February 16th, 2010

Clinton ponders Palin presidency

(CNN) – While the thought of a Sarah Palin presidency may leave some Democrats running for the hills, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton joked Tuesday she will "not be emigrating" should the former Alaska governor win a White House bid.

Clinton was asked during a town-hall meeting at an all-women college in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, if she would consider moving to Canada or Russia instead of living in the United States under a President Palin.

Clinton was amused.

"Well, the short answer is no. I will not be emigrating," she said to laughter. "I will be visiting as often as I can."

Clinton, who is on a tour of the Gulf Region, also took aim at the never-ending nature of the American political process.

"It is part of the American political environment that people are always speculating on who will run for president and who will become president," she said. "And I have gone through that experience personally so I am very well acquainted with it."

"But I am not going to speculate on who might or might not be nominated by the Republicans," Clinton added. "I am very proud to support Barack Obama and I will continue to support Barack Obama."

Clinton battled Obama for the Democratic nomination in 2008, nearly bcoming the first woman to capture a major party's presidential nomination.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Jane/Seattle

If this woman learned nothing else from Bill, she did learn to keep her mouth shut and employ diplomacy!

February 16, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  2. Hugo

I find her ridiculous, the whole birther issue originated from Phil Berg a Philadelphia lawyer and DNC strategist for Hillary Clinton in the primaries. I always find it humorous how the left makes so much fun of the birther's when it was one of their own that created the whole issue. Go Dems!

February 16, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  3. Emma

It is sorta fun to talk about the what ifs that are not likey to occur.

February 16, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  4. Emma

It's sorta fun to talk about "what ifs" that are not likely to happen.

February 16, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  5. jean campbell

WE SUPPORT PRESIDENT OBAMA !!!
    WE SUPPORT PRESIDENT OBAMA !!! GET RID OF BAD CHENY !!!

February 16, 2010 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  6. Indy

The entire world ( except for America) thinks Palin is a joke and it is time for people to take the Presidentcy serious and for all people in power to start telling the truth that Palin is never going to be cut out for the Whitehouse. How are people suppose to have faith in investing in the future of the USA with the nightmare thought that she would one day have control of the free world. This joke has got to stop and people have to get serious about looking for real and qualified leaders in public positions and Palin just does not have what it takes. She has a job at Fox and that is where she belongs, int the entertainment business.

February 16, 2010 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  7. ted

Palin needs to understand that the whole world has heard of her and they are laughing at her. They must also be concerned that some Americans actually are supporters of Palin's white trash doublewide lying job quitting ignorant ways. But we have John McCain to thank for bringing her into the limelight along with that buffoon Joe the plumber werzelbagger moron. McCain is insane to have pushed two complete morons into the limelight. Those repukelicans are stupid.

February 16, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  8. J.Crobuzon

"President Palin?" I'd leave the country. I've got family to consider.

February 16, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  9. charlotte

I'm surprised she could keep a straight face at the question. But since Barbie has NO chance of getting in the White House, a question asking what one would do is kind of irrelevant.

February 16, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  10. Lee

Is this actually being considered??? I had thought it a very elaborate joke, but it was hardly funny and doesn't seem to be fading...in fact, the prospects of her gaining any political office is absolutely terrifying...even though we can be certain she would quit shortly into the tenure...

please, please , please go away...t is easy to see that underneath your very thin veil of 'poor me' you are supremely arrogant, sarah palin...but even you must be getting sick of seeing your face and listening to the supremely unqualified and hypocritical statements, the you claim make you 'everyday american'....well, i like to think everyday americans aren't entirely ididotic

February 16, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  11. Lee

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

please, please , please go away...it is easy to see that underneath your very thin veil of 'poor me' you are supremely arrogant, sarah palin...but even you must be getting sick of seeing your face and listening to the supremely unqualified and hypocritical statements, the you claim make you 'everyday american'....well, i like to think everyday americans aren't entirely idiotic

February 16, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  12. Larry Blom

A 'Palin Presidency'?? That those words are actually being spoken can only be interpreted as further evidence of this country's slippery-slope slide into the Third World. Have we really become that stupid?

February 16, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  13. Patty in California

The difference between these 2 women is so stark.....brains vs no brains, class vs no class, style vs no style, poise vs no poise......etc, etc....not to mention the command of the English language possessed by Hillary vs NOT by Palin....OMG, what a head-shaker

February 16, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  14. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

ROTFLMAO. Even people in Saudi Arabia know that Sarah Palin is an imbicil. I can't speak for Hillary, but I'm out. amsterdam, here I come.

February 16, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  15. Charlie in Maine

Leaving our country in her hands without staying to peut up a fight is the last thing I would do and Im not surprised Hillary feels the same way.

February 16, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  16. Kevin in Ohio

At least Hillary is smart enough to know how good this country can be. All you lefties who want to go to Canada when Palin is elected, I'll be glad to help you on the plane.

February 16, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  17. Russell

The most prudent of politicians dance around any questions about Palin .Why ? Because they know that she has no intelligence and no substance , that's why most politicians let questions about Palin go pass them . Why comment on someone who makes up her own idiot answers and answer's everythingt with that shrillof a voice , Betch'a by gollie g.....she'll never have what it takes , and I think the American people will surely let her know that if she ever attempts to run for POTUS .

February 16, 2010 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  18. Orange Curtain, CA

Please enough CNN of all the Sarah Palin hype. Why do the media correspondents perpetually keep asking Democrats about Palin?
    Just because Clinton is a woman? Give it a rest and do some real work, by asking Clinton questions on her actual job i.e. foreign policy.

February 16, 2010 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  19. britto-fl

It's frightening to think this women who writes on her hand quit as governor and is proven to be stupider than Bush can be taken seriously as a Presidential material. We have become the duh..americans all for looks and no subtsance. Are we now going to compare her to Hillary Cliton statue,, My god Cnn, give it up for that stupid women Sara Palin, will ya! Please she's a joke to the whole world, and they are commenting on it.

February 16, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  20. her 911

The woman has shown that she is tireless and capable.

February 16, 2010 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  21. Lotta Muni

I don't think I would consider voting for Palin as pres any more than I would have considered voting for Obama, even though I suppose she has more practical experience than Obama did when he launched his campaign. All Obama had were some decent speeches and a few catchy campaign slogans. I would've voted for Biden for president, though.

February 16, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  22. stevegee

A Palin presidency would never disgrace the White House like Hillary's hubby did.

Still enjoying your cigars Bill?

February 16, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  23. JJ-Orlando

Ha HA ha. My wife and I are trying to figure out which country is best to move to. If by the end of the year, the federal trade commission and banks are not easing up on credit score requirements and years of employment for home loans and business loans, I am selling my paid off home to foreign investors and we are going to leave this country to rot in its capitalistic hel. I think Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Canada ,France, Norway, All seem to be in good spirits this year after visiting.

February 16, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  24. Ryan

Let's clarify CNN, it's not that democrats are scared of Sarah Palin because she's a credible threat to the Nation. People are scared of her like anyone riding in the back seat of a drunk driver would be – because that's essentially what her leadership would be like.

Sarah Palin represents low-education voters who are too stupid to realize how incredibly manipulative and just plain DUMB she is. And Sarah Palin is in fact DUMB. (Just ask all her formal colleges that passed her around like a hot potato because her grades were so unsatisfactory)

Although I would love to see Hillary Clinton tear Sarah a new one – and we all know she could and would if she wasn't busy actually doing important work like she is now. I have never been a fan of Hillary Clinton until now having seen how AMAZING she has been as a Sec. Of State. Hillary Clinton, love her or hate her, is the most powerful woman in American Politics today both in character and on paper.

February 16, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  25. ObamasRecordDeficit

Hnnnn,

We'll see. In 2016 the old bat will be TOO OLD.

Besides, what has she accomplished as SEC of STATE?

Uh, nothing.