February 16th, 2010

Palin slams Fox’s ‘Family Guy’

Sarah Palin expressed outrage at the Fox Broadcasting Company program 'Family Guy'.

Washington (CNN) – Sarah Palin expressed outrage at a Fox Broadcasting Company television program for deriding people with Down syndrome and making an apparent reference to her 22-month-old son, Trig, who has the genetic disorder.

The former Alaska governor said on her Facebook page that she was too angry to offer a coherent response so she had her daughter, Bristol, release a full statement on the family’s behalf.

The Palins directed their criticism at the prime time Fox cartoon, “Family Guy.” In Sunday’s episode, a teenaged female character with Down syndrome told another character that “my mom is the former governor of Alaska.” A song and dance routine by another character also used language that ridiculed people with disabilities.

“People are asking me to comment on yesterday’s Fox show that felt like another kick in the gut,” Palin, a Fox News contributor, said in the statement posted Monday evening on her Facebook page. “Bristol was one who asked what I thought of the show that mocked her baby brother, Trig (and/or others with special needs), in an episode yesterday. Instead of answering, I asked her what she thought. Here is her conscientious reply, which is a much more restrained and gracious statement than I want to make about an issue that begs the question, ‘when is enough, enough?’”

Bristol Palin’s statement was posted below her mother’s Facebook entry.

“When you’re the son or daughter of a public figure, you have to develop thick skin,” Bristol Palin said. “My siblings and I all have that, but insults directed at our youngest brother hurt too much for us to remain silent. People with special needs face challenges that many of us will never confront, and yet they are some of the kindest and most loving people you’ll ever meet. Their lives are difficult enough as it is, so why would anyone want to make their lives more difficult by mocking them?

“As a culture, shouldn’t we be more compassionate to innocent people – especially those who are less fortunate? Shouldn’t we be willing to say that some things just are not funny? Are there any limits to what some people will do or say in regards to my little brother or others in the special needs community? If the writers of a particularly pathetic cartoon show thought they were being clever in mocking my brother and my family yesterday, they failed. All they proved is that they’re heartless jerks.”

Fox Broadcasting – which, like Fox News, is owned by News Corp. – did not comment on the Palins’ response to the show.

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Anonymous

as u make ur bed, so u lie on it

February 16, 2010 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  2. Anni

I guess Sarah does not think the Family Guy is a Republican or affiliated with Rush Limbaugh. If she did, then this entire incident would have been blown off as "satire."

February 16, 2010 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  3. Robert

did she even watch the show? the character was hardly being mocked for their down syndrome. other than the obvious traits, the person's character was any but "retarded" in portrayal.

the only person being mocked was sarah palin indirectly. is she crying? boohoo. she's insulted many other people with her language-grow a thicker skin.

February 16, 2010 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  4. marcus (seattle)

i would almost find myself feeling some degree of sympathy for sarah, and outrage at "family guy," were in not for the fact that sarah has spent virtually the entire last year calling obama and biden and any other democrat, names that were completely inappropriate and inaccurate.. sorry sarah, but that's called karma.. you want to be a name caller who ridicules people, ya gotta figure it's coming back your way sometime soon..

February 16, 2010 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  5. JimS.

You won't find me often agreeing with Sarah Palin on much of anything, but in this case, she's 100% correct. That was just mean.

February 16, 2010 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  6. Matt

Why doesn't she slam Rush Limbaugh for calling liberals "retards"?

February 16, 2010 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  7. Scott

Yeah Sarah...it's always ALL ABOUT YOU isn't it? I am amazed that you can be so two-faced with your political correctness

February 16, 2010 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  8. MusicMedic

She really dosnt know how to take a joke

and this proves that she will get butt-hurt about anything just to stay in the spotlight.

how she get her spotlight is beyond me, it really boggles my mind

February 16, 2010 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  9. Anonymous

who cares? grow up, oh wait you are.

February 16, 2010 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  10. AKoslik

it was just satire, Sarah – you know, the kind Rush uses...

February 16, 2010 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  11. Calidan

When in comes to making inane comments, all others Palin comparison to Sarah!

February 16, 2010 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  12. Gabriel O. Osho-Davies

I notice that many Americans usually mock the less fortunate, especially from other countries, as if they are imune to suffering. Now mocking a little child (who is one of their own) is not funny at all. Whoever does is anything but human. Humans are innately compassionate but whenever we exhibit such behavior as described in this story, we prove to become gravely inhumane.

February 16, 2010 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  13. melissa

so now palin is the head of the P.C. police.
    IT'S A CARTOON!!!!!!!

GET A LIFE!!!

February 16, 2010 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  14. Xavier

Show you aren't all talk Palin and leave the Fox network. Actions speak louder than words.

February 16, 2010 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  15. Matt

...and yet you insist that WE show complete tolerance when you bear false witness against a good, decent, Christian like Mr. Obama....

You are the doing the devils work and you don't even know it.

February 16, 2010 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  16. Sam

I'm not saying she asked for it, but she wanted to remain in the spotlight, she's fair game. Besides, more ratings for "Family Guy". Did she also get the medical report about women over 40 having a greater chance of giving birth to an autistic child?

February 16, 2010 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  17. Mike

I would ask the Governer why she hasn't spoken up about anything else on the program "Family Guy". The show routinely makes fun of every race, religion, creed, and disablity. Funny how only when it attacked her family, did she care enough to say anything about it. And even then, she let her daughter do it for her. It's called comedy, Mrs. Palin. I have a friend with Down Syndrome, and many other friends that would come under the category of being "made fun of" on Family Guy. It doesn't bother them at all, because they are all rational people who know it is done in jest.

February 16, 2010 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  18. Garry

Way to say it Bristol.!! I also have friends who are Downs and they are exactly as you describe. Fox has now given me another reason not to watch TV. If your Mom needs a spokeperson when she is elected I think you would fill the bill nicely. Much love to you and your family and keep up the fight.
    Kind regards, GH

February 16, 2010 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  19. Ken Xavier

Sarah should just give it up. Everyone is tired of listening to her , since everything out of her mouth makes no sense. I've nicked named her Bush's twin sister. Everyone knows Family Guy is all about raw humor, if you can't take it, change the channel. She's quite the cry baby. What happen to the tough Sarah that from Alaska who kills bears, goes hunting and embraces the cold for weeks. Palin = all talk no bite.

February 16, 2010 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  20. Paul

You've got to be kidding. If she's not smart enough to figure out irony versus parody, then she's not smart enough to be President.

February 16, 2010 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  21. Joe in Vega$

"Oh, pooh! Bristol, darling. I'm just too outraged to deal with hooey this stressful. So will you, my pearl, please go online and express to the world just how angry and embarrassed I am?"

February 16, 2010 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  22. Just Palin Tired

"The former Alaska governor said on her Facebook page that she was too angry to offer a coherent response..."

Wow. She must be angry a lot.

February 16, 2010 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  23. Lynne in CA

Family Guy is parody and satire protected by free speech. What's good enough for Limbarf is good enough for a silly cartoon. Another dose of hyprocrisy anyone???

February 16, 2010 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  24. jules

I never, EVER thought I'd see eye to eye with Sarah Palin about anything ... but today I feel her rage and disgust.
    Seth McFarland has no conscience or heart. I've suspected this for a while. "The Family Guy" is dead to me.

February 16, 2010 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  25. sharon

I rarely agree w/Sarah but I agree wholeheartedly w/her on this issue, that we need to say enough is enough, that we stop mocking those who are innocent, and stand up for basic human decency to one another. the media has a responsibility to better our lives, our world not to tear down one another. well said Bristol! you will make an excellent voice for your generation.

February 16, 2010 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |