February 16th, 2010

Clinton ponders Palin presidency

(CNN) – While the thought of a Sarah Palin presidency may leave some Democrats running for the hills, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton joked Tuesday she will "not be emigrating" should the former Alaska governor win a White House bid.

Clinton was asked during a town-hall meeting at an all-women college in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, if she would consider moving to Canada or Russia instead of living in the United States under a President Palin.

Clinton was amused.

"Well, the short answer is no. I will not be emigrating," she said to laughter. "I will be visiting as often as I can."

Clinton, who is on a tour of the Gulf Region, also took aim at the never-ending nature of the American political process.

"It is part of the American political environment that people are always speculating on who will run for president and who will become president," she said. "And I have gone through that experience personally so I am very well acquainted with it."

"But I am not going to speculate on who might or might not be nominated by the Republicans," Clinton added. "I am very proud to support Barack Obama and I will continue to support Barack Obama."

Clinton battled Obama for the Democratic nomination in 2008, nearly bcoming the first woman to capture a major party's presidential nomination.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. greyparks

i guess all u liberals no everthang about running a country?

February 16, 2010 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  2. Sherry

To all those who still complain that President Obama has not yet fixed all the problems 8 years of poor leadership left him, I ask you...have you ever had to clean a child's bedroom that was completely destroyed during playtime? I'm telling you...it takes a lot longer to clean up someone else's mess than to make the mess...especially when it was a child.

February 16, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  3. Blessed Geek

Hey people! Susan Collins (R-Maine) for President, people! Palin is pales in comparison to her.

February 16, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  4. dd

Kevin in NoDak – You have the best answer by far!

February 16, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  5. Chas in Iowa

Let's see she was a supporter of the movement to allow Alaska to secede from the USA.
    She quit her elected position as Governor of Alaska for her family (supposedly).
    She had to hire someone to write her book for her.
    She was nomimated as the liar of the year in 2009 for her remarks stating the health care bill would start killing old folks.
    She has a less than elementary level understanding of the geography.

Yup,....sounds like a GOP candidate to me.

February 16, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  6. David

Please run, Sarah, please run and let the world know once again what a brilliant nation we are. I know you'll do a better job than President Obama with his hoighty toighty Harvard education and his ridiculous notions of justice.

February 16, 2010 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  7. Wisconsonite - Vote for Consumer Protection Regulation of the Financial Industry

Actually, I don't think I'd be able to live in a country that would actually elect someone like Sarah Palin as president. That would mean that the incredibly ignorant fraction of this country had somehow gained control and that's just way too scary.

February 16, 2010 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  8. Scott

A lib would be in agreement with a same sex school in muslim country. I love they way Palin threatens the enemies of our constitution. The majority is not always right. Remember they put an ACORN leader in office.

February 16, 2010 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  9. Carmelle

Libertarian February 16th, 2010 3:35 pm ET

ok...so I have to ask....if the "soft approach" our President is taking with foreign governments is not working why such great news from Pakistan today?

Under Bush, Pakistan was filing complaints with the UN for the rocket attacks inside its borders. Since President Obama sat down with them, they allowed us to increase our rocket attacks AND they've helped us capture/kill many many many more than under Bush. Actually...did Bush get any?? oh yeah.... he got Sadam but that was for his Dad...not the American people.
    _____________________________________________________

Facts don't matter to too many in this country. Look at Cheney this passed week-end! He had to admit that even Bush did not agree with him on military courts and that's why they happened....and now he wants to talk trash about Obama for not listening to him either. Unbelievable.

February 16, 2010 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  10. charlotte

If the Palin-worshippers want a dose of the TRUTH about their Barbiepoo, they should go get the book "Going Rouge." Note this is NOT Palin's ghost-written "Going Rogue." Note ye intellectually challenged teabaggies, the difference between "Rouge" (a form of cosmetic used to make the cheeks pink, and old fashioned sort of 'blush') and "Rogue." Get the Rouge one. Read it. It does use some big words but they're at least founded in the facts. Very interesting what back-room double-dealing and low-brow undertakings this harpie was involved with. But since her agenda is primarily to shove her own narrow and misguided "religion" down everyone else's throat, you probably won't think there's anything wrong with all the things she has done, because you are those sorts who think that everything is justified in the name of some false 'religion' masquerading as Christianity.

February 16, 2010 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. Reality bites

Four and the Door is in such a bad state of mind. A man asked the question number one. Secondly, Sarah Palin is showing capable of only leading the blind, misinformed, close-minded Americans who long for a time when "they" were in charge. She's for people who lack diversity, change, and progress for all Americans and not just mom and pop in the same genetic pool.
    It's a shame people like "Tea Partiers" don't think beyond their selfish selves and see SP and the simpleton she is. Though financially smart, she is clueless as a leader and lacks good parenting skills. She's a pathetic waste of time!
    However, I wish she would run for President, so that I, SNL and everyone else can have some fun again. I miss the campaign trail. Her inability to provided me many hours of laughter. hahahahahahaha

February 16, 2010 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. scott p.

Sarah Palin couldn't even run Alaska let alone the Usa. Why anyone would entertain the thought of this Half-Baked Alaskan running the country is beyond me. Those prescription drugs you right wingers are taking a dangerous and potent!

February 16, 2010 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  13. Marie MD

Good for Hillary. I can't believe that the US citizens would lose their minds on the first Tuesday of November (or earlier because she will never become their candidate) and vote for this uneducated twit.
    Then again, if the world is really going to end in December 2012 this would be a good start.
    All the quitter is doing is making more and more money for herself and that dysfunctional family of hers. She knows she will NEVER get hear the WH unless she walks by in one of her many trips to the lower 48 to "help Alaska".
    Ya betcha! wink, wink.

February 16, 2010 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  14. gwen

@ Josh

Oh I can definitely dispute that Palin is more qualified than Obama – lol – the woman is uneducated and ignorant!!! Obama is an intelligent, educated, hard working President and considering the hand he was dealt is doing a great job – I shudder to think what would be going on if Palin/mcClain had won – Josh you need to speak for yourself and not assume others agree!!

February 16, 2010 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  15. MG

this is a joke.... I would love to see Palin do a great job if she were ever elected. Dems keep complaing but they don't realize what a failure OBAMA IS! anyone right now would be better than the guy we have in office now!

February 16, 2010 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  16. MG

TO Wisconsonite – Vote for Consumer Protection Regulation of the Financial Industry.... are you an idiot? isn't that the definition of OBAMA and the DEMS now? YES!

February 16, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  17. Nolan

Josh,
    Are you out of your mind? Palin isn't qualified to manage a Burger King. People like you frighten me. Seriously. People should have to take an IQ test to be able to run for President, (and V.P), as well as a prerequisite to vote. If it were a requirement, the scenario of lunatics like Mrs. Palin becoming president and brain-damaged people like yourself voting for her would not keep people up at night, worrying for the future of humanity. I genuinely feel sorry for you and wonder how you made it this far into life being completely disconnected from reality as you obviously are.

February 16, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  18. Joe

Some incredible idiot actually wrote on this comment page that sarah is more qualified than Obama to be president. Some idiot named josh. This is where our country is going. I'm moving to Alaska if sarah becomes president. She's never there and maybe it's the only place that won't get bombed!

February 16, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  19. sophie

Palin for President? Well, about the energy crisis, she would "drill, baby drill", about Iran she would "bomb, baby, bomb", about Health Care "die, baby, die" because if you can't afford absurdly expensive insurance, that's exactly what you will end up doing with no health reform. If her job gets to hard and congress starts to give her a bad time, she will "quit, baby, quit" like she did in Alaska. Palin is a divider, not a uniter. We need someone to provide unity, not tell us we are not "real Americans' simply because we disagree or call the media "gotcha liberal media' because the ask questions. My job as a TRUE American is to question. That is what freedom means. I will ask questions of both Democrats and Republicans. And sorry but I want the President to be smarter than me by far.

February 16, 2010 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  20. Jann in Denver

Can we please stop pondering if this fool will run for Pres in 2012! I just can't believe we would sink so low as to put her in a position of power over our lives.

For God's sake, she has a son with Downs Syndrome but yet its ok with her that we refer to people with developmental delays as retards! Doesn't that tell us that she is lower than an ameoba?

CNN, HAVE MERCY ON US ALL AND NEVER MENTION THIS IDIOTS NAME AGAIN!

February 16, 2010 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  21. Sadie

Did you read where Palin is not allowing any media in on her next two speeches in Florida? She said if they want to be there they have to buy iickets like everyone else (several hundreds of dollars)......tell me this wacko isn't out for just the money........it wouldn't be any different if she was President.......everyone in Congress and all media would have to buy tickets to her Innnaguraltion, buy tickets to her State of the Union Speech, this woman is so far out of touch it is crazy.......

February 16, 2010 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  22. FactCheck

while i dont like palin. she is more qualified than obama, nobody can deny that.
    ------

The idiocy of the wing-nuts continues to astound. Do yourself a favor and open a newspaper every now and then (provided you can read).

February 16, 2010 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  23. A.B.

I would emigrate to Canada if Sarah Palin were to ever become President of the United States. This would spell the doom and ruin of our country under that incompetant nitwit. Seriously and fortunately, a Palin presidency is highly unlikely. The majority of American people are not stupid enough to vote someone like Sarah Palin into the U.S. Presidency. However, I fear the minority of Americans who would.

February 16, 2010 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  24. polly

Wisconsite- That's already happened.

February 16, 2010 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  25. Trish

Kevin in NoDak – brilliant answer.

Anyway, goes to show the tremendous respect Obama has outside this country for the terrific job of his administration. Just why I paid every penny I could to get him elected and why I still cheer on a daily basis.

February 16, 2010 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |