February 16th, 2010

Palin slams Fox’s ‘Family Guy’

Sarah Palin expressed outrage at the Fox Broadcasting Company program 'Family Guy'.

Washington (CNN) – Sarah Palin expressed outrage at a Fox Broadcasting Company television program for deriding people with Down syndrome and making an apparent reference to her 22-month-old son, Trig, who has the genetic disorder.

The Palins directed their criticism at the prime time Fox cartoon, “Family Guy.” In Sunday’s episode, a teenaged female character with Down syndrome told another character that “my mom is the former governor of Alaska.” A song and dance routine by another character also used language that ridiculed people with disabilities.

“People are asking me to comment on yesterday’s Fox show that felt like another kick in the gut,” Palin, a Fox News contributor, said in the statement posted Monday evening on her Facebook page. “Bristol was one who asked what I thought of the show that mocked her baby brother, Trig (and/or others with special needs), in an episode yesterday. Instead of answering, I asked her what she thought. Here is her conscientious reply, which is a much more restrained and gracious statement than I want to make about an issue that begs the question, ‘when is enough, enough?’”

Bristol Palin’s statement was posted below her mother’s Facebook entry.

“When you’re the son or daughter of a public figure, you have to develop thick skin,” Bristol Palin said. “My siblings and I all have that, but insults directed at our youngest brother hurt too much for us to remain silent. People with special needs face challenges that many of us will never confront, and yet they are some of the kindest and most loving people you’ll ever meet. Their lives are difficult enough as it is, so why would anyone want to make their lives more difficult by mocking them?

“As a culture, shouldn’t we be more compassionate to innocent people – especially those who are less fortunate? Shouldn’t we be willing to say that some things just are not funny? Are there any limits to what some people will do or say in regards to my little brother or others in the special needs community? If the writers of a particularly pathetic cartoon show thought they were being clever in mocking my brother and my family yesterday, they failed. All they proved is that they’re heartless jerks.”

Fox Broadcasting – which, like Fox News, is owned by News Corp. – did not comment on the Palins’ response to the show.

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. bob-b

this chick scares me allot. My gut says people are dumb enough to elect her in 2012. You want to see a sea of change....try letting sara palin in the presidents chair boy-o you will see a backslide into archaic religious living from the christian side. You think your free lives are tough now, try doing some of the things you like with a bible banger in office.

February 16, 2010 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  2. GoFaster58

Doesn't anybody have any brains and decency anymore? I've never watched Family Guy because it looks stupid anyway. What's happened here is way over the line. I think Bristol was being too nice in her comments. FOX should be fined and sued over this.

February 16, 2010 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  3. Sabrina Goldstein

Why is this news? I'd like to read about real things happening in our country and world without the random quote from a private citizen who disagrees with a TV program. She's not a public official. I don't need to hear her opinion in order to form my own by actually watching it myself.

I'm a busy, working mom who wants to try and remain socially and politically conscious by reading REAL news. I've come to CNN over the years to get my news, and to frequently get news about celebrities or people trying to get into the news, is disappointing and frustrating.

Give me the news, when I want tabloid, I'll go to a source that gives it.

February 16, 2010 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  4. Mitchell from MS

Why shouldn't she? If you disagree with her policies that is one thing but to go after her family in such a personel way....wasn't it Obama who during the campain said families should be off limits?

Did he really mean this or does it just apply to Liberals?

February 16, 2010 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  5. Edath55

An excellent statement, but when you're a public figure who uses their mentally handicapped youngest son for political gain (ie. proof of pro-life credentials) during a presidential election, then you make him a target for criticism from satirical outlets such as TV shows and pundits.

February 16, 2010 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  6. Anonymous

"The former Alaska governor said on her Facebook page that she was too angry to offer a coherent response so she had her daughter, Bristol, release a full statement on the family’s behalf."

I am a solid young republican and it is said to see the "so called" leadership in our party does not have a level head with it comes to conflicts. This just further shows how inadequate she is for the position of President of the United States.

February 16, 2010 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  7. Jenn, Philadelphia

I suppose this is when the vicious comments from the liberals will start. Ever notice how preachy liberals are about tolerance and freedom of speech, unless of course you're some one who holds a different opinion then them.

February 16, 2010 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  8. grimbal

And So what. Try outrage at the stupidity and hypocracy of yourself Sarah Palin, All you do is use your family as props to further your so called career, that of telling outright lies and spreading filth.

February 16, 2010 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  9. Pat Singh

That was a shameful thing to do...you dont like Palin that is ok, but the kid is under two, and to take a pot shot at him....is unforgiveable...it was ment to be funny, but it turned out to be cruel.

February 16, 2010 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  10. Christina

It's a TV show. One that has mocked every single disability, (including people who have lost a limb, which includes me), along with every facet of pop culture, politics, war, the economy, and on and on and on. The show, which I find absolutely hysterical and at times uncomfortable to watch, is simply a show. If we constantly say shame on you, don't say anything that someone might find uncomfortable or unfunny, doesn't that mean all of us should put tape over our mouth and never utter another word? Also, if you don't like what the show has to say, don't watch it. It's that simple. If you aren't watching it, you can't be offended.

February 16, 2010 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  11. rmanis

i noticed that caribou barbie didn't call out rush limbagaugh when he called rahm emanuel a retard.

February 16, 2010 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  12. Overby

I'm a life long Republican that voted for Obama just so Sarah would hopefully never be in an important office, but in this matter I completely empathize with her and feel it only right that Fox would cancel any show that is so insensitive and just plain crude and class-less.

February 16, 2010 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  13. Sylvia

Get a life Palins!!!!!!!!!!

February 16, 2010 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  14. patriot

And you liberals call us the the party of hate. Totally classless and tasteless, sounds like something larry Flint would love.

February 16, 2010 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  15. Sam

Wow. The Ole make Palin a victim again plot huh? It's Fox's show and they create thier own controversy. Sarah didn't say anything about the show, her daughter supposidly did. It's carefully planned and all in the wording. So she agrees with the Republican party leader Lindburg and then Fox tries to help her change from hypocrite back to victim. Hmmm great Scott Batman another ploy!!! Comical.

February 16, 2010 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  16. Arielle

If every time my black children were ridiculed in media I had to write a FB note, I'd have to quit my job and sit at my computer writing statement after statement. You put your kids out there and unfortunately the world is cruel.

February 16, 2010 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  17. Julie

Mrs. Palin,

Why is satire okay for Rush but not for a comedy that makes no effort to be serious–ever- unlike Limbaugh? Comedy can be mean-spirited. Deal with that or watch the show more often, then stand up for the others that are constantly mocked for comic effect!! Boy will you be busy! What's next, finding out that the Simpsons also makes fun of things, people, events!? Mercy, me!

February 16, 2010 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  18. coop

It would have been ok if Rush said it.

February 16, 2010 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  19. Dominic

It's a comedy show. Family Guy has put a lot out there in worse taste than that. Sarah Palin is an idiot (she ran for Vice President yet didn't even know what one did). She made herself a public figure; yet she has to respond to every petty insult thrown her way. That's part of it, babe. I don't agree with what Family Guy did even though I despise Palin trying to be involved in politics. But she is drawing way more attention to it herself by 'tweeting' and 'facebooking' it. Is this woman in middle school?

February 16, 2010 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  20. Franky, Land of Lincoln

This ain't the first time Family Guy has been criticized, let alone pre-judge on their mockery and humor about the show. For starters, they've mocked pretty much everybody, including former President Bill Clinton...but I do have a problem if the script itself targeted the former Gov in Sarah Palin, let alone frame the statement to suggest it is her mom.

I'm sure they've been episodes who mocked pretty much everybody, it happens on every cartoon show but na'h, that ain't cool. You don't mock people with disabilities, they're special in God's eyes. Let alone mock a parent who is to suggest is a person in real life, as in the former Gov.

You don't do that, Sarah has shown consistency regarding how she feels when you talk about disability people, she has shown so I think it was wrong protraying it that way. Is just a joke but you don't do that, Sarah has a right to be upset.

February 16, 2010 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  21. bob

great...she is picking fights with cartoons now. just too funny!

February 16, 2010 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  22. Dan from Alabama

Get over it Ellie Mae. You chose your path so live with it or quit.......again.

February 16, 2010 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  23. Ryan

Oh I dunno Sarah, but mainly because
    1. Your followers love this kind of humor.
    2. Now you know what it feels like when a gay American is ridiculed for being who they are.

Suck it up Honey, we have to.

February 16, 2010 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  24. SJ

Apparently Palin can dish it out but she can't take it. It's okay for her to accuse our president of "palling around with terrorists" but when someone parodies a member of her family she's outraged. Excuse me if I don't get worked up over Caribou Barbie's blatant hypocrisy,

February 16, 2010 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  25. Sean

It's called freedom of speech. If you don't like it, change the channel. Oh, right, you're a Republican. I forgot. That doesn't apply to you. We all have to think and act and feel like you do or we're evil liberals. I also find this argument interesting from someone who has said multiple times that this country is too "PC." I guess it's not too "PC" when it comes to you and your family, right Sarah. Give me a break.

February 16, 2010 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |