February 24th, 2010

Boehner lines up GOP docs to fact check health care summit

Washington (CNN) -House Republicans will have a truth squad standing by to fact check during Thursday's televised bipartisan White House health care summit, House Minority Leader John Boehner announced Wednesday. And Boehner's truth squad has an unusual characteristic – more than half of the fact-checking team is made up of doctors.

Here's a list of the House GOP doctors who will be standing by Thursday:

Dr. Paul Broun, R-Georgia
Dr. Michael Burgess, R-Texas
Dr. Bill Cassidy, R-Louisiana
Dr. John Fleming, R-Louisiana
Dr. Phil Gingrey, R-Georgia
Dr. Parker Griffith, R-Alabama
Dr. Tim Murphy, R-Pennsylvania
Dr. Tom Price, R-Georgia
Dr. Phil Roe, R-Tennessee

In addition to these 9 M.D.'s, Rep. Charles Boustany, R-Louisiana, will be part of the group representing House Republicans at the White House meeting.

On the Senate side, the GOP is also sending two more doctors to meet with President Obama: Sens. Tom Coburn, R-Oklahoma, and John Barrasso, R-Wyoming.

Since mid 2009, Coburn and Barrasso have been hosting "The Senate Doctors Show," a twice weekly health care reform Webcast where the two lawmakers take questions submitted by the public.

Follow Martina Stewart on Twitter: @MMStewartCNN

Filed under: Health care
  1. WAW

I don't know about the rest, but the three from Georgia wouldn't know the truth if it hit them in the face. No wonder they couldn't make a living as doctors.

February 24, 2010 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  2. Randolph Carter, I'm no expert but....

Surprise surprise surprise! They're all from hick states. Whoda thunk it? Have a nice day!

February 24, 2010 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  3. Marie MD

boner and a truth squad? Between the quitter/stapleton story and this one I am having a very good afternoon.
    That's a great list. All doctors, but they have sold their soul to the NO party so that the rest of us can't get healthcare.
    coburn and barrasso are doctors who have a show. Shouldn't they be paying more attention to the job they were elected to do?
    Just saying . . . . .

February 24, 2010 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  4. Scott, Tucson

Sadly though the democrats will have the lawyers in their pockets and so they will trump the medical professionals.

February 24, 2010 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  5. WIL

Another GOP stunt, they think this is a joke because they have the best health care our tax dollars can buy. I don't I had to give up mine for me and my family as a small business owner it was costing me $1300.00 a month for me and my family my daughter doesn't know and i pray nothing happens. We are trying to hold on until the economy picks back up and the republicans need to stop playing games with my family and 30million others. Currently i am priced out of insurance but i can pay a price we are not looking for a hand out just affordable insurance ASAP.

February 24, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  6. aware

Will the twister of facts and prince of prevarication prevail? :(

February 24, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  7. LetsBeCivil

Wow! Now there is an unbiased list of advisers/consultants. Does anyone really think they can offer unbiased opinions? After being bombarded with horrid misleading campaign rhetoric from several of those on Boehner's "truth squad", I wouldn't trust them any farther than I can throw them.

February 24, 2010 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  8. Laura

I don't care if Paul Broun has an M.D. He's a nut job, and I don't trust his ability to fact check the phone book.

February 24, 2010 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  9. Sadie

Come on do you see the "R" by all the Doctors names........he really is trying to be bipartisian isn't he........just more tactics to try to make the Health Caree Reform Bill FAIL.........he needs to be put out to pasture......

February 24, 2010 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  10. Chipster

Wow! Look at all the MD-Rs. I didn't even know doctors graduated magna cum partisan. My doctor must be old fashioned. He just has MD after his name.

You can just bet that Boehner isn't bringing on board any doctors who think the legislation has merit. You can also bet that Boehner isn't willing to cancel HIS government healthcare plan.

February 24, 2010 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  11. Sniffit

All Republicans from south of the Mason-Dixon line? Does anyone with a brain in their head believe for a second they are at all objective or that Boehner and his backup singers are even trying to be objective? Pretty easy to sift through doctors to find ultra-conservatives who will cook up whatever you want them to say...being a doctor says nothing about your political leanings (or how smart you are about history and politics an dpublic policy).

February 24, 2010 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  12. Rob Johnson

See? I knew you could do it, Boehner.

The idea that he needed a bunch of governors and state legislators at this meeting in order to have proper input never made any sense.

These are congresspeople, and medical doctors besides, I'm sure they can handle representing the GOP in these negotiations.

February 24, 2010 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  13. mario

Doctor senator, with no pratice since....

February 24, 2010 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  14. Too True For You

Awesome political grandstanding!

These "doctors" are nothing more than republican congressmen who seek any opportunity to sharpen their partisan knives and feast on manufactured publicity.

What a red herring.

February 24, 2010 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  15. Lisa P

The GOP: All stunt, no substance.

February 24, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  16. jeff jackson, alabama

What a novel idea...actually letting doctors
    have input on health care planned by a bunch
    of pirate lawyers.

February 24, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  17. a

hahah all paid doctors

February 24, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  18. A keen observer

What does Boehner know about truth? He is a Republican Congressman and you know they are lying when you see their lips moving.

The only thing the boner is knowledgeable about is spray on tanning lotion and his knowledge is limited in that area. That's why he has an orange color.

February 24, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  19. single mom

YES! I was hoping the GOP would do this. They have more doctors in Congress. It made such perfect sense to have those members involved in discussions that I was worried they wouldn't do it.

February 24, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  20. Florida Joe

With all these Doctors you would think that the Repubs could have come up with a health plan of their own & post it on the internet instead of just saying NO NO NO NO NO NO

February 24, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  21. Allen in Hartwell GA

If this group of august Republican politicians/doctors are to be truth tellers I hope someone swears them in first.

February 24, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  22. malia

Smart move by the Republicans! BO's Health Care Summit will most likely backfired on the Dems...

February 24, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  23. Texas Doc

If they were such good doctors why aren't they practicing anymore? If the GOP hates government so much they should all resign and go back to ...being doctors.

February 24, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  24. ran

And the obstructionism begins.

Reconciliation time.

February 24, 2010 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  25. sandy

hmmmm, I wonder if he will have his health insurance lobbyists standing by as well, and could we get a list of them too.

February 24, 2010 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |