February 19th, 2010

California in the crosshairs at CPAC

Washington (CNN) - Two conservative candidates for statewide office in California came to the nation's capital on Friday to take aim at their state, which they said is suffocating in taxes and regulation, and to hold themselves out as its saviors.

“We are the laboratory of every horrific government lab experiment in America,” Chuck DeVore thundered before a stirred-up audience at the Conservative Political Action Conference, a three-day event showcasing hard-right ideas and players.

DeVore, a member of the California Assembly, is seeking the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate.

He conjured Ronald Reagan, who he said was an example of the good that California has produced. DeVore also cited what he termed as the bad – Democratic lawmakers Barbara Boxer, who he wants to unseat, and Nancy Pelosi, the House Speaker.

“Ladies and gentlemen, you must beware what happens in California,” DeVore said.

The other candidate at CPAC who used California as a foil to his own views was Steve Poizner.

Poizner, the state’s top insurance regulator and a former Silicon Valley technology executive, wants to be the Republican nominee for governor. He chronicled California’s economic malaise.

“It couldn’t get much worse than it is today,” Poizner said. “We’re going to take our state back.”

Filed under: California • Chuck DeVore • CPAC • Steve Poizner
  1. Minnesota gal

Hey they poured money after money after money to finance a recall election for a Democrat while not doing a perfect job was doing a lot better than the current republican one. SO WHY DO THEY THINK CALIFORNIANS ARE GONNA BELIEVE ANYTHING THEY SAY.

Course since they are demented and liars they must think every one else is like them.

February 19, 2010 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  2. Hugo

Democratic legislative branch = 20 billion in debt.... that is all that needs to be said, Nation following as fast as they can!

Time for all Americans to stand up together and take back control of our Government from the elitist lawyer thugs (both parties) that sold us all out to pander to their special interest lobbyist monies and unions! Tort law reform across the board!

February 19, 2010 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  3. valwayne

CA is too far gone. A state that can elect people like Sen Boxer and Speaker Pelosi and then reelect them after all the corrupt spending is without hope of recovery. A majority of the voters there are Elite liberals or public union members who have been bribed to side with the Elites. If you own a business or work for a living you should just get out!

February 19, 2010 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  4. Old Farmboy

As a former resident of California I have to say something. That state has problems. I'm not talking at a simple level either. We're talking major goo. One of the things I've notice is that California sets standards that are way beyond their capabilities. The further inland that you live in the state, it seems to lighten up, but if you are coastal... Geez, that stuff you have to put up with. I lived in San Diego in a modest home... My rent, and I say rent, was $4,500.00 a month and people told me I was getting off lucky. I was, as the bird flies, five miles from the ocean. That means 20 minutes in a car. I cut my grass at this two bedroom house with a weed eater. The same one my neighbor borrowed from me. On both sides. The biggest problem that I saw when I was in California was that people lived outside of the reigns and when that wer're in the money income turned into reality..... they bomb fell... and it was felt statewide... now everyone suffers. But, thanks to the Obama Tarp Funds... California is getting bailed out.

February 19, 2010 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  5. As a Californian, I agree . . .

. . . It couldn't get any worse for my state than it is right now. This is because of a LIBERAL, MISGUIDED State Assembly that thinks "spending" is its middle name - primarily on behalf of welfare gougers and illegal immigrants!

And California used to be the "Golden State" - how very, very sad!

February 19, 2010 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |