February 7th, 2010

Clinton proud to be an 'MOTB'

Washington (CNN) – She’s the nation’s top diplomat but one of her more difficult negotiations may be sartorial.

In an interview that airs Sunday on CNN’s State of the Union, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton tells CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley that both she and daughter Chelsea are still on the look out for the perfect dresses for Chelsea’s upcoming wedding.

“Well, if you don't tell anybody, Candy, we're - we're still looking,” Clinton told Crowley, who recently had to buy a dress for her eldest son’s wedding. And it's - it's a new status for me being an MOTB [mother of the bride]. But I'm very proud to have that status,” the secretary of state added.

“Good - good luck on the search. That's all I have to say,” Crowley advised Clinton.

“We're working on it,” Clinton assured Crowley.

The secretary of state was also diplomatic about Sunday’s big Super Bowl battle between the Indianapolis Colts and the New Orleans Saints

“Oh, you know, I don't answer football questions,” Clinton said when asked who she was rooting for in Sunday’s game. “Because to be honest, I don't follow it.

“Now if my husband were sitting here,” Clinton continued, “he would give you a very long exegesis as to why one team was better than the other. But I'll just leave it to see what happens at the Super Bowl.”

Asked whether the former president has given her any suggestions about which team she should support, Clinton insisted both she and her husband had no dog in Sunday’s fight.

“Well, no. Because neither of them are our teams. I mean it - there's not a New York team. I mean we're - you know, so we're just interested observers.”

1. Tailor

That's easy, the one the wicked witch of the west wore is available.

February 7, 2010 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  2. rachel

Good luck on the dresses ladies.

February 7, 2010 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  3. dpatterson

Oh please. Enough of Hillary! Candy's interview was so "softball" and touchy feely. She is just another political hack!!!!! The only one on CNN that has any credibility if the guy on Reliable Sources.

February 7, 2010 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  4. Kevin in Ohio

Might I suggest a birkah? That's where Obama's policy is ultimately leading us....

February 7, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  5. jacki-o

This is a personal moment and decision between a mother and daughter. Why is this a news story?

February 7, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  6. Willy Brown

Wonder how many blue dress lines will pop up here?

February 7, 2010 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  7. Nugent for president

They better not get anything tight fitting, they need something a little more loose to hide their wieners!!

February 7, 2010 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  8. D.D.

Maybe one day Sarah Palin and Todd can meet the Browns and blow up the cameras. Together they can run on the Tea Party ticket and maybe be all that they can be for that party with M. Steele leading the charge to them.

February 7, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  9. Sara

Thank God that Candy has replaced John King. It just has been so boring to watch his program. Now I can again watch a good and balanced political program on CNN on Sundays.

February 7, 2010 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  10. Death Panel Sarah

YOU PEOPLE ARE SO SICK!!!!!!

Her daughter is getting married!!!!

Leave your HATE behind for one minute!!!

February 7, 2010 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  11. LouAz

Great job CNN. You equate the Sec of States job to picking a wedding dress. It is becoming clear what you know about politics – nothing.

February 7, 2010 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  12. tim

I watched Ms. Crowleys program this morning and was shocked of her bias. Her comment about Palins speech to the Tea Party, that she watched because "lack of anything else to do" was totally B/S. lets have non-bias reporting. CNN may want to look at the ratings as your viewership is not on the increase.

February 7, 2010 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  13. valwayne

Let's pray that secretary Clinton is also looking for her wardrobe for the 2012 promary season, and let us pray that she will challenge Obama and restore sanity to our national Government. Hillary 2012!!!!

February 7, 2010 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  14. Ron - St. Louis

Congratulations to the Clinton's, especially Chelsea and future husband. May they have a long, happy, and loving life together.

Three Cheers to you!

February 7, 2010 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  15. Midge from Ohio

I wish them the best and hope they have fun shopping for all the wedding finery! There are alot of mean posts on here, you people need to get over it and get a life.

February 7, 2010 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. Barbara Caniff

Sounds like some people are a little jealous. Let them do what they want.

February 7, 2010 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  17. @ NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Have you considered professional help?

February 7, 2010 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  18. Minnesota gal

I hope they dont go to "Say Yes to the Dress". I have never seen such ugly dresses and THEY ARE PICKED.

February 7, 2010 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  19. Agnes

I love having Candy Crowley as host of CNN's Sunday talk show! She is one of the best on CNN and LOVE listening to her analysis! She definitely puts the boys like John King and Wolf Blitzer to shame with her communication skills. Giving her this show was WAY over due on CNN's part. It just shows the subtle sexism that goes on inside the media? Of course there is denials all around but MSM is slow and a lagging indicating to what is going in in society. It is why they are so clueless and think they know what is happening!!!

Congratulations Candy! I will continue to watch you instead of the passes for Sunday news in the media!!!!

February 7, 2010 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  20. Salida Lilly

Ok, lay off Hillary and her daughter. I'm sure there are moments when you can include personal questions with politics. I'm sure you do know Hillary is human right? Take in deep breaths and let her enjoy moment of her success in raising a well balanced, strong, beautiful and smart daughter. I can't wait for that wedding! Congratulations Chelsea!

February 7, 2010 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  21. Boston Irish

I think no matter what dresses they choose for the wedding, they will both look beautiful. They are two very good looking women and my contratulations to both of them..to Chelsea on her upcoming wedding and to Hilary for being a wonderful mother to her gorgeous daughter.

February 7, 2010 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  22. Nugent for president

Professional help....because I accidentally spelled weiner wrong? Sorry.

February 7, 2010 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  23. american patriot

Chelsea Clinton is Marrying a GOLDMAN SACHS THIEF.
    His Father was indicted for a PONZI Scheme and stole Millions.
    Clintons and Goldman Sachs. We all know now

Chelsea

February 7, 2010 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  24. duh ray ray

Good luck Hillary.I bought the same dress for my son ,little willy.

February 7, 2010 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  25. Susan in Florida

Relax folks, your bias is showing. Crowley is a seasoned veteran and nothing less than balanced reporting is expected of her. The problem is we are never certain the 'information' we get from any news channel, reporter/journalist is fact or opinion. When all that counts with any of them is ratings, how can we expect to be a factually informed public?

Crowley and Hillary, the other seasoned veteran, was a nice soft touch and breath of fresh air.

February 7, 2010 11:58 am at 11:58 am |