February 16th, 2010

Robert Gibbs: I'm my own tweeter

In his first tweet, White House Press Secretary sought advice from the Twitterverse.

Washington (CNN) – It's the dirty secret of celebrity tweeting: Many politicians and other high-profile types don't clack out their own tweets.

Even President Obama has conceded that his fingers are not behind his Twitter account: @BarackObama.

Not Robert Gibbs.

The White House press secretary was asked during his daily press conference on Tuesday if he really tweeted from his new account.

"Inexplicably, yes," Gibbs said.

Gibbs started tweeting under the name @PressSec on Saturday and follows 149 people – mostly journalists. "I've enjoyed watching you all comment on women's figure skating and ski jumping," Gibbs told the reporters.

@PressSec prominently states that it is an official White House Twitter account, thus "comments & messages" could be archived under the Presidential Records Act.

CNN Radio's Bob Costantini asked Gibbs if his account, including the accounts he is following, are really part of White House records. Gibbs said he was unsure and would "check with the lawyers."

-CNN's KD Fabian contributed to this report.

Filed under: Robert Gibbs • Social Networking • Twitter
  1. Marc in Virginia

Can't stand this guy at all. Instead of being the Obama administration's spokesperson as his job would indicate, he always tries to become the story. I don't care what his opinions are. The president needs to kick his sorry butt to the curb.

February 16, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  2. Mike in MN

Tweeting will just provide Gibbs with one more opportunity to show how out of touch and stupid he is. I love to laugh at his bizzare spin. I hope Obama keeps him for the whole of his one term presidency.

February 16, 2010 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  3. malia

Try to be a bit more professional and less arrogant!

February 16, 2010 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  4. so rich even obama couldn't hurt me but you middle class folk should worry

im not to crazy about our president but I absolutely hate the people he is surrounded by, I would pay 1 million dollars to slap gibbs in the face......

February 16, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  5. Yes!

Yes, Gibbs is his own TWIT - no denying that. I have NEVER witnessed a press secretary as inept as this one! Great going, Obama! If this guy Gibbs is your spokesperson, you, Obama, are in for a world of hurt!

February 16, 2010 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  6. GuyInVA

"Tweets" archived under the Presidential Records Act? Good God! What has become of our country?

February 16, 2010 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |