February 4th, 2010

Palin aide: Perry adviser's remark 'crude' and 'disrespectful'

Sarah Palin is set to campaign with Texas Gov. Rick Perry this weekend.
Sarah Palin is set to campaign with Texas Gov. Rick Perry this weekend.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is criticizing a Rick Perry campaign adviser accused of using the word "retarded" - but she isn't demanding that the aide be fired.

The accusation - made against top Perry consultant David Carney on Wednesday by Kay Bailey Hutchison's gubernatorial campaign - is of note because Palin is heading to Texas this weekend to campaign for Perry as he seeks a third term as Texas governor.

On Monday, Palin called on President Obama to fire his Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel for using the very same word in a closed door meeting about health care negotiations.

Hutchison's campaign manager Terry Sullivan told CNN Wednesday that Carney repeatedly said "retarded" during a recent conference call between the gubernatorial campaigns to plan logistics for their Jan. 14 debate in Denton.

Earlier: Top Perry aide used 'R' word, Hutchison campaign alleges

According to Sullivan, Carney became "bombastic and agitated" when he learned that one of the candidate holding rooms would be in a separate building from the debate venue.

"That's just retarded," Carney said when he learned about the room location, according to Sullivan. "That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard."

Perry's campaign did not respond to a request to comment on the conference call.

Palin spokesman Meg Stapleton condemned the language as "disrespectful," but did not say that Carney should lose his job.

"While it seems few can comment on the veracity of the conversation, Gov. Palin believes crude and demeaning name calling at the expense of others is disrespectful," Stapleton told CNN in an e-mail.

Palin, whose youngest son Trig has Down Syndrome, wrote on her Facebook page Monday that the word "retarded" is "a slur on all God's children with cognitive and developmental disabilities."

She said Emanuel's use of the term, first reported in a Wall Street Journal article last week, was "heartbreaking" and merited his dismissal from the president's inner circle.

Filed under: 2010 • Kay Bailey Hutchison • Popular Posts • Rick Perry • Sarah Palin • Texas
  1. Tony in Maine

But Limbaugh gets a pass for repeated use of the even worse "retard" on his radio show. Not even a mention let alone fired, crucified, drawn and quartered...

Hmmmmm

Could Palin be a little bit scared of offending the de facto head of the Party of No.

February 4, 2010 07:52 am at 7:52 am |
  2. T'SAH from Virginia

WHY – I say WHY is Ms. PA'IN so HUNG UP on the word "Retarded"???? If LEVI did not mention she called her OWN SON retarded – this outbreak would not be occurring – Case and POINT!!

DEFINITION: "...Often Offensive Affected with mental retardation. 2. Occurring or developing later than desired or expected; delayed..."

There are MANY people like this and they DO NOT have any disability. They are just RETARDED because they ACT like the above!!!

MAN made up the word!!! MAN uses the word "out of context" all the time!!! MAN obviously at one time used it against people who fell within the definition above. MAN thought slaves were RETARDED!!

Sarah Palin's desire to be MORE than what she was cut out to be is RETARDED because it's "... developing later than desired or expected..." Jeez!!

February 4, 2010 07:52 am at 7:52 am |
  3. mark ferbet, KCMO

Palin needs to keep her mouth shut. The word retarded, which has been a part of my generation's language, is not going to become a condemned slur just because mental health advocates keep screaming it should be. Its not "pc" but its hardly the "N" word. Obviously Hypocrisy is the only story here.

February 4, 2010 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  4. ATPP

Is it okay to say Palin is 'cognitively challenged'???!!??!

February 4, 2010 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  5. kevin

CNN is very "fair and balanced" by reporting BOTH stories. I just saw where Palin called for Emanuel to be fired, on FOX. Not a word was said on FOX about Palin giving Perry a free pass. Shameful hypocrites on FOX.

February 4, 2010 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  6. christophermahlon

Partisan much?

February 4, 2010 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  7. ww

And what about Rush Sarah??? Are
    You going to have an even softer reaction to his.repeated use of the word retard? Or is it only Rahm who deserves to be fired?

February 4, 2010 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  8. AmFem

Please people!!! Don't blog or comment on this subject! Let's make Palin a non-issue so that CNN stops putting her in the news!!!

February 4, 2010 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  9. Kathy

Hypocrite, hypocrite, hypocrite! Since she is so smart on economics, how did she leave being a mayor of a town with $4 million in debt when she took office it had a budget surplus!! Sounds like Bush economics and Regan Trickle Down or VooDoo economics to me!

February 4, 2010 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  10. Mark S.

Another example of Palin hypocrisy...

February 4, 2010 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  11. Anonymous

Retarded is no more offensive than "mentally challanged," which fully explains Sarah Palin's mental condition. Since she gave birth to a child that is "mentally something," she never fails to exploit it at every turn. In my opinion it is simply another rambling of anti-knowledge spewing from the mouth of Alaska's "First Strumpet."

February 4, 2010 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  12. Anne

This is getting a little ridiculous. Neither of these men were talking about a person in that manner. I have a mentally challenged brother and I am touchy about that word being used in any way, but I am not so naive (or cynical) to imagine that everyone who uses it is a bad person. IMHO, more troubling than all of this is how Mrs. Palin seems to use that beautiful little boy as a prop to play politics.

February 4, 2010 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  13. Sally

Is Sarah concern about Rush Limbaugh using the "R" word at least four times?

February 4, 2010 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  14. Dave

I'm the father of the child who is much more severely mentally disabled then Ms. Palin's and all I have to say is that she needs to find some real issues.

February 4, 2010 07:59 am at 7:59 am |
  15. Joshua Ludd

Well, of course she isn't asking HIM to be fired. He isn't a democrat.

February 4, 2010 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  16. tom

um, you're looking for consistency from the GOP? good luck with that.

February 4, 2010 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  17. Anonymous

I'm all for sensitivity of others but I wonder when our sensitivity crosses over our rights to free speech. I really don't think this is an issue as the "R" word wasn't directed at an individual. If I'm wrong, I'll get over it and learn but where is the line of freedom?

February 4, 2010 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  18. If you want something ruined, put a republican in charge

Sarah, you are a dim witted hypocrite! I demand that you demand to have this person fired. I further demand that you demand to have Gasbag Limbaugh fired for using the word 'retard' in a negative sense, not once, but four times.

February 4, 2010 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  19. aproudmemberoftheunpatrioticmob

Hooray for CNN, The daily Palin story. Just one today. The libertards may be feeling more hateful, you better do two. Palin defending the rights of the mentally challenged, that should get some wonderful degrading and demeaning responses from CNN fans. Fox News thanks CNN for all of the Palin stories they publish, it helps their ratings and shows liberals for the mean, disgusting slimy creatures they are.

February 4, 2010 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  20. If you want something ruined, put a republican in charge

If Sarah is outraged if a democrat uses the "R" word, but is not outraged when republicans use this kind of language, she lacks values. It makes her look cheap and stupid.

February 4, 2010 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  21. GOPer

Let's see if this ding bat has the stones to ask Rush to quit.

Amazingly enough, I have the answer: NO

I'm offended by dumb Republican's and I ask Palin to immediately step down!

Will she: NO

She won't quit again till she is pounded like a nail in the GOP Presidential primary.

February 4, 2010 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  22. dawn

I've always been a Palin fan, with the only objecting being that I felt she belonged home with her kids until they were grown. HOWEVER, I think it is pretty rediculous when so called conservatives are all of a sudden playing like sissy liberals when it comes to getting all worked up over the use of common, legitimate words. HELLO SARA !!

I give her the benefit of the doubt and WON'T accuse her of simply using her sons issues to her advantage in the political area. Yes, I have always turned my head and looked the other way on what appeared to be shameless tactics. But I don't know how much longer I can keep it up.

February 4, 2010 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  23. Special Ed. Teacher

Retard – To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede

Ex. The rotation of the earth is being retarded by the moon.

Politically correct people need to get over themselves and realize that words are just that, words. If this man had called someone a retard, then I could understand the uproar. However, he implied that the proceedings were being retarded by peoples intrusion into the negotiation process, and that is completely understandable and a very appropriate use of the term retarded.

February 4, 2010 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  24. A Guy

This is, well, retarded. Come ON already, this is a common term in use in the American vernacular that is not always used as a disparaging term against people with mental disabilities. Political correctness, particularly Palin's form of selective political correctness is RETARDED!

February 4, 2010 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  25. Bob Kimball

I was experiencing engine knock on my 1979 Cutlass last week, and had my timing retarded. I am deeply sorry. I will rectify the situation and use premium gas from now on instead.

What is wrong with the world? Political correctness has gone amuck! "Retarded" is a generic word and not in any way an insult to the developmentally disabled.

February 4, 2010 08:09 am at 8:09 am |