February 24th, 2010

Top Palin aide resigns

A top Palin aide stepped down Wednesday.
A top Palin aide stepped down Wednesday.

Washington (CNN) - Sarah Palin's spokeswoman Meg Stapleton, a close adviser to the former Alaska governor who developed a rocky relationship with other Republicans and members of the media, has resigned, two sources close to Palin confirmed Wednesday to CNN.

Stapleton, a spokesperson for the former governor since 2006, cited the need to spend more time with her husband and young daughter. In a statement first reported by Politico, Stapleton explained that serving Palin "has been an honor" but said it is time to "refocus my priorities."

But ever since Palin was suddenly elevated to the national stage in August 2008, Palin insiders, members of Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign and other Republicans sympathetic to the former governor have grumbled privately about Stapleton's ability to handle the increasingly monumental task of advising Palin, a global political celebrity whose every word is dissected and analyzed by pundits, celebrity magazines and the blogosphere.

Members of the political press corps have also long been frustrated with Stapleton, who was the primary conduit between Palin and members of the media since the end of the 2008 presidential race, but rarely responded to phone calls or e-mails. When Stapleton did, they were often terse or combative.

She and Palin had previously spoken about resigning, but Stapleton informed SarahPAC staffers of her decision by e-mail last week.

"Earlier this week, I handed Governor Palin my resignation, effective the end of this month," the e-mail said. "While I had hoped to work together on so many more projects, time with my precious 2-year-old has been further minimized with the whirlwind commitments of all things Palin. I have done my best to scale back, but Isabella is now resorting to hiding my BlackBerry, and she shouldn't grow up begging for a mother to start acting like a mother."

There are no immediate plans to hire a replacement for Stapleton, a source close to the Palin family told CNN. The source noted that the family, which takes pride in their Alaskan identity, are comfortable speaking in their own voice.

UPDATE: Fred Malek, an influential GOP fundraiser and adviser to Palin, e-mailed to compliment Stapleton on her service.

"Any professional has to be judged by success, and by any measure, Team Palin has been an enormous success," Malek told CNN. "As Governor Palin's principle aide during this awesome rise, she has been a one woman  band and deserves much credit and admiration."

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. m smith

spending time with my family is buzz words for GET ME OUT OF HERE.

February 24, 2010 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  2. Cynthia - Arkansas

I would think she would be a nightmare to work for! Everything that comes out of her mouth is vile and a lie. She lives in La-La land and has WAY too high of an opionion of herself.

February 24, 2010 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  3. If you want someting taxed, and ruined, elect a democrat

No story here people..Stapleton couldn't hang with the big dogs. But I'm sure the left wing attack machine will have some rude personal insults to sling.

February 24, 2010 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  4. RHE

She deserves the Medal of Honor for keeping Palin away from the media

February 24, 2010 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  5. bcnu_too

Why does an uneducated money grubber like Sarah Palin need a spokesperson. These two were "dumb and dumber". Meg Stapleton kept referring to Sarah Palin as Governor months after she resigned.

February 24, 2010 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  6. manuallabor

Sarah Palin is just as evil as ANY of the corrupt politicians from EITHER party. I was leaning towards the Tea party until she walks in and takes over, Now its back to voting strictly Independent,,,, I have NO FAITH in EITHER of the two parties in power, in fact their corruption is getting to be so much alike I chose to rename them as ONE party, they should NOW be known as ,,,,LOOTERS IN SUITS.

February 24, 2010 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  7. Great Northwest

I second that one good ridence whioopy will never be misses dumb as a rock hate full as a mad Bull and you call her a spokes person?

February 24, 2010 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  8. Phiev Tong Him

Ok, it is usual for people who are working in the government to resign from their position. No question that no one is working for the whole life.

February 24, 2010 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  9. Marc from San Diego

What a shock, another quiter in her camp.

February 24, 2010 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  10. Angy

she's probably tired of lying for that stupid "dumb as a stump" palin.

February 24, 2010 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  11. They call me "tater salad"

Yep!......... Still don't care............Thanks for coming.

February 24, 2010 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  12. lw

Is that a subtle dig at Palin? "My child shouldn't have to beg for a mom to be a mom"? Doesn't Palin have multiple Blackberries?

February 24, 2010 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  13. Gregory D. White

Maybe she saw what the rest of us already knew.......This lady has no chance of winning anything, excpet maybe a 2 min 'blurb' on the news. Go away Sarah, your 15 minutes are up........

February 24, 2010 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  14. c spurgeon

UGH!! Nothing else need be said.

February 24, 2010 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  15. Just the facts

Ah, the old, "........spend more time with my family routine."

I guess this woman has had her fill of Mrs. Palin's lies, stupidity, cover ups and an inability of the former Governor's to eliminate the persistent " Deer in the headlights" look and aura that surrounds her.

February 24, 2010 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  16. GI Joe

Maybe Meg will make a fortune with a tell-all book about the palins. ha ha ha ha ha

February 24, 2010 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  17. ldj

Making way for Rove to advise her ???

February 24, 2010 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  18. nater the palin hater

yea shes abandoning ship. I dont blame her

February 24, 2010 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  19. Anonymous

Stop talking about her.

February 24, 2010 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  20. Adalbert

Please, stop talking about this lunatic.

February 24, 2010 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  21. tmn

Palin should be referred to as ex-governor.

February 24, 2010 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  22. A keen observer

Who cares?

February 24, 2010 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  23. T

"Team Palin has been an enormous success."

Really? How has Palin been anything more than a bucket full of Fail?

Though I guess symbolizing most everything that is wrong with American society could be considered a great success if that was your goal. She'd be epic if she was a satirist.....unfortunately she's the political version of Sanjaya Malakar.

February 24, 2010 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  24. I am Newt Limebaugh

Translation:: "I have had enough of this money grabbing loudmouth ditz biyatch and want to go home. Don't call me Sarah ...I'll call you you blood sucking empty headed pariah...............and i digress.

If everybody left sarah ...who would write the notes in her grubby little greedy hand

February 24, 2010 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  25. Dwayne

Good! Go! Happy Trails. Ta Ta!

February 24, 2010 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |