about, and I'm asking members of Congress to do the same. I'm asking Republicans and Democrats alike to take a fresh look at programs they've supported in the past to see what's working and what's not, and trim back accordingly," the president said Monday.

Full story

Filed under: Budget • President Obama
  1. Allison29

Just another item for Republicans to whine about.....nothings ever right for them.

February 1, 2010 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  2. Average American

I'm glad to see we're finally including the cost of wars in the budget. Up 'till now we have no idea how much we spent on the wars, and we certainly did nothing to actually pay for them.

February 1, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  3. polly

Trim heavily. Stop spending. Save enough for the soldiers becoming addicted. You wouldn't have to create jobs here if they weren't sent out in the first place. Nothing makes sense. I guess once India and China catch up, then we can enter another war. Save enough for that.

February 1, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  4. Right Leaning Independent

After reading the list of new taxes Obama has planned for wealthy folks and business, it seems to me that he is intent on expanding the Government coffiures and the middle class is going to suffer for it. The amount of money that he is going to take out of circulation will surely affect the middle class when companies are forced to pay higher taxes and they eliminate jobs to stay profitable. It will also take money that the wealthy would normally spend on consumer items which will also reduce the number of employees needed. I am not a wealthy person but I certainly understand that consumers buying goods make jobs for the middle class... I guess I am not surprised from our community organizer who is hell bent on redistribution.

February 1, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  5. Aunt Bea and Opie

Dunce must work in the prison Library.He should be under a doctors care for muliple personality disorder in a mental home..hahaha

February 1, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  6. matt

This is obviously the nail in the coffin for Obama. Are you kidding me? $3.8 Trillion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This guy is in way over his head, we are going to spend that much money when we don't have it. It just proves again that Obama is way too inexperienced for this job, as he learns as he goes, american families are hurting, starving, and losing hope. What have we done voting in a complete idiot.

February 1, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  7. all the news that's fit to omit

"Democrats generally believe that government should help solve the nation's problems, while Republicans see more government involvement as a problem"..........

Sorry CNN, you left out the most important part of this, Republicans believe the monies should INSTEAD go back to small businesses or uh, uh, uh, uh the people that pay the taxes as IT HAS BEEN PROVEN OVER AND OVER, politicians don't know bleep about how to spend our money, WE DO.

Government can't create jobs EXCEPT more "gubment" jobs as that is the only sector growing since the coward in thief took office.

Is the POS done paying back the unions yet or is that how the rest of my money going to be spent?

I look forward to 2013 when this fraud is removed, we wil see his and his wife's true colors then.

February 1, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  8. Dar

Odumbo said we can't continue to spend with out consequences, and he is right but all he is doing here is cutting out programs/jobs that he can now spread the money to who he wants. like the union jobs he wants to create, the union's are his freinds and he is going to help them, just watch and see. Redistributing the wealth I beleive is how he put it.

2010/2012 REAL Change is coming

February 1, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  9. al in memphis

TV rating is about how bad it is and whose the blame. Politics is about how can we make it look like the other person is not right for the job.

Bottom line is tough issues are dealt with just like Obama is proposing here. Everybody is got to give up some of what they want in order for their to be a solution to what is needed.

I like to turn on the TV and find out who's working in Washington and who is not - to me that is the news.

February 1, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. mike

let me get this strait the democrats want more government involvement
    in our lives but with a global economy and bad products made over
    seas by american companies and investment firms stealing our money
    out of our retirement, health insurance companies ripping us off and the banks killing the average person on credit card interest rates the
    republicans think that will do just fine on our on without any government
    involvement and did I forget student loans that most if not all republicans
    get but I guess that does not count in there play book

February 1, 2010 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  11. File under "Sarcasm"

Boy, I'm glad he's getting all his spending in this year before he freezes it next year. What's another trillion in debt he'll have to borrow to spend and then tax the hell out of our children to repay.

February 1, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  12. Brian from NJ

Getting our fiscal house in order is simple... Raise taxes AND cut spending. We need to do both and it will take some adults to accomplish it. And as soon as we vote the "lifers" out of Congress in November maybe we can get that done. If Obama is serious about cutting waste he can begin by keeping his campaign promise to veto any bill with earmarks attached to them... and quit blaming the GOP for his failures.

February 1, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. stormerF

Head start is a wasteful program,and it has been proven by the testing of 4th graders,and we spend billions on it. So will Obama cut it? Obama talks the talk ,but how do you cut the deficit by spending more and more? I want to be Obama's Math CZAR,I know how to do simple math,something that eludes the politicans in Washington,D.C.

February 1, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  14. Capt. Snarky

Sounds like Michelle could cut some staff......Budgeting starts at home, Mr. President.......

February 1, 2010 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  15. Hugo

Allison29: You mean just another 3.8 trillion reasons to whine, they are whining because they are smart enough to know that at some point in the not too distant future, we will ALL be paying for it through further taxation. This is no longer just about your philosophical differences in ideologies, this is about destroying the engine that drives our economy. If he were serious about cutting deficit, he would cut Federal jobs by 60% and reduce some of the multi-faceted layers of bureaucracy that restrict free enterprise. We need commerce, not government created tax wastes!
    2010 & 2012 is going to be a RAT KILLING for both sides of the aisle!

February 1, 2010 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  16. Doug

I bet the White House travel budget is hard to find, just announced, time to go again overseas to Austraila. One way trips could be cheaper, just a budget balancing idea.

February 1, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  17. vwrtb

Rich people have more money than they know what to do with... A meager tax hike for the rich is not going to stop them from consuming and they can only buy so much useless crap anyway... Give me a break... Its like a millionaire getting a 85 dollar traffic tickit... The more you earn the less each dollar counts... Its the degenerative value of the dollar... What we need to do is create more good Paying jobs... Usually that means union jobs to give money to consumers that actually will spend it ... Not horde it like the rich an increase the income disparity gap... if you don't make a quarter million dollars a year... You are not republican... Face it and stop making us slaves to corporations you tools!

February 1, 2010 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  18. dg

what planet is obama on?

February 1, 2010 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  19. Robert

Let us see how many in Congress bash the president for the budget, but won't be willing to cut programs.

February 1, 2010 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  20. Paski

I want to know where were all these deficit hawks during 2000-2008? The damage was done during that time and by end of 2008, the country went insolvent and into the great recession. There is no other option than to spend money, increase the deficit to pull the country out of it. What I cannot understand is why the American voter has such a short memory. You guys want to vote the republicans into power in 2010? The same guys who brought this crisis in the first place. I am simply amused.

February 1, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |