February 4th, 2010

Tebow attends Washington prayer breakfast

Tim Tebow attended the National Prayer Breakfast Thursday morning.
Tim Tebow attended the National Prayer Breakfast Thursday morning.

Washington (CNN) – College football's Tim Tebow, a Heisman trophy winner, attended the National Prayer Breakfast with President Barack Obama Thursday and delivered the closing prayer, continuing his foray into the political spotlight.

Tebow recently came under fire for appearing in an issues-oriented ad that will run during Sunday's Superbowl game. The ad will feature Tebow and his mother Pam recounting the decision to continue her pregnancy with Tim despite recommendations from doctors to do otherwise.

The prayer breakfast was organized by the group, Fellowship Foundation, which has been linked to a controversial anti-gay law in Uganda.

Introduced by Rep. Johnny Isakson, R-Georgia, Tebow joked, "It is rather incredible that a Georgia Bulldog invited a Florida Gator, so you can see the hand of God here."

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who also attended the event, spoke of her own preference of adoption over abortion and told the story of opening a home for the children of unwanted pregnancies after a visit from Mother Teresa.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Rich

Isakson is a Senator not a Representative

February 4, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  2. Truth-Bomb Thrower

I wonder how the media will choose to try to destroy this pro-life hero.
    They are just looking for the most effective way to attack him and his family.

Enjoy the relatively positive coverage while you have it, Tebow. You're a conservative that DARES to go against the Obama pro-abortion agenda. Your positive coverage WILL NOT LAST! The sharks will soon be circling.

February 4, 2010 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  3. Mike

Tebow gets it. Many others who share his beliefs do not.

February 4, 2010 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  4. Boston Kate

Where are the details explaining why the doctor suggested Tebow's mother end her pregnancy?

February 4, 2010 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  5. John

I understand the controversy of the Tebow ad and why pro-choice advocates are upset by it. I understand that Focus on the Family doesn't exactly present itself as friendly to everyone outside the Christian community. However, if we look at this thing in terms of free speech, it seems odd that this ad and not others would be so criticized. After all, GoDaddy.com and Bud Light will no doubt strip women down their bras and bikinis on Sunday evening, perpetuating an outrageous paradigm for women. While every man, woman, and child in America sits down to watch the game, major corporations will be throwing nipped-and-tucked women on the screen to make women feel even more insecure and men like they should start saving for their spouse's plastic surgery. I understand the issue here is about abortion but it has now become about free speech as well. Let Tebow tell his story and then we can all get back to the thirty other commercials that are not-so-subtly feeding us far more dangerous messages.

February 4, 2010 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  6. Raymond H. Burgoon-Clark

Tebow is a poster boy for RETROACTIVE abortion.

February 4, 2010 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  7. djfaber199

Tebow had one thing inn common with everyone in DC.
    he wasn't aborted.

if so he could NOT have made an appearance.

February 4, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  8. Quorndawg

Tebow's mother made the choice to give Tim life.

Hilary clinton prefers the choice of adoption over abortion.

Key word in both sentences is choice.

February 4, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  9. Jesse

I don't know the details of why doctors were recommending to end the pregnancy but I would imagine they were trying to do what they thought was in the best interest of Tebow's mother and her safety. As for Tim, I think he is a closet case myself. I also love these bible thumping athletes that are so self absorbed that they think God cares about their stupid little sporting event. On a list of important things taking place in the Universe at any given moment, the outcome of a sporting event ranks right up there with a gnat farting in a cornfield outside of Ainsworth, Nebraska. Notice they never mention God when they lose. Or say that God shined more of his grace on the other team that day.

February 4, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  10. Maria

While I am not a fan of Tim Tebow, I do appreciate the fact that he and his mother made such a brave commercial against abortion. My mom was told to abort my sister b/c the doctor didn't think she would make it to 9 months and there was a concern that she had down syndrome. My sister is now 27 years old and healthier than anyone else in my family!

My husband and I have been trying for over two years to get pregnant. We are now looking to adopt a child. I hope this commercial will help others faced with unwanted pregnancies to choose adoption over abortion.

February 4, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  11. Christine

It is amazing to me what hypocrites anti-choice supporters are. Pam Tebow loves telling the story about how doctor's recommended she have an abortion but she CHOSE not to terminate the pregnancy. Interesting how she supports to take the choice away from other women that she was given.

February 4, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  12. Allen

So, Tim Tebow thinks he's now the hand of God? This clown needs to get a clue. I'm tired of hearing about the preaching punk.

February 4, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  13. Dean

Liberals accuse right wingers of wanting to control women's lives while they simply just want to eliminate lives.

February 4, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  14. eric

Tebow should worry more about his lack of football talent. Tebow is annoying and over hyped. Amen.

February 4, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  15. greenfish

I'm glad his mother had the choice to keep her baby. Same for Sarah Palin. That's the point of the pro-choice movement.

February 4, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Do your praying on your on time, loser

February 4, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  17. Jeanette Flatt

What an admirable and courageous young man. He is true to God's Word in spite of the attacks by the liberal and secular world. My heart is stirred by his willingness to stand up for God and His ways even in the midst of his own fame. I'm thankful to know that there is still someone out there in the limelight that can be a great example and role model for my children and grandchildren instead of what the general public sees in most celebs.

February 4, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  18. Obama = WORST president EVER

Why are liberals so afraid of this guy? If NOW and NARAL have a better message – let's hear it. Oh, that's right. – They DON'T.

February 4, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  19. chris

at what point did God ever care if one is/was a gator or bulldog?? God, might however, be more upset with the relationship betweein Tebow and Uganda where killing of gays seems to be allowed.

February 4, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  20. gary

What a wonderful young man and witness Tim Tebow is. He's the kind you'd like your daughter to bring home for dinner.

February 4, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  21. Dee, 1 Vote

Good job Tim, work a little harder to get better at the NFL Draf.

February 4, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  22. WBN

Hmmm, if this means the President attend "alongside" Tebow, I am proud of the President; we should be able to be civil with folks we disagree with. Also, though I admire Tebow and agree with his personal stance on abortion, I was surprised the Super Bowl accepted the ad; this may open the door to a flood of conflicting, controversial ads in the future–not good. However, if this is simply Tebow's personal story and a celebration of his family's choice, maybe it will just "be what it is" and not serve as a precursor or pro-and-anti ads for all sorts of moral issues. Some of us even feel the beer ads are a bit controversial, since so many of America's young are glued to the Super Bowl, though they are perennially the best ads on TV!

February 4, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  23. Texas Jack

Good for Tebow.

February 4, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  24. please

I hope he prayed that people stop killing each other and hating each other over religion. Seems that's the only thing religion does these days.

February 4, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  25. jon p

A fetus has a million friends until the second after it’s born…

February 4, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |