February 22nd, 2010

Brown to vote for cloture on jobs bill

Sen. Scott Brown will vote to support cloture on a $15 billion jobs bill put forth by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Washington (CNN) - Sen. Scott Brown, the Republican who recently won the Massachusetts seat held by the late Sen. Ted Kennedy, is wasting no time showing his independence.

Brown will vote to support cloture on a $15 billion jobs bill put forth by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid soon after a bipartisan agreement on a much larger $85 billion jobs package was announced by the chairman and ranking Republican on the Senate Finance Committee.

"I came to Washington to be an independent voice, to put politics aside, and to do everything in my power to help create jobs for Massachusetts families," Brown said in a statement. "This Senate jobs bill is not perfect. I wish the tax cuts were deeper and broader, but I am voting for it because it contains measures that will help put people back to work."

Brown's recent win in Massachusetts was powered in part by grassroots support from conservatives after Brown pledged to be the 41st vote against Democrats' health care reform bill which Senate Republicans needed to sustain a filibuster.

But on the day he was sworn in, Brown made it clear that he also intended to be an independent lawmaker who might sometimes part ways with his own party.

"If I see a bill that's good for my state first, I don't care where it comes from," Brown said. "If it's good for Massachusetts, I'll consider it."

Filed under: Jobs • Scott Brown
  1. al in memphis

Well, you just blew your chance to be on Hannity and Limbaugh and Palin network call Fox.

February 22, 2010 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  2. They call me "tater salad"

Believe it when I see it!

February 22, 2010 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  3. Minnesota gal

aNOTHER REPUBLICAN FULL OF CRAP... I wish the Democrats had the gonads to change that 60 vote and the filbuster and then we would see republicans cry and whine and mess their shorty shorts. Love that.

February 22, 2010 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  4. J.P.

This would all be fine and dandy if government actually created jobs wealth and prosperity.

If government created jobs, wealth and prosperity, there would be NO NEED for the private sector. We'd just all line up for free gubmint goodies... handouts to keep us alive... which is exactly what the Obamunist and his sick socialist buddies actually desire... a nation of slaves dependent upon government for their every need, want and desire.

Its real easy to control people when you provide for their every need.
    2010 can't get here fast enough.

February 22, 2010 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  5. Sniffit

haha...this guy is going to get 2 years and that's it. If he keeps behaving reasonably like this, he'll have some people in MA suprised to be happy with him, but the GOP will tear his n-ts off if he votes for this jobs bill or anything else that Obama can claim as a victory. Better start goose-steppin' or kiss it g'bye Browny....the Limbots don't take kindly to "yes" votes.

February 22, 2010 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  6. GI Joe

This? From a person who wouldn't even divulge which party he was representing?

BTW – MA has socialized medicine – he just doesn't want the rest of us to have it. He voted for it in his own state, but not for US

February 22, 2010 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  7. An 8 year old ELEPHANT dung heap, does not transform into compost in just 1 year!

Well, that did not take long to PO the party of NO elites.

Nice try bare Brown, but now Lush will take you to the woodshed and when you return you will apologize and say you were not thinking clearly since your little head was clothed.

February 22, 2010 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  8. mjm

Good for him. I can't comment on the bill itself because I have no clue what's in it. Probably because CNN is to busy with articles on Palin to report real news. But if Brown feels it will benefit his state, he should vote for it......Do we still get to be called the "Party of No"....cause you know how that means nothing to us....

February 22, 2010 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  9. IndiePA

BIG MISTAKE!!! Do you know that the "jobs" bill contains tax breaks for employers who hire ILLEGAL ALIENS????? Is that what you want your tax dollars spent on?? Wake up, Americans! Both parties + so-called independents are more than willing to spend your money on support for ILLEGALS. How much more are you willing to take??

February 22, 2010 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  10. Jane/Seattle

There must be a trick somewhere coming up! Or perhaps a Republican got hit in the head and is about to turn like Lieberman? Or maybe this guy will be another mavricky to support his own re-elections, then turn on the voters later after he feels secure in his role or gets bought for a bigger price. Guess we'll wait and see. I am way too old and used to being betrayed to trust very many under this corrupted system! Age 61 and Counting with all the broken promises never kept for all these years!

February 22, 2010 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  11. Dimslie

He has no choice. The Dims will demogogue him to death in Mass. if he votes against something called a "jobs bill".

February 22, 2010 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  12. Independent_me

Oh gawd!
    he must be giving the Rethuglicans heart-burn!
    I hope he has the guts to remain a true Independent – those are the voterds who put him in office, not the crazy extremists!

February 22, 2010 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  13. Independent_me

Oh gawd!
    he must be giving the Rethuglicans heart-burn!
    I hope he has the guts to remain a true Independent – those are the voters who put him in office, not the crazy extremists!

February 22, 2010 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  14. T'SAH from Virginia

What about the other 49 States – are you seeking SELF-INTEREST only??? AND, you have a health care bill for your state – EXPENSIVE – but a bill – therefore, you will NEVER vote for the health care reform bill. AGAIN, what about the other 49 states?????

BUT – I think you may be alright – at least you are willing to vote AWAY from your party if you know it is RIGHT – I'll be LQQKN @ you!!

February 22, 2010 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  15. Rick

Now, if we can just get 99 more Sen. to make the same declaration....

February 22, 2010 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  16. Liberal4Obama

Bravo Sen. Scott Brown !

February 22, 2010 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  17. tdl

Wow.....I am impressed...finallly some one with the people in mind

February 22, 2010 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  18. suzy

And this is the way Congress is supposed to act!
    FOR THE PEOPLE – NOT themselves!

Good for you Senator! Teddy would be proud.

February 22, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  19. BestProfitCompany = WAR

I am impressed. Good job Brown, dont let the rethuglicans FORCE you to be different!

February 22, 2010 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  20. Conserve America!!!

Oh, and here comes the heart break! That "Republican" you voted for that was to take out the liberal lion's home? Should have read his real positions by looking at his record. He's a pro-choice liberal, always has been. And now that the election's over–well, here comes the pain. Were you really surprised? The Taxachusettes Tea Party sent a Democrat in Republican clothing!!

February 22, 2010 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  21. Bob of Lompoc

Republicans across the Nation just stopped dancing!

February 22, 2010 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  22. Conserve America!!!

He loves Romneycare, which is identical to Obamacare. Oh, and did I mention he's pro-choice? This is what you get when you compromise. He's Obama's 60th vote. Hope you're happy.

February 22, 2010 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  23. Ancient Texan

Huh! That didn't take long. Sen Brown may be someone other than we thought. To join Snow and Collins and vote with the libs on a one party bill decided by Harry Reid makes you wonder. Could he be another Spector?

February 22, 2010 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  24. Independent One

Finally a repubs who is putting the Country above party

February 22, 2010 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  25. Kevin

And here I thought this guy was going to be just another member of the party of "NO". Maybe he'll be okay after all.

February 22, 2010 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |