February 2nd, 2010

Palin hired former Gore speechwriter for big speech

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin delivered a humorous speech at the Gridiron Dinner last December.

Washington (CNN) - Sarah Palin's political action committee doled out tens of thousands of dollars last year to Republican consulting firms and donations to GOP candidates, according to the PAC's end-of-year filing with the Federal Election Commission.

But Sarah PAC also paid one Democrat $14,000 for what the FEC report terms "Consulting, Communication, Speech."

That Democrat was Eric Schnure, a former speechwriter for Al Gore, who was hired by Palin to craft her humorous speech to the Gridiron Dinner in Washington last December.

Schnure, a speechwriting veteran who recently signed on with the communications consulting firm Dewey Square Group, calls himself a "proud Democrat." But Schnure said he had no problem helping a Republican – even one as polarizing as Palin – with a speech designed to make people laugh.

"I think humor is one of the last bastions of bipartisanship," Schnure told CNN. "She elicits strong opinions on both sides of the aisle, but I think most people in Washington are savvy about these things. And they understand these humor events have a special place."

Still, Schnure said he has received a fair amount of ribbing from fellow Democrats – including his wife – for lending a hand to Palin.

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. File under "Sarcasm"

In politics, like anything else, its "Show me the money!"

February 2, 2010 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  2. Franky, Land of Lincoln

No wonder her speech lacked inflation, she got a Liberal writing it for crying out loud. I'm sure there are better speech writers on her side who could do a better job at crafting a speech. They could have gotten a better job at it.

It just makes me wonder why she switched? Not on occassion but on situation? Experimenting? Better? I don't know but I find that odd.

I'm a bit surprised but she could have done better.

February 2, 2010 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  3. Nevada dude

I guess she's tainted goods now...

February 2, 2010 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  4. One of these days, the Tea Party members will realize . . .

that they been conned by the "Queen of the Grifters".

February 2, 2010 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  5. Mark

Palin is a SUPER STAR! We cannot get enough of her. Keep the news coming, no matter how trivial it is.

Palin 2012!!!!

February 2, 2010 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  6. Nick

Wait...she can read?

February 2, 2010 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  7. ShiWms Phx AZ

This pix of sara, and with stars in her eyes! Please! Never!! I have a great memory of the last eight Bush and Co. (cheney). She would be worse that what I ever experienced during Bush times.

Oh, by the way...

President Obama -

You are doing an awesome job! Keep up the good work!

February 2, 2010 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |