February 16th, 2010

Clinton ponders Palin presidency

(CNN) – While the thought of a Sarah Palin presidency may leave some Democrats running for the hills, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton joked Tuesday she will "not be emigrating" should the former Alaska governor win a White House bid.

Clinton was asked during a town-hall meeting at an all-women college in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, if she would consider moving to Canada or Russia instead of living in the United States under a President Palin.

Clinton was amused.

"Well, the short answer is no. I will not be emigrating," she said to laughter. "I will be visiting as often as I can."

Clinton, who is on a tour of the Gulf Region, also took aim at the never-ending nature of the American political process.

"It is part of the American political environment that people are always speculating on who will run for president and who will become president," she said. "And I have gone through that experience personally so I am very well acquainted with it."

"But I am not going to speculate on who might or might not be nominated by the Republicans," Clinton added. "I am very proud to support Barack Obama and I will continue to support Barack Obama."

Clinton battled Obama for the Democratic nomination in 2008, nearly bcoming the first woman to capture a major party's presidential nomination.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Jill, California

Palin in a debate again President Obama...Priceless! If nothing else, she may just have to actually answer the moderator's question; no winking this time sister......and then maybe, finally, voters will see how much she DOESN'T know.

February 16, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  2. Former Republican

I'm hoping we can give Alaska to Palin and all of her friends. Palin can be President of Alaska and take all the people that seem to hate this country with her. We can revoke their citizenship and they can go somewhere that they don't have to pay taxes. When all the haters are gone we can have our Country back. I do feel sorry for any minority or educated person that may live in Alaska. They seem to hate minorities and the educated. If one is an educated minority they get a double dose of hate.

February 16, 2010 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  3. Danny

I just have to believe that not even staunch Republicans are stupid enough to trust the future of the country to a dim bulb like Palin, right? RIGHT? Well they did allow W to play president so I could be wrong!

February 16, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  4. Ed Scanlin

The Phony People that lead the Republican Party today are not
    your run of the mill Republicans. They are the Military/Industrialists,
    near Fascists, that are waiting for a new Adolph Hitler to arrive
    o the scene. He has not come forth. They have all sorts of
    second level candidates–Palin, Limbaugh even Beck--but
    there is no one that has exhibited any leadership qualities
    that would turn the heads of American voters.
    They have stolen the funds, three trillion dollars, for a "Fourth Reich".
    Sort of "all dressed up with no place to go" situation.

February 16, 2010 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  5. Irma in North Carolina

How could any body on this earth even begin to compare Sarah to Hillary. If Sarah lives to be a 100 she would never be the woman that Hilllary is. Sarah is just like her tea bagger family all they can do is hate run out of their mouth. They want some one in the white house who has to right notes on her hands. She would also have notes written on Todds hands has he would be in their too, just like he was in Alasaka. She goes over to a foreign country and reads a speech an puts the us down and the president down. She would be dumb enough to do this to her self if she was in there. Her tea bagger family are a bunch of uneducated (just like herself) racitis who dont like a part black man as president. Of course we can blame the people in her state for voting her in as governor. Also her parents get part of the blame for bringing her up like this. And yet they are proud of their little girl.

February 16, 2010 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  6. Ramses

A great Lady. Keep doing great job for the country & the people. Let God almighty do the rest.

February 16, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  7. Larry

It is absolutely hilarious that people even pose the question (over and over again} that Palin might somehow be considered by the American public for an office she is so obviously not qualified to hold

Absolutely Hilarious ...

Could we PLEASE get serious when talking about this moron ... !!!

February 16, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  8. Angy

GO HILARY!

February 16, 2010 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  9. Tim in Minnesota

Dear CNN: What in the heck are you talking about when one of your writers says: "While the thought of a Sarah Palin presidency may leave some Democrats running for the hills..." What kind of comment is that? Now I'm no big fan of the D's these days, but "running for the hills?" I have never heard of any Dem who is afraid of Sarah Palin. Afraid of what? That she'll run 3 years from now? Depending on whose poll you read (the exception must be Fox News Opinion), a very strong majority believe that she's not qualified to be president of our country, from both D's, I's AND R's. She would get the backing of the 25% of the country who will buy what the base tells them to buy, but that isn't going to be nearly enough.
    For the life of me I still can't figure out what people see in this person. She is a walking talking point with no substance. Will someone please tell me one substantive thing she has said about improving our economy. Empty statements such as, "We need to help small business in our country" or "We need to take back America" says nothing. We need serious leaders in our country for the future ahead and if Sarah Palin is the best the R's have to offer that would indeed be a sad future for what used to be a proud political party.

February 16, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  10. Ruddie

Can you imagine–a Palin presidency, a Tea Party legislature and a fundamentalist Christian high court? Why, it'd be just like the Inquisition days of old. God forbid!

February 16, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  11. mjm

Do we have to put up with the libs speculating about Palin running for president for the next 2 years? That's all these people ever talk about.

Give it a rest.

Clinton should move to Canada so she can bask in the glory of Socialism.....or even Communism if she moves to Russia!

February 16, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  12. Shame...hillary..no tact...

Hillary I was a huge fan of yours....and the title Secretary of State means to have the utmost tact...........Sarah Palin will have the last
    laugh........come november 2012......................................................!!!

February 16, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  13. Terry from West Texas

Because Sarah Palin is not very smart, poorly educated, is connected to anti-American secessionist groups, and is a pathological liar, many rational Americans dismiss her as a political player. She is quite a loose cannon, but she has a lot of appeal and I see her as very dangerous.

As the front-woman for a group of very ambitious and ruthless men who provide her with talking points and train her, she could convince many Americans to vote for her. We Americans are pretty naive, and we tend to believe what we hear rather than what we see with our own eyes. I hope Palin self-destructs soon. She is her own worst enemy.

February 16, 2010 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  14. If I was crazy, I'd be a conservative too

A Sarah Palin presidency would indicate that Americans prefer stupidity and being pretty over a president being intelligent.

February 16, 2010 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  15. I TOOK THE ISTHMUS

Now this is a lady: Beauty and brains!
    (and excellent sense of humor).
    Sarah Palin would have gone on and on explaining one thing then another and finally end with every single listener staring at the question mark above th head of the person in front of them!!

February 16, 2010 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  16. Frozone

No sense leaving the country if Palin is eleceted. She'll quit as a lame duck before her first term is over.

February 16, 2010 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  17. Zoltan

What a stupid question. At least the Russia part. I can't imagine that life would be better in a Communist dictatorship than under Sarah Palin. (By no means do I intend indicate that her tsardom would be fun though!)

February 16, 2010 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  18. If I was crazy, I'd be a conservative too

After surviving a Bush presidency, I do not think America could survive the lack of leadership from the quitter from Wasilla.

February 16, 2010 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  19. JOHN

I am very proud to support obaMA.....well...now I am since he kicked my but...darn it...IW AS THE SHOE IN!!!...Oh well....secretary of state is not so bad....I get to visit lots of places and smile alot...hmmm....just like my hubby ol slick willy.
    Palin, me, or my neighbor would make a better president than hillary or looser obama!!!

February 16, 2010 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  20. SH in TX

Wouldn't that be an interesting Presidential race: An intelligent, educated, articulate, knowledgeable woman, against a moron. Palin wouldn't stand a chance.

February 16, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  21. Jay

I see Sister Sarah is now taking on Family Guy concerning a segment poking fun at her in their last episode; but she's doing so through her daughter. What is with this hypocrite/quiter/racist/homophobe (after their convention, I'll call anyone a racist/homophobe who rubs shoulders with the dim-witted, all white-meat, Tea-baggers)? She demands firings of anyone she doesn't agree with politically who uses ta derivation of the word 'retard' behind closed doors, but when the same thing is said by someone on "her side" in public she whines that they were being satirical or their intentions were misunderstood. And now she hides behind her daughter? What a total loser from, oh my, Al Aska.

February 16, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  22. EL

The world see's her for what she is a clown!!!

February 16, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  23. Jayden,FL

Clinton/Bayh 2012!

February 16, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  24. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

If Boob Palin ever wins the White House, Canada will have to pull up a fence to keep us rational Americans out.

February 16, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  25. aware

In the current POTUS we are witnessing the failure of a messiah figure infected with the virus of self-centered arrogance and narcissism. :(

A new creation transformational change is above his pay grade!

February 16, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |