February 21st, 2010

State of the Union: Candy Crowley's Crib Sheet for Feb. 21

In her Crib Sheet, Candy Crowley highlights the top newsmakers from Sunday's political talk shows.

Let’s just say Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell didn’t seem all that enthused about the bipartisan, on-camera health care meeting this week. “Yeah. I think in all likelihood I'll be there. We're discussing the sort of makeup of the room and that sort of thing, but… my members will be there and ready to participate.”

Still did we hear the nascent sounds of bipartisanship when the senator was asked if he could support Majority Leader Harry Reid’s jobs bill with its small business tax breaks, “Well, we may well.” Then he said the bill needed to come to the Senate floor so it could be amended. Sic Transit Bipartisanship.

Elsewhere, the nation’s governors, strategically located this weekend in Washington for a meeting, were out in force on the Sunday talks. Raise your hands if you’re surprised California’s Arnold Schwarzenegger said the stimulus bill created jobs in his state and then turned on fellow Republicans in Congress for showing up at ribbon-cuttings for projects funded by the stimulus bill they opposed. He told ABC, “I find it interesting that you have a lot of the Republicans running around and pushing back on the stimulus money and saying this doesn't create any new jobs and then they go out and they do the photo ops and posing with the big check. And they say isn't this great?”

Did somebody put the good governor on the democratic talking points list?  Think I’m kidding? Check out what the President said recently.

On CNN, across the board agreement (along with 86 percent of the public in our latest poll) that Washington is “broken.”  Governors Deval Patrick (D-Mass) and National Governors Association Chair Jim Douglas (R-Vermont) agreed (off-cam) that they would never run for Congress and agreed (on cam) that governors are far more civilized and productive than their national counterparts. Gov. Patrick told me, “We are very well led in the National Governors Association by Jim Douglas, who is a great friend, and we work together on a number of things. And frankly, I think that the public I represent is keen to see more of the kind of cooperation that Governor Douglas and I share.”

Outgoing Senator Evan Bayh (D-Indiana) likened the atmospherics on Capitol Hill to “tribal politics.” He suggested when the parties get together with the president for this week’s health care meeting, Republicans should check their “short-term political” interests at the door and Democrats should leave behind their “ideology”.  Former Senator and Governor Jon Corzine (D-New Jersey) called the chances for success “slim”. He continued, “We need somebody to stand up the way Ted Kennedy stood up on Leave No Child Behind or the prescription drug benefit for seniors, to work with the president, and that needs to have bipartisan effort, and I think the president is making a legitimate offering to make that happen, and I hope that we follow through.”

Also of note, Colin Powell, Republican and Obama voter, said he thinks the president missed the point (the economy) by focusing too much on health care in his first year. He told CBS, “As I go around the country and talk to people, they know that health care has to be fixed.  They know we need more in education. They know we need to do more with energy.  But they don't see that as their main priorities. And as the president went into these areas, all of which are important.  It's a disgrace that we have millions of people who are uninsured.  But at the same time, in the eyes of the American people, in my judgment, it looked as if that somehow had become more important than the main attack, which was fix the economy and get the Americans working again.”

Sunday. Sunday. Just love this day.
– Candy

Filed under: Popular Posts • State of the Union
  1. An 8 year old ELEPHANT dung heap, does not transform into compost in just 1 year!

CPAC cons say President Obama is a “secular socialist” and I say little Dick is a “five time draft dodger” that now revels in using OTHER American kids as cannon fodder!

“You, you, you, you. Tell me why, I cannot seem to face the truth, I am just a little not over [killing] you! I just cannot figure it out”.

Wow, name calling and creatively keeping it in a relevant pop-culture format!;)
    I am just warming up!

At 58, I stay as far as away as possible from all mirrors!

February 21, 2010 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  2. Sherry

I heard a republican news analyst say on ABC new today- it... See More’s the American people that are upset with President Obama's health care reform not the Republican Party. I don’t believe that is true, what I think is happening is republicans are trying to make sure President Obama is not reelected and they are doing it at the expense of the American public. Most Americans don’t even know what’s in the bill to make a decision. Unless you are one of the groupies that just follows a political party right over the edge. You should only go so far without thinking yourself. They are playing political games with our lives for the party now that’s a bunch of crap.

February 21, 2010 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  3. Tom from Vermilion, Ohio

86% say the government is broken? Since we know, but don't want to admit it, government cannot be "fixed" with it's outdated way of conducting "business". Every single aspect of government is in shambles; health care, economy, education, energy, research and development, jobs, legal, insurance and finance, to name a few. Congress cannot and will not ever be able to satisfy the wants and needs of their prospective constituents. Having said that and since next week is CNN's Broken Government week, let us try with CNN the vehicle, and the American People the driver, actually fix it! I say this with great trust, respect and admiration for all those on the staff at CNN. I know how to fix our government. Candy Crowley, if you are interested in more contact me via email. Regards, Tom.

February 21, 2010 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  4. Mike in MN

Obama's and the Democrats problem is pretty simple really. They pushed the Republicans aside and wrote a bunch of bills the voters think are crap.
    And now they are angry with the Republicans because the Republicans have not been stupid enough to vote for bills that they and a majority of voters believe suck.
    The Democrats would not have a problem if their ideas were really as good as they think they are.
    Obama and the Democrats have made it clear they are not going to give up on their current liberal/progressive agenda which means a majority of voters will still think their bills suck. Good luck with that Obama.

February 21, 2010 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  5. karela

Arnold is no Democrat but he isn't opposed to speaking the truth. The Republicans have publicly and constantly attacked the stimulus bill AND they have persistently handed out the checks back home and bragged about the jobs the money created. You can't expect to yell that no jobs are created and simultaneously take credit for all the jobs created by THE SAME BILL-–at least they should expect to get called out for it when they do. I respect Arnold for being honest enough to say so. He is a governor of a state with a huge population and huge unemployment. His state really needed that money and he's been honest about it. There is a lot that Arnold believes in that I disagree with but on this, he's earned my respect.

February 21, 2010 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  6. Alex

RON PAUL is a DUMMY!

He said on Fox News today that the government has no business in welfare or war – then he attributed those principles to the Constitution. Has he even read the Constitution, specifically Article 1, Section 8?

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States"

The more I hear people like this who call themselves "conservative" talk and try to take refuge in OUR Constitution, the more I realize they have never read the Constitution. It's all just a fake attempt at trying to make these traitors sound more patriotic.

February 21, 2010 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  7. Jack

One of the governor's commented that he was not elected to represent the Republicans/Democrats in his state. He was elected to work for the people of his state, regardless of their party association. This is the core of our problem with Congress. Regardless of party they seem to think they are working for their party, not for their districts or states.

February 21, 2010 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |