February 8th, 2010

McCain's daughter questions Tea Party movement

Sen. McCain's daughter Meghan said Monday that young people are turned off by the Tea Party movement.

(CNN) – Sen. John McCain's daughter called into question the political stature of the Tea Party movement Monday and sharply criticized a former congressman for his controversial comments at a recent major gathering of these conservative activists.

Former Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colorado, slammed President Obama on the first night of the Tea Party convention last week in Nashville. Tancredo, known for his outspoken views on illegal immigration and his disdain for Sen. McCain, charged during his speech that "People who could not even spell the word 'vote', or say it in English, put a committed socialist ideologue in the White House. His name is Barack Hussein Obama."

Tancredo also expressed relief that Sen. McCain, the 2008 Republican presidential nominee, lost his White House bid. "Thank God John McCain lost the election," Tancredo said.

Related: Tancredo gave 'fantastic speech,' convention organizer says

On Monday, Meghan McCain fired back.

"People were saying that this is the new movement in the Republican Party," McCain said during an appearance on 'The View.' "I did not want to go [to last week's convention]. I have (a) very much different, ideological differences with them."

And she described Tancredo's comments as "innate racism."

"And I think it's why young people are turned off by this movement. And I'm sorry [but] revolutions start with young people. Not with 65-year-old people talking about literacy tests and people who can't say the word 'vote' in English. It's ridiculous."

Meghan McCain also decried the divisiveness and partisanship in American politics and the growing populist rage that has powered the Tea Party movement.

"Maya Angelou says we have more in common than we do apart," she said. "We need to use this message in politics more."

Meghan McCain added, "This rhetoric will continue to turn off young voters and anybody that says different is smoking something. Period."

Filed under: Extra • Meghan McCain • Popular Posts • Tea Party movement • Tom Tancredo
  1. Guest

Ms. McCain, while I agree with your assessment that young people are completely turned off by loons in the Tea Party talking about taking America back – makes one wonder where these suddenly conscious loons were over the last 8 years when one of their own was creating a $1.3 trillion deficit – young people don't vote in midterms elections aimply because the majority of them are apathetic.

As much as we'd like it not to be the case, the tea party is a force to reckon with.

February 8, 2010 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  2. leave obama alone tea party people

Meghan McCain is right on with this. I have to say that the Tea Party people are really showing their ignorance by promoting racism and the majority of Americans which includes Latinos, Blacks, Asians, and Indians are turned off with their negativity. If the Tea Party was about promoting positive things for our country, then they would be relevant. So far they are promoting Anti-Americanism. Meghan is right that young people are turned off by the Tea party. From what I've noticed is that the Tea Party is catered towards old white people, rednecks., naive little town people, and that pea brain Palin lady.

February 8, 2010 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  3. Paul C.

The visceral Obama hatred by every Republican is absolutely amazing. They have such hatred I am surprised they don't have ulcers and can sleep at night. It is very obvious that Washington is going to operate without the participation of the Republicans. There is no question in my mind that it is 40% from the loss of power and 60% racial. They can deny it but the truth is the truth.

February 8, 2010 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  4. Dennis F

'Bipolar Disease' is doing substantial damage to this country. We go for four to eight years with one political extreme at the helm of our government, then turn around for four to eight years with the other political extreme at the helm. The only thing that either political extreme is good at is screwing this country up in such a way that they can blame the other extreme for the damage done.

Both extemes are very good at that!!!! Just look what it has done for us. We are now sinking ito third-world status and neither extreme has the brains to realize that it is their own 'Bipolar Disease' that is driving us downward.

The 'Tea Party' movement's roots may be people with good intentions, but the movement is being hijacked already by extremists. If the Tea Party Movement has any chance of fixing this country, they had better shun the extremists from BOTH sides. If they don't, they will just become another 'blunt instrument' in the war between the fools.

No respect intended.

February 8, 2010 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  5. Ron

Meghan is hot and she speaks her own mind.And is smart.I see her as our next president .Not Sarah Palin.She is nothing like her father

February 8, 2010 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  6. proud conservative

I would expect nothing less from Ms. McCain. She is a liberal Republican just like her father. I too am glad that Senator McCain did not win. It will make conservative victory in 2010 all that more sweet.

February 8, 2010 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  7. chuck league

I truley believe that this so called "tea party" is nothing but a bunch of rt wing nuts that, they can,t believe,we "americans" didn,t like what ,or how the country was drove into the ground for the past 8yrs. ever since i was able to vote some time ago every time a rt wing gets into office they get just like the so called "tea partiers"and the redrick they shove towardseveryone. Ido believe "stupiedty breads stupiedty" take the former person who was running for vp.and all the redrick shes dishing out and making a ton of money from all these stero people ,and they"ll keep giving till the all get on wellfare themselves. can,t bilieve that all these so called relgious people doesn,t think "god"isnt watching or they think the escalater to heaven won,t be 20feet short where will they all end up when their standing on the top step with no one to help?

February 8, 2010 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  8. Sleepytime

I certainly hope she's right.

February 8, 2010 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  9. southern cousin

This is the kind of dumb story on the Political Ticker that shows why Fox News 3AM show beats any CNN show, at any time of day. Are you feeling lonely libertards, enjoy each others company.

February 8, 2010 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  10. KO

She has more guts and integrity than her father. Whatever happened to John McCain the "maverick", or the "statesman". Now he's just a bitter old man and sore loser–part of the Republican "just say no" machine.

February 8, 2010 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  11. blacksparrow

Trying to get Republicans to embrace a big tent philosophy that involves compromise and invites non-whites into it? Good luck with that. Not seeing it happen in my lifetime, but I'm young and I did live to see the first black President, so anything's possible.

February 8, 2010 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  12. Annie from WI

Good For You Meghan! I am a 46 year old life-long progressive and I voted for Obama. I admire your courage to speak your mind. I am very impressed with you.

February 8, 2010 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  13. Bill

Now we are going to be treated to some sort of tirade from that McCain kid.She like her daddy is all for illegal immigration so she doesn't have to work cleaning house. Let the wetbacks do it for pennies a day.Adn she would not allow Tancredo any freedom of speech.But she is powerless to stop us...Thank you very much.

February 8, 2010 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  14. John in Dayton

Thank you, Meghan McCain! I'm not a Republican, but I love Meghan's take on this. It is so refreshing to hear someone want to see politicians work together instead of grandstand. If anyone should run for president, maybe Meghan McCain should!

February 8, 2010 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  15. Charlie in Maine

Take back your party before it is too late. If they take over the GOP completely you could always become a Blue Dog (no offense)

February 8, 2010 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  16. Stop the Nonsense

If opening night speaker Tancredo is an indictation of what the Tea Party represents, then you can have them! The man is a bigot. Just because he did not specifically calls Black, Hispanics or young people out by name ( Iwon;t even mention gays!), his insinuation was there in the comment that those that voted for Obama could not even spell "vote".
    As an Italian American, I know many people who think like this man.
    closed-minded, ultra -conservative, ignorant and completely unaccepting of anyone that is not like him. I'm only surprised he wasn't wearing a wife-beater on stage.
    I'm ashamed to say I'm Italian if he is what is to be a spokesperson for us.

February 8, 2010 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  17. rob

I love Meghan. She tells it like it is. Daddy could learn a thing or two from his wise daughter.

February 8, 2010 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  18. Anonymous

OH PLEASE, and just what are Meghan McCains qualifications? She needs to focus on creating something more productive of her life and gaining some experience before making absurd judgements and pronouncements. She has 0 credibility.

February 8, 2010 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  19. Norcal DM

Wow, a republican with heart, a brain and a lack of political divisiveness. Too bad these types never get elected because they are not fascist enough for the republican party.

If the republican party wants to rely on racists like tom tancredo, people will get turned off by these politicians. They will either get disillusioned and not vote, or switch to the democratic party who actually encompasses the openness and diversity which most in the republican party detest.

February 8, 2010 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  20. Anonymous

thats why j.m. didnot win, he was a rino, all rino's must be fired!

February 8, 2010 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  21. Gary Ray Betz

Little do I concern myself with the racist rants of the chicken-hawk Congressman Tom Tancredo who faked depression to have himself rated with a 1-Y deferment to evade the Viet Nam War draft. Yea, real "brave" Tea-Party activist; you got there; supports a war but is too cowardly to fight in it himself. Yep, that's quite a figurehead these morons have.

February 8, 2010 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  22. Mary Kay

I am a dedicated, loyal Democrat and find Meghan a refreshing breath of fresh air for both parties. Thank you, Meghan.

February 8, 2010 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  23. Dale

This young woman is absolutely amazing. She makes sense in everything she says. The Republican Party needs to send Palin back home to Alaska and have this young voice take over the party. She is smart, articulate, and know's the importance of working together on the issues. We need to come together as a country, I would vote for her in a second, and I am a Democrat.

February 8, 2010 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  24. Brian

I actually again with Meghan McCain, even though I did not vote for her father. I'm still behind the president and prayer people would focus on doing their jobs so that he can do his.

I'm tired of the political jockeying for position while my peers lost jobs or struggle to manage their jobs with double/ triple work responsibilities due to downsizing.

Wake up GOP! Wake up DemS! Wake up Tea partiers!...WE ARE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT!

February 8, 2010 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  25. Keith in Austin

Meghan McCain has a right to her opinion. However, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

February 8, 2010 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |