February 23rd, 2010

Candidate points to 9/11 'questions'

Washington (CNN) - Debra Medina, a conservative candidate for the Texas Republican gubernatorial nomination, attempted to walk a fine line Tuesday when asked if she is a "9/11 Truther."

In an interview with CNN's Rick Sanchez, Debra Medina said she believes that "Muslim terrorists flew planes into those buildings, and I do not believe our government colluded with them or worked with them in any way."

But Medina went on to say that the report issued by the 9/11 Commission, "raised some questions."

"I have not studied that report and am not going to speculate about the content, or the conclusions that they drew," she said." I know that there are questions, and that's all I'm going to say about it."

Medina drew criticism earlier this month when, in an interview with Fox News talker Glenn Beck, she refused to take a position on whether the United States government was involved in the attacks on the World Trade Center.

"I don't have all of the evidence there, Glenn," Medina told Beck on his radio program. "So I don't, I'm not in a place, I have not been out publicly questioning that. I think some very good questions have been raised in that regard. There are some very good arguments, and I think the American people have not seen all of the evidence there. So I've not taken a position on that."

Medina is trailing Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison and Gov. Rick Perry, the frontrunner, in the three-way fight for the GOP nomination. The primary is next Tuesday.

Filed under: 2010 • 9/11 • Texas
  1. 8 Years of 2 Wars and Tax Breaks, did the shrub pass out in Econ 101 at Yale?

Great, either Pompadour Perry and his "secession" speech to the tea gaggers, or this fruit cake "9/11 truther"

Just more proof TX is indeed a sewer and fecal debris floats!

February 23, 2010 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  2. Aunt Bea and Opie

We dont discount anything in these days of George Orwell.Check out the "seven laughing jewish men" sometime.Anything is possible.Who had the most to gain in power,money or military positioning?3000 lives were nothing more than collateral damage for some people.

February 23, 2010 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  3. LacrosseMom(the real one)

The U.S. government was involved in the 9/11 attacks? Are people crazy?

February 23, 2010 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  4. Victim of GOP Taliban

I'm not a "truther". Yet I don't have a shred of confidence that Bush/Cheney are being honest about 9/11. All they cared about was figuring out a way to invade Iraq and 9/11 prevented that opportunity by manipulating data to justify a war based on lies.

February 23, 2010 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  5. PacificView

If she knows there are questions why doesn't she read the report?

Guess that might upset her conspiracy theories if she had too many facts.

February 23, 2010 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  6. Clay

Anyone with a shred of sense knows that Bush and Cheney had a hand in 9/11. For the media to pretend otherwise and refuse to even discuss the possibility only lends credence to the fact.

February 23, 2010 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  7. LG

I'm always fascinated with how the fanatics on the one hand insist that the government is incompetent, and then believe they can pull off staging the destruction of the World Trade Center without significant leakage or slip up.

February 23, 2010 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  8. Truth Hurts

The truth hurts, yes the government was involved, by not being involved. There were mountains and mountains of evidence that this was going to happen, way back into the Clinton days, yet the government and their convoluted agencies did nothing, they failed to get involved.

February 23, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  9. Obama the Liar

i wonder if she wants Van Jones endorsement???

February 23, 2010 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  10. Truth

All of the independent evidence shows the official 9/11 commission report to be a fraud. How many of you have actually done your own research? Be aware of the propaganda all around you.

February 23, 2010 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  11. Franky, Land of Lincoln

She's a moron, I find it distasteful and uncalled for to say our Government is behind the 9/11 attacks. She should go to jail for it.

February 23, 2010 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  12. Chloe in Chatsworth, CA

At least she doesn't think Saddam Hussein was behind it as the Republican VP candidate did before it was explained to her by the McCain campaign.

February 23, 2010 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  13. Concerned Canadian

WTC7 is a huge mystery, the building was clearly brought down in a controlled demolition. What I find really strange is the fact that none of the black boxes aboard the planes that crashed that day were ever (officially) found . I find it extremely suspicious that the US government will not explain any of this. Why won't they????

February 23, 2010 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  14. Fitz in Texas

Oh Debra....a few weeks back you would have had my vote, but now I'm not sure.

February 23, 2010 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  15. GuyInVA

When you end a statement with, "...that's all I'm going to say about it," you probably have something to hide, or you just said something stupid. I don't think she has anything to hide.

February 23, 2010 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  16. John Starnes Tampa Florida

With not even having been hit by a plane, Building 7 also collapsed in seconds into its own footprint. No where in the world before or since 9-11 have steel framed buildings collapsed into their own footprints at near free-fall speeds without controlled demolition. Yet the 9-11 Commission that Bush fought so hard to block oddly omitted any reference to Building 7. A REAL 9-11 investigation has been badly needed for years to insure that those responsible are learned of and found accountable since the Bush regime used 9-11 to savage America and Iraq.

February 23, 2010 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  17. Bill Friedline

'Bout time someone in office mentioned the holes in the official story.

February 23, 2010 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  18. Sue

This idiot Medina was done before the race even got started.

How can the Tea Party members support her???

They should have done their homework on her, before they got behind her.

Drop her like a lead balloon, and put your support behind Kaye Bailey Hutchinson.

February 23, 2010 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  19. mjm

She didn't study the report? Good arguments?

O.K.....she is done. At least she wont split the ticket. Two person race.

February 23, 2010 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |