February 22nd, 2010

Senate takes up jobs bill

New York (CNNMoney.com) - The Senate voted Tuesday to begin considering a $15 billion jobs creation bill that would give businesses a tax break for hiring the unemployed.

The 4-prong bill would:

-Exempt employers from Social Security payroll taxes on new hires who were unemployed;

-Fund highway and transit programs through 2010;

-Extend a tax break for business that spend money on capital investments
like equipment purchases;

-Expand the use of the Build America Bonds program, which helps states
and municipalities fund capital construction projects.

Five Republicans - including newly elected Senator Scott Brown, R-Mass. reached across the aisle to approve the procedural measure, which passed by a 62-30 vote. One Democrat did not support it.

A final vote on the bill should take place in a few days.

Full story

Filed under: Congress • Jobs
  1. terry,va.

This isn't a jobs bill. Obummie is grabbing at straws. He will need one to breathe because he is under water. What an idiot in chief.

February 22, 2010 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  2. Center left-out

Now, do the same for Health Care with a Public Option. The Democrats are foolish. The Public Option is just a popular as Cash for clunkers. It's a win for Democrats and a win for the American people.

February 22, 2010 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  3. teller

I want to know what Dem didn't vote for it.

February 22, 2010 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  4. Ancient Texan

"We've got to stop spending money we don't have." Oops, well since the last PORKULAS bill, $787 billion boondoggle worked so well, let's do it again. China is on the way to repossess America, since it's apparent we've lost our sense of reason.

February 22, 2010 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  5. southern cousin

$15 billion for a worthless jobs bill from Obozo and a trillion (underestimated) so the liberals can decide whether you live or die. Obozo is the biggest crook in history.

February 22, 2010 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  6. nathan smith ga

great to see the senate work together for progess wish the gop would also work to get healthcare reform done as well.

February 22, 2010 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  7. Marcus Tate

When will they start taking our jobs back from India and China? When will they repeal H-1 and L-1? When will they make it more difficult to outsource our jobs and send them overseas? I am am American IT worker, and I fear for my job EVERY DAY. If you want to create jobs here, then you have to stop sending all our jobs overseas, stop bringing people here from every nation on earth to take our jobs, make it more difficult for greedy corporations to put Americans in direct competition with the poorest economies on the planet, and makeit worthwhile for American business to keep jobs HERE. So far, our politicians talk a good game on jobs, but its all talk until any of this starts happening.

February 22, 2010 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  8. Dean

Hire them to do what?

February 22, 2010 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  9. John

Senate takes up jobs bill

Republicans to the jobless: Neener, neener, neener....I'm rich and you're not.

February 22, 2010 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  10. DAVE N CA

ohhhh the Unions are salivating over this additional payoff for there votes..... who would like to bet that after this is rolled out it will be reported that 80-90% of funds will be given to jobs that will be performed by UNION workers and only UNION workers????

February 22, 2010 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  11. Ender

LOL

For a guy who ran on "NO Obama" Scott Brown has been the first to reach across the isle on many issues.

Is he a ringer or just a liar?

February 22, 2010 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  12. Mike in MN

The measure to exempt employers from Social Security payroll taxes on new hires who were unemployed will only subsidize employers who were going to hire new employees anyway, it does not provide a business enough money to actually expand.
    The other 3 points will create a few jobs, not enough to see any improvement in unempolyment. Should have stuck with the 85 billion dollar bipartisan bill. But that's Harry Reid for you. Past time for him to go. Could have actually had a serious bipartisan bill to help create jobs and Reid tears it up. Bozo the clown would do a better job.

February 22, 2010 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  13. Chandler

It is great to see Republicans and Democrats coming together to get things done. FINALLY ! These 5 Republicans have earned a lot of respect in my book. I wish the rest of the GOP would stop posturing, and start working. 6 Republican Senators didn't even vote!

February 22, 2010 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  14. Obamalism

Here's a novel idea... there's hundreds of billions of unspent money from Porkulus slated for pork projects like field mice studies. Use that money for this bill and very few would object...except Pelosi.

February 22, 2010 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  15. bridgette

The Republicans will be against it because it can help the average citizen out and it makes the President look good for doing something for the average American citizen.

February 22, 2010 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  16. givemecrat

wheres mine I want mine give me mine give me a job its the governments job to give me a job where is mine I want mine create a job for me give me a job come on barry help a brother out give me a job

February 22, 2010 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  17. SGJ

FINALLY – some true bipartisanship! Its about time.

February 22, 2010 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  18. Michael from Ventura

Good! And good for Scott Brown voting the correct way.

February 22, 2010 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  19. G-man

If you want to create jobs....stop deficit spending!!! Cut taxes on all working people (rich and poor), cut taxes on corporations. Freeze government hiring. 10% reduction in the pay of all government employees, all social security, disability, unemployment and welfare checks. Every government program should be made to encourage school and work. No one should get a check without performing some work for it. We have too many lazy people in this country and not enough hard working Americans.

February 22, 2010 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  20. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Remember those who didn't vote in favor because they will be the first to step up and take credit.

February 22, 2010 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  21. Anne P

True colors will come out on this one. We'll see who is really for the people or against them. Anyone who'd turn down a jobs bill is clearly not voting in the best interest of the people or our country.

February 22, 2010 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  22. Bobby

These guys are so far away from what it takes to create jobs that it is amazing to me they can hold the jobs they have. Tax credits do me no good. I need for the economy to improve so that citizens and buyers will not be fearful to buy my widgets. If folks buy more of my widgets, I will have to make more widgets. If I have to make more widgets, I will have to HIRE employees to help make them. If I can make and sell enough widgets, I can create WEALTH. By creating wealth, I can EXPAND to produce even more widgets. When I expand, not only will others have to HIRE workers to help me, but I will have to HIRE more workers to produce even more widgets. And the cycle continues. I been doing it successfully 38 years. Is this hard?

February 22, 2010 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  23. JP

Its good to see both sides working on a bill. There is one problem with the bill that needs correcting if employers hire illegals they still get the tax credits and tax benefits. Rewarding employers with our tax dollars who break the law by hiring people who are breaking the law is worse than gross.

February 22, 2010 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  24. Sarah the failure Palin

The more billions we can add to the national debt, the better

February 22, 2010 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  25. Liberal jokers

Nobody is going to hire because of a government program or break. Companies (like mine) hire when we need workers. I'm sticking with the one democrat and 29 republicans that looked at the bill and remembered that our government is a big part of the economic problem.

Good intentions? Probably not. They just want to look like they are doing something... even if it is going to cost us in the future.

February 22, 2010 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |