February 16th, 2010

Clinton ponders Palin presidency

(CNN) – While the thought of a Sarah Palin presidency may leave some Democrats running for the hills, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton joked Tuesday she will "not be emigrating" should the former Alaska governor win a White House bid.

Clinton was asked during a town-hall meeting at an all-women college in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, if she would consider moving to Canada or Russia instead of living in the United States under a President Palin.

Clinton was amused.

"Well, the short answer is no. I will not be emigrating," she said to laughter. "I will be visiting as often as I can."

Clinton, who is on a tour of the Gulf Region, also took aim at the never-ending nature of the American political process.

"It is part of the American political environment that people are always speculating on who will run for president and who will become president," she said. "And I have gone through that experience personally so I am very well acquainted with it."

"But I am not going to speculate on who might or might not be nominated by the Republicans," Clinton added. "I am very proud to support Barack Obama and I will continue to support Barack Obama."

Clinton battled Obama for the Democratic nomination in 2008, nearly bcoming the first woman to capture a major party's presidential nomination.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Richard L

Palin needed to write a note on her hand to talk about tax cuts to the Tea Bagger convention. So much for her intelligence.

February 16, 2010 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  2. SocialismBad

Obama, the inexperienced community organizer and Messiah has been a MASSSIVE FAILURE. FACT.

Sarah Palin could not be worse. FACT.

Democrats hate and fear FACTS.

February 16, 2010 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  3. JT from MO

February 16th, 2010 4:47 pm ET

JT from MO-you're an environmental eugenics wacko–quit watching 'avatar'.
    ----------------------–
    I'm a wacko; now that's a first. If you think that offends me, you are seriously mistaken. If you disagree with my idea, please offer up an alternate plan to clean energy independence that all of us can see. I also assume that you think I am a "left-wing looney" who does not know the difference from a conservative from a liberal when I see one. Well, here are the definitions to both of them:
    Liberal: Liberalism (from the Latin liberalis, "of freedom") is the belief in the importance of individual liberty. This belief is widely accepted today throughout the world, and was recognized as an important value by many philosophers throughout history.
    Conservatism: (Latin: conservare, "to preserve") is a political attitude that advocates institutions and traditional practices that have developed organically, thus emphasizing stability and continuity.

I pesonally take an even combination of both of those, and do so proudly. Still, if you think nuclear, natural gas, american oil, solar, wind, hydrogen, geothermal, and hydropower energy is a "wacko" idea, come up with an alternative that is more impertinent than mine, If you have one, I want to see yours, now!
    Besides, you're an example of how far divided our political system has become; I am tired of it. I am neither associated with the left or the right; I am associated with my own ideas, and no party is going to stop or force me to vote a certain way; I vote with my head, not my emotions like some others do.
    Since, you hate my idea so much, I am going to repeat it again, so you can understand what I said: Now listen up!
    I think a way we can revive not just the entire automotive industry, but our economy as a whole, is to reform our economy to clean energy independence.
    What then are attributes of a sustainable economy in the information age?
    1. Populations of humans and other organisms living in harmony with the natural support systems such as air, water, and land (including ecosystems).
    2. An energy policy that does not pollute the atmosphere, cause climatic damage such as climate change, or present unacceptable risk ( a political or social decision).
    3. A plan for renewalbe resources such as water, forests, grasslands, agricultural lands, and fisheries that will not deplete the resources or damage ecosystems.
    4. A plan for nonrenewable resources that does not damage the regional to global environment while ensuring a share of our nonrenewable resources is left to future generations.
    5. A social, legal, and political system that is dedicated to sustainability with a democratic mandate to produce such an economy.
    To achieve a sustainable United States economy, it is necessary that we:
    1. Develop an effective population control strategy.
    2. Completely restructure our energy programs; a sustainable US economy cannot run on fossil fuels for too much longer. Conservation of energy must have a central place in our energy management plans.
    3. Institute economic planning, including development of a tax structure that will encourage population control and wise use of resources.
    4. Implement social, legal, political and educational changes that provide for maitenance of a quality local, regional, and universal environment.

February 16, 2010 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  4. Dean

We would have to form some sort of grass roots party oh say like the tea baggers and have bus tours around the country. Carry hateful signs with pictures of her as hitler and make up lies about her. Oh and carry guns to the rallies held around the country. wink wink...

February 16, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  5. walleye

If Palin becomes prez, she wont be calling the shots. Others like Bohner, Limbaugh, and the KKK will be. She is one hot looking chic, but absolutely the dumbest person to be in public office. Maybe thats why she quit???

February 16, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  6. Grundoon

If Palin were to win I would go to France to reserach the old family tale of Louie and the concubine regarding my Hugenot great-great-great-great-(great-great. . . . ) grandmother, Lady Katherine. I'll be back when she outta there!! Since Bailin' Palin's popularity wanes daily she's likely not even going to run when it's time and I will have to wait until retirement to do that.

February 16, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  7. Paul

How is Obama a failure????? The only people who say he's a failure are those who care more about their own party, their own religion, their own race, and their own economic class than they do about the country as a whole.

February 16, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  8. RickInLA

Anyone who could possibly vote for Sarah Palin in a Presidential bid is either uneducated (seriously) or totally out of touch with reality. The thought of this gun-toting, ignorant and uninformed woman anywhere near the oval office should scare the hell out of any half-way intelligent person. Should America EVER reach the day Ms. Palin is elected to high office then I, unlike Hillary, will head for Europe. As Inesco wrote in "Rhinoceros"... "Je ne capitule pas!".

February 16, 2010 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  9. SCOTO

Please Lord make it stop

February 16, 2010 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  10. And What About Iran?

Since we're so often relegated to discussing the Palin family here, I'm going to simply start my own thread.

I think we've about worn out the strategy of warning and threatening Iran. Since 2003 the E3 (France, Germany and the UK), the UN and the United States have all taken turns with this strategy. But how many times can you continue to say "If you don't straighten out we're going to give you another deadline!" and expect something new to happen?

The Russians will continue to hint at supporting sanctions (but never really do it) and the Chinese will openly resist them. For seven years we have tried to find a way to work this strategy. But it hasn't worked.

So what now, Grasshopper?

February 16, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  11. chris haynes

I live in North Carolina, and, believe me, people will vote for her. I'm not in favor of a poll tax, but an IQ test couldn't hurt. Based on the editorials in the papers around Winston-Salem, 90% of the citizens here must hold a PHD in economics – with a concentration in "socialism". Either that or "socialism" is the ONE buzz word they can remember from Fox Entertainment.

February 16, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  12. David

We have made the most significant capture since 9/11 and people are still not willing to give credit to President Obama. Just amazing. As " country first" as Sarah Palin claims to be, I'm quite shocked at how silent she has been on this matter.

February 16, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  13. andrew

No everythang? Ignorance is bliss – as a die hard Republican – I rue the day that we put a lady who cannot stand up to Katie Couric in a place where we might rely on her to stand up to a Putin. Palin is not a Republican – she is a neocon, the two have little in common. I might gamble that her IQ exceeds 110, but I would need some good odds.

February 16, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  14. chris haynes

I'm voting the latter.

February 16, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  15. Sarahthecomicrelief

Sarah Palin is the world's biggest laughing stock at this moment. John McCain will be forever remembered for bringing the crazy lady on stage...and who would want a President who writes on their hand for a prepared Q&A....points that all of us knew by memory.

February 16, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  16. ron

"Factcheck," I'll debate you any day of the week on Palin's lack of qualifications compared to Obama's, provided, that is, you can string together a cohesive sentence.

February 16, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  17. Dave

Talmag, the democrats decided that they didn't need the input from the republicans for the last 14 months and look what it got them. The republicans have offered to co-write many of the bills that were in both the senate and the house and they were shut out of the process. I guess that Obama's campaign promise to due away with partisan politics was just a tool to get him elected. Congress has never been more partisan. Pelosi and Reed have failed to pass anything meaningful together while Obama tours the world on Airforce One. Educate yourself to the facts and maybe you and I can have a debate in reality

February 16, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  18. buckwheat

Must have been a friendly audience.

February 16, 2010 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  19. Bob from pittsburgh

Come over to Canada..

We have good health care, thriving economy, very low debt, good educational system, insurance companies are well regulated to prevent abuse, 6 year more longevity than the US, and we are extremely polite..

Common over....

February 16, 2010 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  20. mr mister

I'd vote for either one of them. Heck, my dog can make better decisions than the pos we elected.

February 16, 2010 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  21. ron

Socialismbad–apparently, you don't know the difference between OPINION and FACT. Obama has had to clean up the mess left him by an abject failure, George Bush. That is my OPINION; you're welcome to DEBATE that OPINION, although I guess you think Bush was a SUCCESS despite the massive election crush the republic party just suffered.

February 16, 2010 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  22. WIl

Where have all the smart Repubs gone? Seriously, is Palin the best you can produce to run for USA president in 2012? Someone really lost their marbles. Repubs you need no fortune teller to read from the palm of her hand to lead USA. You need a leader with substance reading from a teleprompter ( this is 2010 and a telep is acceptable, the world is moving fwd)

I think the Dems will be laughing all the way to the White House for a 2nd term unopposed if Palin is chosen by GOP in 2012. Please if she does run just make sure you keep her away from Tina Fey, foreign policy briefings, Russia's geographical location on planet earth, Iran and tell her not to build the bridge to wildserness.

Do we need a hunter from the Alasken wilderness to lead USA? Please do not lead us to the desolate wilderness because other hunters night be lurking in the vicinity.

February 16, 2010 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  23. proud dem in nc

Sarah is so pathetic.!! A MAJOR phony. Sure hope the stupid people in the "party of no," nominater her. Please do, you right wing freaks. Obama in 2012!!!!

February 16, 2010 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  24. Clarence

A Palin presidency would drive many people to other countries and set off an international panic. China and Japan would realize how dumb this country is and they would dump all their bond holdings representing our U.S. debt, and at that point the U.S. would be the joke.

February 16, 2010 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  25. I Can't Stand It

I searched for JUST ONE commenter who had a substantive criticism of Ms. Palin, but came up empty – just personal insults. I learned long ago, when your opponent resorts to personal attacks, you've won the intellectual argument. Thank you for the validation.

February 16, 2010 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |