February 9th, 2010

New York governor vows to stay in office

Washington (CNN) – New York Gov. David Paterson vowed Tuesday that he would not allow unfounded rumors to drive him from office and pledged to run for his own four year term in November.

"Let me let you know this: The only way I am not going to be governor next year is at the ballot box and the only way that I will be leaving office before is in a box," Paterson said at news conference he called Tuesday to discuss the winter storm headed for his state.

While the focus of the news conference was supposed to be about the weather, Paterson was peppered with questions about his personal life. The governor has been dogged for weeks by rumors of womanizing and illegal drug use.

"There hasn't been one shred of evidence that any of these charges that were made against me were even true," said a defiant Paterson, who stood behind a podium with the state seal.

The governor noted that the rumors began circulating at the same time he began gearing up for his campaign.

"The rumors started simultaneous to political calls that I started making asking for support to run for re-election," said Paterson. "But I am not trying to implicate anyone and I am not going to start any rumors myself after what I've been through. The last thing I'm going to do is blame this on any of the other candidates or any of the people who work for them. I don't know who did this believe me if I knew I would be addressing it."

But Paterson said he did think that the planting of the rumors was "somewhat orchestrated."

"And it is really a shame that this much energy has to be devoted to false allegations, unsubstantiated rumors and in some cases straight out lies," said Paterson, who was lieutenant governor before assuming the governorship in March 2008 when then-Gov. Eliot Spitzer resigned.

The rumors are reportedly linked to a profile piece that The New York Times is working on about the governor. Paterson said he contacted a Times editor last week about the rumors. He was interviewed for the story Tuesday, but the governor said that he was never asked to address the allegations.

"I was interviewed for that piece today," said Paterson. "No such questions related to any of that information was asked of me in the interview."

The governor said that his family doesn't appreciate the rumors, but added they have told him to stand his ground and "don't give up."

Filed under: David Paterson • Extra • Popular Posts
  1. Jane/Seattle

Wait long enough and the truth usually is revealed! How would I know? I was never there!

But about the truths regarding Bush/Cheney and these wars of choice, WE DO KNOW! Who will hold them accountable? President Obama, in just moving on, IS violating his own Oath of Office as are those in Congress who are NOT upholding these Laws – both ours and internationally! Where might we find an honest judge and jurist who uses Objectivity rather than opinions and political expediency?

February 9, 2010 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  2. Larry, SD

Now there's a warm fuzzy thought for his voters.

February 9, 2010 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  3. Susan

this is what happens when a nominated person gets a taste of power....
    Patterson came into power without contesting elections and now he won't leave it.... wait till the same stuff happens in Burris situation.

February 9, 2010 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  4. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

This Governor needs to stop talking about the rumors and talk about what he's doing for the City during this awful weather because he's beginning to sound like he's doing nothing.

February 9, 2010 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  5. Rick

what happened to his admissions of affairs at the holiday inn on the tax payer dollar and the cocaine use. Those weren't unfounded when he told us he did them right after replacing that hypocrite Spitzer.

February 9, 2010 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  6. Rick CT

And defy the all powerful St. Barack??

February 9, 2010 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  7. Fitz in Texas

Looks like this administration is yet throwing another person under the bus. First they destroy you then they throw you out. Must be pretty crowded under that Obama bus.

February 9, 2010 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  8. Fitz in Texas

Two lines that Paterson should remember:

1) I smoked it but I did not inhale it
    2) I did not have sex with that woman

Seems it worked for Bill Clinton when he was caught so Gov. Paterson when you get caught use these famous Bill Clinton lines. If it worked for Bill Clinton it should work for you.

February 9, 2010 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  9. Andrew

He needs to leave and let Democrats find a better candidate for New York.

February 9, 2010 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  10. Stop the Nonsense

Good for him! All these accusations withouot any proof shown need to be prosecuted.
    If they have anything to back up the cliams- make it public. If it did not take place during his political life then shut up and go away!

February 9, 2010 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  11. Kate

That is right, Gov. Stand your ground and don't give up. I wonder who started the rumors....could it be a republican???

February 9, 2010 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  12. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

Governor Paterson is very much like President Obama, in that he is DETERMINED to do the people's business, even if it costs him the election... By THAT I mean that he has stood up to NY Congress and called them out for playing politics instead of resolving the budget issues.
    He'll have my vote.

February 9, 2010 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  13. Bob

Patterson is a horrible Governor and People of NY Cant wait to see Him leave. He hates State workers, and he says he makes cuts, but are Budget has increased since Governor Patki Left. I want Spitzer Back!

February 9, 2010 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  14. Bambi go Boom

That governor has to go!

February 9, 2010 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  15. J.P.

Yes, please do stay in office. We need you as a very public example of what we're fighting against.

February 9, 2010 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  16. Jerr

Give it to em Governor Paterson! You have done a great job since taking over in these difficult times.

February 9, 2010 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  17. Mooker

If Sarah Plain keeps spreading rumors of running from the White House in 2012, the democrats should have no trouble getting elected. They should actually fund her campaign, if they know what's good for them.

February 9, 2010 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  18. Minnesota gal

WHY are democrats supposed to resign and these republicans not. SANFORD did something illegal and he is still in office and the SC congress gave him a slap on the wrist and enabled him to stay in office.

But the republicans raised such an outrageous fit they forced Spitzer to resign and now they want Paterson to guit.

Again the partisan crap in congress has got to stop. The republicans LOST THE ELECTION, the democrats were not appointed like someone we all know, so they should shut the Hades up and either sit down or TRY to help the Democrats and Obama get this country back in shape.

February 9, 2010 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |