February 9th, 2010

Governor denies drug, sex rumors

Governor David Paterson defended himself Monday in an interview with the Associated Press.

(CNN) - New York Gov. David Paterson defended himself Monday from rumors of womanizing and drug use, describing these unfounded reports as "outrageous," during an interview with the Associated Press.

"For the last couple of weeks I have been the subject of what, even by Albany standards, has been a spate of outrageous rumors about me," Paterson told the AP.

Despite rumors of drug use and gallivanting, Paterson told the AP he hasn't used an illegal substance since his early 20's and rarely eats dinner outside of his home. He also said he hasn't had sexual relations with another woman in more than 10 years. Both Paterson and his wife have previously admitted to extramarital affairs in their past.

The embattled Democratic governor, who is serving the remainder of former Gov. Elliot Spitzer's term, also criticized some reports in the media about his life as "callous and sleazy."

Paterson specifically pointed his finger at the New York Post, which reported late last month that a state police officer caught the governor involved with a woman who wasn't his wife. Paterson said the room he was supposedly caught in doesn't even exist. The Post stood by its reporting in a statement to CNN.

Paterson also blamed the spate of rumors on an investigation that The New York Times is reportedly working on about Paterson's private life. The governor said that investigation has "spawned a bunch of speculations that are so way out that it's shocking."

"There is an accountability that should exist in the media," he said. "How do I get my reputation back? Because I don't believe I have done anything to deserve this kind of bashing."

Paterson added he is determined to press on with his election campaign despite the rumors, a flood of negative media attention, and polls that show he trails likely Democratic primary opponent and the state Attorney Gen. Andrew Cuomo by as much as 40 points.

Filed under: David Paterson • Popular Posts
  1. Jane/Seattle

Character assassination is a rampant problem in politics today. True or not gets left for the reader/hearer to decide or the final truth to come out later. Lack of Ethics is also another rampant problem!

All sides have their fair share of ethical challenges to report. I think we need to be careful, as an electorate, to look for the type of Integrity we need for effective leadership today. Peace

February 9, 2010 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  2. Sam Sixpack

If, as the article claims, Paterson denies RUMORS, then this article is all about spreading rumors. Nice try.

February 9, 2010 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  3. Janice Lamison

Did Wolf Blitzer really say anyone having to use a teleprompter to remind them of what they want to say is an idiot?

February 9, 2010 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  4. jules sand-perkins

One cannot prove a negative.
    Govenor Paterson has displayed great honesty in the past, perhaps to his disadvantage. Why would he lie about these accusations?
    The Govenor's accusers need to support their assertions with evidence.

February 9, 2010 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  5. Justin

Patterson already came clean about his past mistakes when he started office, and New Yorkers appreciated that. These stories sound like fabrications to me.

What really matters if if Patterson should continue on as governor, not the political gossip. He's done things which have angered me as a New Yorker, but he's also taken risky stands which I've supported.

February 9, 2010 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  6. Obama Victim

this guy is a democrat...the chances of him telling the truth are very very slim

February 9, 2010 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  7. PA conservative

Wow... and the Republicans are the party of hate. Left to their own resources, the democrats will destroy each other.

February 9, 2010 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  8. Hammerer

What is the problem? Just standard political operating procedure.

February 9, 2010 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  9. LacrosseSon

Hang in there, Paterson! It's exquisite watching you go down in flames.

February 9, 2010 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  10. J.Williams san diego

Why does everyone keep picking on corrupt liberal democraps?

February 9, 2010 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  11. Texas Jack

If there's smoke there's fire.

February 9, 2010 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  12. rev garcia

I actually watched the whole show. I just flipped the channel to see what's going on & right there Sarah Palin came to the stage. Did not intend to watch but out of curiosity I kept it there to hear what's going to come out of her mouth.

At first I was scared of the way she talks then later on realized she made a lot of sense. Indeed, if you are going to be a commander-in-chief you have to be tough. It doesn't concern me as I am a Canadian but if I were an American I will consider all the things she said and not the footnote she wrote on her hands.

Why do people of this age linger on the mundane stuff and make it big rather than discuss what matters. Americans need not vote for her but her issues are valid that people should be aware & discuss.

February 9, 2010 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  13. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Bring back Spitzer; at least he was honest.

February 9, 2010 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  14. Objective Thinking

40 points, ouch. Even before these rumors, Paterson's numbers were low. What is NY blaming him for exactly?

February 9, 2010 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  15. Obama hates Paterson

It's a shame what Obama is doing to this guy

February 9, 2010 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  16. NATHAN

BOY THE CROOKS ARE PULLING OUT ALL THE STOPS TO GET THIS GUY OUT OF OFFICE. I LIKE HIM DON'T GIVE UP DAVE

February 9, 2010 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  17. RC/Nashville

If he was a Republican is would have been gay sex and crystal meth use.

February 9, 2010 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  18. Padraig

I am so happy that I no longer live in the State of New York. From Rockefeller to Patterson none have shown any concern about New York outside of NYC, Albany, Rochester, Syracuse, and Buffalo.

I go back to see my family yearly and I am in utter amazement how much worse it can get. It is criminal.

For me, it doesn't matter if they are democrat or republican – you need to collect them all and put them on a deserted island with a bottle of water.

February 9, 2010 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  19. cynt

@ Obama victim " this guy is a democrat the chances of him telling the truth is slim"

You have to be the dummest person on earth. Bush lied and decieved morons like you for 8 years, and yet you try blame the democrats for the countries mess. Obama victim what you need to do get the facts and change your stupid name to BOZO the clown.

February 9, 2010 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  20. Fitz in Texas

My my my....looks like Gov. Paterson didn't bow down to Obama and his administration so now Obama and his administration are going after Gov. Paterson and not hiding these rumors. See what happens when the President says jump and your answer isn't "how high."

February 9, 2010 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  21. Robert

I bet he didn't see that coming?

February 9, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  22. Eric in Denver

Don't worry MR Patterson based on your crazy views and horrific record you have guaranteed yourself a position in the Obama administration. He will appoint you as the czar of corruption and at the same time triple your salary!!!

February 9, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  23. MikeH

Rev Garcia is a paid Repuublican sycophant, and not a very smart one.

CNN, just who in your senior editor staff authorized this rumor-mongering, completely journalistically unprofessional ticker article?

Is CNN trying to compete with Faux Spews?

February 9, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  24. BRS

Nothing else but the usual leftist immorality and decadence.

February 9, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  25. Scott S

@ rev garcia: Obviously, you are very naive if you believe she knows what she is talking about, she does not have and never will have the burning desire to know, and formulate her own views, she is an ad-lib wannabe, with a far, far right, nutty following, she is all attitude with no substance.

White trash....