February 16th, 2010

Clinton ponders Palin presidency

(CNN) – While the thought of a Sarah Palin presidency may leave some Democrats running for the hills, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton joked Tuesday she will "not be emigrating" should the former Alaska governor win a White House bid.

Clinton was asked during a town-hall meeting at an all-women college in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, if she would consider moving to Canada or Russia instead of living in the United States under a President Palin.

Clinton was amused.

"Well, the short answer is no. I will not be emigrating," she said to laughter. "I will be visiting as often as I can."

Clinton, who is on a tour of the Gulf Region, also took aim at the never-ending nature of the American political process.

"It is part of the American political environment that people are always speculating on who will run for president and who will become president," she said. "And I have gone through that experience personally so I am very well acquainted with it."

"But I am not going to speculate on who might or might not be nominated by the Republicans," Clinton added. "I am very proud to support Barack Obama and I will continue to support Barack Obama."

Clinton battled Obama for the Democratic nomination in 2008, nearly bcoming the first woman to capture a major party's presidential nomination.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Amanda

How about Palin get a little more than her joke of an undergrad degree. Oh and by the way, once you hit your 40's, cute doesn't work anymore sweetheart. You will never speak for this woman because I'm not an idiot like you are. Grow up and grow a brain.

February 16, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  2. Michelle

Hillary if you are reading this please run again! You have the chance to get Amercia back on track. I believe in you and the vast majority of Amercians do as well. After all you did win the popular vote! Im glad that you will stick by Obama through his term if that is what you wish.
    Please run again, your healthcare plan makes more sense. Our country is ready for a woman and you are that woman! Obama is in over his head and the country is falling apart. "IT takes a Clinton to clean up after a BUSH"!!!

February 16, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  3. hjs3

Suspect the Madam Secretary showed great restraint and decorum with her answer...

Nice job Hil....

February 16, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  4. MatthewDetroit

People forget that in 2008 she was running for VP not President.

I would say that she would have been a better VP then the liar, exageration king Biden. The guy is a walking joke a bafoon.

As far as Hillary she is just bitter. She was whooped and steamrolled by Obama. She never looked up and she lost while they played the race card on her and every other card they could find.

Hillary should have stayed a Senator and she would have had a chance in 2012. Instead she is in the background. That is why she is bitter. Besides the fact that she married to move up on the food chain and has been cheated on her entire life. Smart woman. Great value system.

February 16, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  5. csh

Hillary – smart, poised, classy, dignified, attractive, well-informed. Raised a bright, well-adjusted, successful daughter.

Palin – NONE of the above!

February 16, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  6. Anthony

I didnt know the thought of Palin running for President sent Democrats running for the hills...

Isnt it quite the opposite? Dont Democrats WANT her to run?
    Wouldnt she all but assure an Obama re-election?

I still never understood the argument that people are "scared" of this woman. Its hollow. Anyone with half of brain arent worried about a woman like Palin. If anything, theyre petrified at the millions of not-so educated people who blindly follow her and would actually cast a vote in her name as the leader of the free world.

Me, myself, I find it insulting that anyone would put intelligence on the back burner to this regular-jane soccer mom. I honestly have more education then she does, and would NEVER want her making the "tough" decisions for me.

Hillary shouldve really said how she feels..."This Palin woman is an embarrassment and a mockery to politics"

February 16, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  7. jj

To me it's like she is thanking Palin for pounding on President Obama. Anyone?

February 16, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  8. Bubble of Sanity

...and she means that with all her heart, right up to the campaigning season coming next year, when she will stick the knife in deep, and twist it. Mr. Obama, hire someone to watch your back.

February 16, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  9. Torin for Lawrenceville Ga

Maybe Hillary will be staying home, but I will be finding some deserted island to live on if Palin becomes President. Yipes!!
    My hair is standing on end just thinking of this possibility.

February 16, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  10. Lets Move

"Millions of DemocRats and liberals said then that if George Bush was elected president, they will definitely moved to Canada or Europe. Guess what, Bush was elected twice, none of these crazy people have the gut or courage to move to Canada."

Joseph, I am still trying to move to Canada but can't get the wife to go. Canada is a lot nicer than the US and the people are much happier. Not to mention a longer life span, that probably has something to do with all of that bad "socialized medicine" and happiness.

February 16, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  11. ThinkAgain

I Can't Stand It: Here's a newsflash for you: Fox makes stuff up, all the time!

If you bothered to do a little research, you'd see that Fox is the one engaging in willful propaganda.

February 16, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  12. Chris D.

I too Sec. Clinton, will continue to support President Obama.
    Obama/Biden 2012!!!

February 16, 2010 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  13. from the middle

A loud mouthed fringe of this country can't wrap their tiny heads around this president. A woman (even a less than intelligent woman) would probably lead to mass suicide by the teabaggers!

February 16, 2010 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  14. ThinkAgain

I don't like Palin because I've always had a short fuse with people who knowingly lie, hurt others and pretend to be better than everyone else because they say, "Praise Jesus!" on a regular basis.

Palin is the antithesis of what Christ taught about compassion, love, tolerance, honesty, forgiveness and inclusion.

Not once in the Bible does it say, "Take My word and use it as an excuse for all your bad behavior."

And yet, that is EXACTLY what Palin and people like her do all the time.

I stand by my analysis: Palin is and always will be nothing more than a Quitter, a Liar, and a Mooch.

February 16, 2010 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  15. Jonathan

From BillinCalif:

THAT'S RIGHT HILLARY, STICK WITH OBAMA. You are well known for 'hangin' on' to LOSERS.

I have to imagine you're referring to President Bill Clinton, the "loser" who left office with a major buget SURPLUS and an the strongest economy on record since WWII.

From I can't Stand it

I Can't Stand It February 16th, 2010 3:41 pm ET

There went the key word – Palin; now let's watch the leftist hate-mongers come out of the woodwork. Makes me wonder about that half a percent of TV viewers who watch CNN, no wonder Fox crushes them in the ratings every day, people get tired of hearing propaganda

um...what? You can have whatever polical leanings you want, but you can't really believe Fox is anything but propoganda.

They just read the Neocon (notice, not Republican) talking points.

I'm one who enjoys the process of the debate, the subject is almost irelevant, but if you truly believe Fox is fair and balanced, you aren't worth debating.

February 16, 2010 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  16. Kathleen

To WoW

And you call Palan "A Political Figure? I don't think Sarah has earned that! She quit the governorship of Alaska! I wonder what Alaskan's
    regard her as "A Political Figure!

Liberals, you think, hate and bash? Ya think? Well, I suppose all
    the Tea Party signs are not considered "dispicable to you.

And, by the way, YOU write a letter to your congress rep to offer
    advice and quit telling liberals to take action. YOU write your letters!

February 16, 2010 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  17. Bubble of Sanity

Boy you CNN people really like to stir up the sheep pen. You just say the word "Palin" and they all start bleating just like Orwell's sheep in "Animal Farm." And I think they are cutting and pasting, because it's the same brainless drivel.

February 16, 2010 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  18. Four and The Door

What an interesting question for the women in Jeddah to ask Hillary. Even in Saudi Arabia they can see the excitement Sarah Palin stirs in America. Finally a woman stepping forward on her own with real ideas and unbeholden to special interest groups. It is great to see Sarah Palin's ascendency in national politics. 2010 proves we don't need another slick lawyer indebted to a variety of deep pocket supporters. We need someone really working for Americans across the country. We need someone like Sarah Palin to straighten out a really distorted Federal Government in Washington DC.

February 16, 2010 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  19. Will

I'm a conservative, and I would one million times rather see Hillary Clinton elected President than Sarah Palin. If Palin can't even handle a pesky tv reporter, how could she handle hostile world leaders of nations such as China, Iran, and North Korea?

February 16, 2010 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  20. Kate

Heaven forbid!! She wouldn't know the first thing about leading a country. Someone would be running her,oh, now that is scary too. So does someone want her in there because they know she can't think and they could get what they want?????

February 16, 2010 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  21. Ferret out the BS

Yes, President Palin would be a joke!

February 16, 2010 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  22. ThinkAgain

Clinton was very gracious in her answer. Here she is, working tirelessly to help stabilize a very dangerous part of the world, with Iran making threats about its supposed emerging nuclear capability, putting in long hours for her country.

And people somehow think that Sarah "Wait a minute, I've got the answer written here somewhere on my hand" Palin could be President of the United States?!?!?

February 16, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  23. Kathy, DC

President Palin? I hope republicans are not that stupid. At the end of her first term she would declare war on Iran because she thinks that's what get presidents reelected in this country.

February 16, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  24. ART

Well i can only hope that there are enough smart people out there who vote, so that could never happen, after all we need a President who can read and write and make sense

February 16, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  25. CoffeeBeatsTea

@I Can't Stand It – If you really think that Fox News has no propaganda, you are very delusional. to compare Fox to CNN / MSNBC is silly in regards to ratings. Think of it this way. the Matrix movie made about 170 million. The movie Planet of the Apes movie made about 180 Million. Just cause it made more doesnt make it a better movie.

February 16, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |