Washington (CNN) - Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty jokingly told conservative activists Friday that they can learn a few things from Tiger Woods' wife.
"At this very hour or very shortly this morning a big event is happening in the United States of America," Pawlenty said in a speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference. "Tiger Woods is holding his press conference at 11 o'clock eastern."
"Now, I think we can learn a lot about that situation," he said. "Not from Tiger but from his wife. She said, 'I've had enough.' She said, 'No more.' I think we should take a page out of her playbook and take a nine-iron and smash the window out of big government in this country. We've had enough."
The eyebrow-raising quip was a highlight in an otherwise low-key, morning talk delivered by the potential 2012 presidential candidate. Unlike former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who delivered a polished, rousing speech to the conservative audience on Thursday, Pawlenty opted to speak without a teleprompter and riff off his notes.
Having drawn an early time slot for his speech, Pawlenty spoke to a relatively low-energy crowd with in a ballroom with scores of empty seats. Though his speech likely won't draw rave reviews, the governor – who more often excels working small rooms - is maneuvering behind-the-scenes to endear himself to Republican staffers and activists at the conference.
Pawlenty stayed up late Thursday night at the Marriott Wardman Park at a cocktail reception meeting young Republicans and posing for pictures. And on Friday, his political action committee, Freedom First PAC, is holding a Georgetown fundraiser where the VIP guest will be Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, a new star in GOP circles.
Pawlenty is calling for the violent overthrow of our democratically-elected government – isn't that treason?
Boy, the GOP is truly desperate and running scared.
I guess we shouldn't be surprised; they stole the election in 2000 (remember how Bush's face broke out and Cheney had a mild heart attack waiting for the outcome of their coup?).
He is heartless-Pawlanty is making fun of a family in pain. Stick to your politics-not more violence in this country. You should be ashamed.
Well, isn't he special!!!
Watch ol' Paw begin his apologies in a few minutes, claiming that he was misinterpreted.
These people are disgusting.
I hear someone talking, but will we the American people ever see any action from the GOP. Stop lining your pockets with money from lobbyist, stop lobbyist altogether. For once, back your words up with action, rather than saying what we want to hear. Shame on you.
Wait, didn't Romney make a teleprompter joke earlier BUT he, himself, was using a teleprompter. Then, Pawlenty comes out and makes a joke about another person's domestic dispute that almost sounds like he's promoting violence. Really?!?! The day after a crazy guy flew his plane into a building and killed a federal employee.
And some of you still follow this bunch. Oh, how sad.
Calling for more violence, the Republican way. I just hope the ignorant tea baggers don't take this metaphor and decide who is the window
How stupid and irresponsible of Pawlenty is this to make such a statement the day after an anti-government "wing-nut" crashed a plane into a building housing IRS workers? Mr. Pawlenty, please explain this to the familes of the fatally wounded worker and the two hospitalized workers. Sheesh. I am appalled.
What a foolish comment. Way to endorse domestic violence. Moron
...and this guy is the best that the GOP has to offer? Obama by a landslide in 2012....
Go ahead Pawlenty make jokes about other people who are enduring heartache. You are such a typical arrogant republican.
You are disgusting Mr Pawlenty – to use a tragedy like theirs to build your career – it makes me sick. Maybe you should have listened to Tiger's speech – if you would have you wouldn't have brought Mrs Woods into your speech. Grow Up!
Are these people doing anything besides bashing Obama and tacitly encouraging violence?
Of course not. They have nothing to offer.
Smash your own windows first then...
You Republicans sure like to talk a lot about "small gov" and "personal freedom", but you hypocrites over look GWB and the Patriot Act (the two biggest affronts to those principals in past 4 decades).
Keep whipping people up into an anti-gov/anti-taxes fervor, and we will see more incidents like the one in Austin yesterday.
Take a step back and really think about your principals and how your representatives on either side represent them through their ACTIONS and not their rhetoric.
Tasteless. But what less can you expect from the Republican Party at this point.
I am from MN am proud of my state, we have invented a lot of things, are headquarters for many Fortune 500 companies, have a great quality of life and generally the people here are wonderful, but our governors are embarrassing! We had a governor (Perpich) who was nicknamed "Governor Goofy." I think Tim Pawlenty has inherited that title.
There is too little space here to list all the reasons why it is beyond me that he thinks he should run for president (but I could use the same arguments as those against Palin, but Pawlenty is slightly smart). I guess the only good thing I can say about him is that watching or listening to him combats my insomnia. He is a total dud - boring and uninspiring. He makes Al Gore look like Barack Obama.
I'm with Pawlenty, I've had enough.
I've been pondering the Obama/Pelosi stimulus bill the last few days and here are some thoughts and questions.
1) I've seen several articles over the last couple of days that dug up a graph Obama put out showing that unemployment would not go higher than 8% if the stimulus was passed and would go up to 9% if nothing was done. With unemployment having gone up to 10% and now presently 9.7%, does that mean the stimulus made things worse than if nothing had been done?
2) Obama and Biden are both claiming the stimulus actually prevented a depression. Wow. And I saw Biden claim now that if nothing had been done unemployment would have gone up to 11% (what happened to the original estimate of 9%?). So they are saying if the stimulus had not been passed, we would have had a depression. So back when they created the graph that showed 9% unemployment if nothing was done, they must have been thinking that would be the level of unemployment we would have had during the depression. And the graph shows if we had done nothing, unemployment would have started coming down on it's own in early 2010. So this depression would have lasted I guess about a year if we had done nothing? Can a depression really only last about a year? But unemployment is now 9.7%. Does that mean we are in a depression now? Or have they revised their depression level unemployment to now be 11%, which Biden now says it would have gone to if the stimulus had not been passed? Is 11% unemployment really a depression level number? I thought it was around or over 20% during the great depression. Unemployment was higher than 11% when Jimmy Carter was president and we were not considered to be in a depression then. I not sure if Obama and Biden have really thought this whole avoided a depression claim out regarding the stimulus. Maybe they have the Bush TARP bill mixed up with the Obama stimulus, would not surprise me.
3) The nice graph Obama created shows unemployment coming down by it's self in early 2010 if the stimulus had not been passed. So now that we are in early 2010, how can we tell how much of any improvement is because of the stimulus and how much is just the economy getting better by it's self?
4) Biden just said that we are in for a treat in 2010 as the monthly average amount of stimulus to be paid out will actually be more than the monthly average in 2009. If it is true that all this wonderful stimulus money is creating or saving millions of jobs, how come they did not plan to pay out more in 2009 instead of 2010? Wouldn't 2009 have been a better time to save or create a greater number of jobs? I guess that explains why Obama staffer Romer is on video last year saying the greatest benefit from the stimulus would be realized in the 2nd and 3rd quarters of 2009, but when asked in a recent interview if the biggest boost from the stimulus is already in the past she answered no, it is to come. Makes you wonder if she really knows what she is talking about doesn't it?
5) While we were in the recession in 2009 no private sector job category grew but federal government jobs grew by 113,000. Obama added 113,000 jobs to the federal government in just his first year. How come during a recession the federal government needed to add 113,000 jobs? No, forget about the recession. How come the federal government had to grow by 113,000 jobs in one year recession or not?
6) When I was on vacation in New York City last year I happened to pick up a local paper and read how the deputy mayor was angry that Obama's jobs saved or created survey forced the city of New York to count over 10,000 temporary summer jobs for students that lasted only a few weeks and paid minimum wage. Anyone know why these jobs would qualify as saved or created? When the average person gifted with a normal level of common sense thinks of jobs saved or created they think about full time permanent living wage jobs. Actually the truth is this is just one of thousands of similar examples of what the average person would call bogus jobs saved or created that are included in the stimulus jobs saved or created numbers. Explains how Obama and Biden can claim the stimulus has created or saved something like 2 million jobs and yet have no noticeable impact on unemployment.
7) If it is true, as Obama and Biden claim, that the stimulus has worked beyond all expectations and it is true, as Biden and Romer say, that it will provide a bigger boost in 2010 than 2009 and with Obama's graph showing the economy growing jobs on it's own in early 2010 even if the stimulus had not been passed, how come we need a jobs bill or stimulus two?
8) Getting back to those over 10,000 part time, minimum wage, summer jobs for students in New York city that lasted a few weeks. How can these be included? Even if you counted all 10,000 plus as 1 job, they still would not have created 1 full time living wage job that someone is currently working at today. And this is only one of thousands of similar examples all accross America. Why does the recovery.gov web site report fractions of a job? You either have one or you don't. Must be because the site counts part time and temporary jobs as fractions of a real full time permanant job. So there is no way the claim of 2 million jobs created or saved really represents any where near 2 million people actually working at a full time living wage job today. And now I am hearing states that got stimulus money in 2009 to save or create state government jobs will need it again in 2010 or they will have to lay of government workers. If this happens, will those jobs be deducted from the saved and created numbers? The states can't sustain the spending from their own budgets.
I'm just not buying all this crap from Obama and Biden, it stinks to me. Looks to me like they are just making stuff up. The unemployment projections Obama and his staff came up with did not hold up and the jobs saved or created numbers are a joke, totally bogus. And the claim of having averted a depression does not make sense if they also claim unemployment would have only gone up to 11% if the stimulus had not been passed. And we are supposed to trust these guys on health care reform?
Wow – I didn't know Tim was so into golf!
He forgot to tell the audience how he has also taken a page out of Tiger's playbook. How he has bent each and every Minnesotan over and continues to do us over and over and over....
As if He's NOt part of the Big Government him, Bush, Cheney and their cronies built. America you've been had and you just going to be had again by the same clowns. The SAME ONES that BANKRUPT this Country, the SAME ONES that mortgaged this Country to China, the SAME ONES that were in power when 911 occurred. The SAME ONES that have enriched themselves with the big corporations. The SAME ONES that don't have any new ideas on how to manage a global economy, never had and never will. The SAME ONES do as I say not what I do. The SAME ONES that have killed and shipped overseas all our jobs. The SAME ONES that saw the country economically collapse. Where have they been for the past 8 years??? They are back again. The SAME ONES that wanted to privatize social security and get rid of medicaid and medicare. The SAME ONES that supported Bush/Cheney violate your rights. The SAME ONES that want this country to fail and have done everything in their power to make it a reality. the SAME ONES that started two wars. Should I go on...Yup, These SAME ONES are going to have you for lunch again!!!
This makes me want to run out and smash the windows of every idiot in Washington, regardless of party. These clowns like to play on the weak voters every election year while nothing ever gets done. It's a joke. Does it take Republicans to lose so badly to suddenly know how to run the country? Does it take the Dems to lose control of the majority to realize it's time to get serious? What political nonsense. Here's an idea: How about taking all of the millions of dollars in campaign funds and collectively paying down the national debt or pay for needed programs?
Pawlenty crossed the line,.. Hey where's Sarah Palin now ? Bad taste and dumb. Desperate group of people.
I Love it. This little bore could not get any attention soooooooooo he has to use the Nations top news story to get PR. He such a predictable bore.
This man want to be the president one day and he thinks he can make fun of somebody's personal failure or distress!
How I wish our politicians will be more sensitive!!
Don't the learn from others?
Very nice, hope no one takes this seriously and say.. flies a plane into a government building.