February 16th, 2010

Palin slams Fox’s ‘Family Guy’

Sarah Palin expressed outrage at the Fox Broadcasting Company program 'Family Guy'.

Washington (CNN) – Sarah Palin expressed outrage at a Fox Broadcasting Company television program for deriding people with Down syndrome and making an apparent reference to her 22-month-old son, Trig, who has the genetic disorder.

The former Alaska governor said on her Facebook page that she was too angry to offer a coherent response so she had her daughter, Bristol, release a full statement on the family’s behalf.

The Palins directed their criticism at the prime time Fox cartoon, “Family Guy.” In Sunday’s episode, a teenaged female character with Down syndrome told another character that “my mom is the former governor of Alaska.” A song and dance routine by another character also used language that ridiculed people with disabilities.

“People are asking me to comment on yesterday’s Fox show that felt like another kick in the gut,” Palin, a Fox News contributor, said in the statement posted Monday evening on her Facebook page. “Bristol was one who asked what I thought of the show that mocked her baby brother, Trig (and/or others with special needs), in an episode yesterday. Instead of answering, I asked her what she thought. Here is her conscientious reply, which is a much more restrained and gracious statement than I want to make about an issue that begs the question, ‘when is enough, enough?’”

Bristol Palin’s statement was posted below her mother’s Facebook entry.

“When you’re the son or daughter of a public figure, you have to develop thick skin,” Bristol Palin said. “My siblings and I all have that, but insults directed at our youngest brother hurt too much for us to remain silent. People with special needs face challenges that many of us will never confront, and yet they are some of the kindest and most loving people you’ll ever meet. Their lives are difficult enough as it is, so why would anyone want to make their lives more difficult by mocking them?

“As a culture, shouldn’t we be more compassionate to innocent people – especially those who are less fortunate? Shouldn’t we be willing to say that some things just are not funny? Are there any limits to what some people will do or say in regards to my little brother or others in the special needs community? If the writers of a particularly pathetic cartoon show thought they were being clever in mocking my brother and my family yesterday, they failed. All they proved is that they’re heartless jerks.”

Fox Broadcasting – which, like Fox News, is owned by News Corp. – did not comment on the Palins’ response to the show.

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Max Headroom

This is ridiculous. Context is everything. The article fails to note that throughout the entire episode the girl is treated just like everyone else, is an independent and capable high schooler, and is desired romantically. The character is also bossy and self-centered, showing that even disabled people can be jerks, just like everyone else. Palin simply wants to extend her 15 minutes even further.

February 16, 2010 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  2. Bunny

That's just sad...I can't stand Sarah Palin as a political figure or whatever she is, but as a mother myself, I feel for her and the position she is constantly put in by the media subjecting her family to such contemptible crap. Criticize her politics but leave her family alone.

February 16, 2010 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  3. Jared

ENOUGH ALREADY! 15 minutes of fame is supposed to last 15 minutes...not months or years. For the love of all that is holy, please stop giving this C lister any more attention. She is a total joke, will never be president, but may have a future on Celebrity Big Brother. End of story. Credible news networks should limit their news to credible stories, not trash.

February 16, 2010 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  4. Jake

It's a shame the former Governors family only seems to have compassion for the less fortunate with the surname Palin. It would be nice if the Palin familys' compassion extended to the millions of "real Americans" that do not have health insurance that might benefit from a public option.

February 16, 2010 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  5. A mom with a special needs child

Sarah better get a thick skin our get out of the lime light. I have a autistic child. I do not like people using certain words but I cannot make the entire planet PC. She obviously never saw FOX tv shows before either. So much for con values on FOX. She and her child will get this forever and I am grateful my child is in the US and not even Canada so sociallistic has the rights our special kid's have here or therapy.

Sarah, get a thick skin or get out of the public eye. You will be dealing with this forever.

February 16, 2010 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  6. catina

I will never agree with adults talking about children, I must say that Family Guy is one of the best shows out there. While watching the show I was shocked(never shocked by FG) when the girl stated she was the daughter of the former Alaskan Gov. However FG is giving her a taste of her own medicine. She has called many terrorist, and death panels, etc....more offensively she sided with Limbaugh and said he was using satire when he used the word retarded...so how can she be offended at this "SATIRE"??????

February 16, 2010 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  7. Rusty

Is there any reason why we are paying attention to Sarah Pailin, when it seems it's her daughter who actually knows how to put out a coherent statement?

Put *her* on Fox, poo the other one.

Oh but wait – she said society should be compassionate to those less fortunate. That's NEVER going to fly on Fox.

February 16, 2010 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  8. Bill

Ha ha ha... If you can't take the heat, get out of the fire Palin.

February 16, 2010 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  9. marta-texas

Where's the outrage at Rush Limbaugh? Isn't this the same type of comment?

February 16, 2010 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  10. Florida

Man, is free speech only applied when it is convenient? I'm sure the former politician knows that though distasteful it is the right for people to watch such shows and also the same rights allow her to not even turn it on.

I don't need anyone telling me what I should watch or my kids for that matter. Parents make the best role models for their kids not politicians. I respect her right to make the decision to keep her challenged infant as much as I respect other women who make different decisions.

February 16, 2010 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  11. Otto

Hello MS. X VP to be, you are so correct but if you look into a mirror you'll see you are also sick in the head!

February 16, 2010 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  12. Barbara Modell

I'm sorry but if this woman is so bent out of shape over a TV show, how will she react in the face of international terrorism?

She is proving that she will be weak and overreactive. Not a good combination for someone who wants to be commander in chief.

February 16, 2010 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  13. Oh-well

If you want to take offense at Family Guy, get in line. I don't know of a single group, class, race, ethnic bunch that Family Guy has not made fun of. Methinks the show's popularity represents backlash from an overly pc society.

February 16, 2010 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  14. usualone

If the show did a program as explained in this article, it definitely is in poor taste. What is a concern about this article is that Palin couldn't come up with the words to express herself and used her daughter to respond. It brings into focus how she would respond to national situations if she were in charge. It begs the question, who would she have speak for her in unpleasant situations that would require comments.

February 16, 2010 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  15. Sherry

It sounds to me like the Palin's don't give credit to those with Down's Syndrome and are the ones who truly consider them less. There are many talented people with Down's Syndrome. Perhaps "Family Guy" wasn't actually mocking those with Down's Syndrome, but Palin herself. I'm still waiting for her to call for Rush Limbaugh to step down from HIS radio show after his comments, however, Ms. Palin seems to live in a world of double standards and rather than teleprompters, finds writing on her hand to be much more professional than a teleprompter. Maybe she actually saw Russia from her hand, rather than her house. The only thing you are doing is making the Republicans look bad, but that is probably really good for the Dems.

February 16, 2010 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  16. Jonan

Palin herself is to blame for putting her children the public limelight in the first place. Other candidates keep their younger children far from public view in order to protect them from papparazzi and news hounds. Quite the opposite for Pain: she used her children like props and political pawn. Has anyone ever asked if Piper, the half-term Governor's middle child, ever goes to school? How can she when she's always traveling with her mother. I fear little Piper may end up like her older sister Bristol– an unwed, teenage mother and high school dropout.

February 16, 2010 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  17. Laura

I am not a fan of either "Family Guy" or the former Governor of Alaska, and I basically agree that poking fun at a disabled child is just obnoxious, but fee speech is free speech and obviously there are some people who find such antics amusing, and isn't that their right?

February 16, 2010 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  18. Michael

Thank God for that 'Liberal-Elite Media' eh Sarah!!! Otherwise, you would have faded away a long time ago....

February 16, 2010 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  19. Karen

Exactly. Enough is enough. Do Americans ever wonder why the rest of the world isn't exactly fond of you? In case you're wondering, I'll tell you why...you're rude! As a Canadian, I do occasionally watch CNN and read your hateful posts on this site. Your treatment of Sarah Palin and more importantly, that of her children, is just downright sickening.

February 16, 2010 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  20. Chuck

Tomorrow's story:

Upon hearing the news that the episode of 'Family Guy' was written and directed by Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin responded, "It was Satire, so I don't have a problem with it. People with down syndrome are funny, he was just pointing that out."

February 16, 2010 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  21. Edward

Get a sense of humor.

February 16, 2010 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  22. mdn

Funny is funny. In our society there are no limits to humor. Is this somehow new information for the Palin gang. They should lighten up. Palin has no problem making humor at others expense...why should it make a difference if they are handicapped. All of us all equal in the eyes of God as she puts it.

February 16, 2010 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  23. j

Palin is a Hypocrite.

February 16, 2010 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  24. Mike

God whatever. I don't believe for a second that Sarah is sincerely angry.

Where was her outrage over Limbaugh's use of the word 'retard' to describe other people? There was none. Not only that, she came to his defense and declared he had never used the word.

Talk about crocodile's tears.

February 16, 2010 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  25. Biased

This incessant hatred towards Sarah Palin has to stop. In all my senior years I have never seen such a concentrated effort to ruin someone as I have been watching since her name was first announced as VP candidate. Whether you love her, don't care, or hate her guts, this obsessive compulsion to destroy is nothing more than a media circus and sickness. It is obvious there are no lows where people will stoop to as long as it involves her. And CNN and others are just as guilty for incessantly putting articles up speculating what her next moves will be and are inviting the derogatory comments they always get. Until she announces a run for something, she is no longer in public office, not running for office and as a private citizen, I don't want to hear about her from the media anymore.

February 16, 2010 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |