February 9th, 2010

Governor denies drug, sex rumors

Governor David Paterson defended himself Monday in an interview with the Associated Press.

(CNN) - New York Gov. David Paterson defended himself Monday from rumors of womanizing and drug use, describing these unfounded reports as "outrageous," during an interview with the Associated Press.

"For the last couple of weeks I have been the subject of what, even by Albany standards, has been a spate of outrageous rumors about me," Paterson told the AP.

Despite rumors of drug use and gallivanting, Paterson told the AP he hasn't used an illegal substance since his early 20's and rarely eats dinner outside of his home. He also said he hasn't had sexual relations with another woman in more than 10 years. Both Paterson and his wife have previously admitted to extramarital affairs in their past.

The embattled Democratic governor, who is serving the remainder of former Gov. Elliot Spitzer's term, also criticized some reports in the media about his life as "callous and sleazy."

Paterson specifically pointed his finger at the New York Post, which reported late last month that a state police officer caught the governor involved with a woman who wasn't his wife. Paterson said the room he was supposedly caught in doesn't even exist. The Post stood by its reporting in a statement to CNN.

Paterson also blamed the spate of rumors on an investigation that The New York Times is reportedly working on about Paterson's private life. The governor said that investigation has "spawned a bunch of speculations that are so way out that it's shocking."

"There is an accountability that should exist in the media," he said. "How do I get my reputation back? Because I don't believe I have done anything to deserve this kind of bashing."

Paterson added he is determined to press on with his election campaign despite the rumors, a flood of negative media attention, and polls that show he trails likely Democratic primary opponent and the state Attorney Gen. Andrew Cuomo by as much as 40 points.

Filed under: David Paterson • Popular Posts
  1. Bill from CA

Wow...drug use and sex scandals?!? You'd almost thing he were a 'family values' Republican. Of course, the sex scandals most of them have usually involve other men, but still...

February 9, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  2. Jon

Is there any way we could just GET RID OF ALL POLITICIANS???
    Would we even miss them? They are all a couple of rungs below used car salesmen.

February 9, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  3. tag

this is the work of obama and his chicago cronies to discrete this man because every knows they do not like him. does anybody any more believe the ny times and post...........please!

February 9, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  4. Tom

Another corrupt politician. When is it going to end? Clinton, Spitzer, Kennedy, Edwards, Sanford, Blago, Obama. The list goes on and on. There are so many, I can't name them all. No political affiliation, both Democrat and Republican alike feel they are above the law of moral behavior, not only of politicians but as citizens of this country. They get into office by our vote, to only satisfy their own self interests.

February 9, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  5. piere

Extra Extra! Governor Loves the Strange!

February 9, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  6. d1120

Typical democrat.

February 9, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  7. Chad

Where is all this global warming you liberals are always crying about??? Its cold outside, I have 30 inches of snow on my deck and the weather man just said “more snow is on the way”. I hope global warming kicks in soon. I tired of the snow.
    I hope you all realize there is no such thing as global warming. It’s just scare tactics and propaganda, so liberals/socialist can control the people.
    I’m trading in my Prius for a SUV. We need some more green house gases in the atmosphere to warm things up!

February 9, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  8. The lonely Libertarian of Liverpool NY

I'm certainly not a supporter of my Govenor, but this is just plain wrong. He has do nothing and that is one of his biggest problems, he has none nothing. I believe this lies are coming from his own party, if this was not true why would the New York times report it, they are owned by the Democrats.

February 9, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  9. Texican

Let's see. Obama tries to talk Patterson out of running for re-election. Now someone is spreading rumors about Patterson. Gee...I wonder who could be trying to manipulate NY elections?

February 9, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  10. reshalefhe

@ rev garcia

"Why do people of this age linger on the mundane stuff and make it big rather than discuss what matters."

This is the same question many of us ask with the petty criticisms of Pres. Obama

What applies to the goose, has to be applied to the gander.

February 9, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  11. Honest AB

You know I just don't get. Why do people grab at the chance to slang mud at people when they themselves probably have either committed the same acts or have lived thru the very same situations. American has become so gossipy; just a bunch of tabloids frenzies. Waiting to sniff at the next stinch in the air. Can you imagine if all our dirt was spreaded across the country? I bet we wouldn't be so easy to spread someone else business or jumping at the chance to put your two cents in.

Let these people live their lives and we should tend to our own. Maybe, if we focus more on our own households, there wouldn't be so many divorces and children being tossed from house to house. America need to grow the heck up!!!!!

February 9, 2010 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  12. Honest AB

You know I just don't get. Why do people grab at the chance to slang mud at people when they themselves probably have either committed the same acts or have lived thru the very same situations. America has become so gossipy; just a bunch of tabloid frenzies. Waiting to sniff at the next stinch in the air. Can you imagine if all our dirt was spreaded across the country? I bet we wouldn't be so easy to spread someone else business or be jumping at the chance to put your two cents in.

February 9, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  13. Dave

Has he played the race card yet? Let's see how long until he does.

February 9, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  14. Northpark

HAHA yeah, I almost believe that, whats next? That he eats children?

February 9, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  15. FEDFL

Well, if the New York Post (FoxNews' ugly step-sister by Rupert Murdoch) says it then it MUST be true!! Right.

If the New York Times actually publishes an investigation of Paterson, then I might believe it.

Until then, this is nothing more than another pathetic attempt by "conservative" pathological liars to slander anyone who doesn't goose-step to their fake-religious facist dictatorship.

February 9, 2010 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  16. MatthewDetroit

The funniest part about all of this is that the rumors are all from his own party.

The Dems themselves started this because apparently Barack wants him out of the race.

The Democrats are a terrible people.
    Now they are going after a poor, blind, black man, with a sex and drug addiction. Maybe they should help a brother out...

February 9, 2010 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  17. brian

The dude is blind, he should have all the sex and drugs he likes.

February 9, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  18. MatthewDetroit

Funnier is the pass that the Democrats are giving Barack while he

drives the country off the cliff.
    They claim and blame President Bush, but Barack is making the decisions and he is the one who owns two houses of congress. Now the whiner is blaming the supreme court. Good job Chavez.

1.45 Trillion added to the national debt in 2009
    1.60 Trillion to be added to the national debt in 2010
    1.50 Trillion to be added to the national debt in 2011
    1.35 Trillion to be addend to the natinal debt in 2012...

And the CBO said these estimates may be low.... Nice Work Barack.
    Welcome to communism...via forced socialism to start...

February 9, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  19. MatthewDetroit

Fidel Castro was quoted today as saying Barack is doing a great job in America....hahahahah

February 9, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  20. RCasson

Just drop out of the race already. Guilty or not, you are headed for a big loss. Dems need a chance to win. Get OUT like Obama told you to!!!!

February 9, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  21. New York Observer

As the Governor said – how could I have sex with that woman; I never saw her before in my life .........

February 9, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  22. Franky, Land of Lincoln

My sex life is "sleazy and callous."

...I bet you would like to know too but I don't know about Gov Patterson, I don't know about that now. I would to see the facts whether is true or not, but I wouldn't judge him just yet.

February 9, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  23. Allen

Is this the same guy that had drug "rumors" surface last year? Is the same guy that stood up to the OBAMA on the KSM trial ? Patterson is toast....he pissed off the OBAMA. Axelrod, Rahmbo and the rest of the Schutzsaffel in the OBAMA'S charge will finish Patterson.

February 9, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  24. dave

The Gov may or not be "guilty" of these "charges", considering NY Post/Times are pilloring their own. Now, there isn't any purpose for the GOP to do it since they would have no problem beating the Gov in the election. So who might have started this? Could it be Andy?

February 9, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |