February 25th, 2010

First on the Ticker: Palin to headline annual NRA meeting

Palin will address the gun rights group on May 14.
Palin will address the gun rights group on May 14.

Washington (CNN) – Sarah Palin will headline the National Rifle Association's annual meeting in Charlotte, North Carolina in May, the gun rights group told CNN on Thursday.

Her May 14 appearance at the Charlotte Convention Center will offer Palin, a hunter and fierce advocate of gun rights, an opportunity to appeal to one of the conservative movement's most prominent interest groups.

"Governor Palin is one of the most requested speakers in America today," Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's executive director, told CNN in a statement. "She's an outdoorsman, hunter and a steadfast supporter of our Second Amendment freedom. We are pleased to have a fellow NRA member speak at our 139th annual meeting in Charlotte this May."

If the former Alaska governor and 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee is indeed considering a White House bid in 2012, then the visit will also come with a not insignificant perk: the Charlotte media market spills over into heavily-Republican parts of South Carolina, a crucial early primary state.

Filed under: North Carolina • Sarah Palin • South Carolina
  1. Shepherder in CT

When a retard speaks...all retards listen

February 25, 2010 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  2. Conservatism equals illiterate ignorance

The idiot speaks the the idiot forum on guns, big deal, this is the stupid speaking to the stupid, let's get to real news, ok?

February 25, 2010 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  3. Anonymous

" (FORMER and a short term at that)Governor Palin is one of the most requested speakers in America today," Yeah Right! You have to be joking.......If her tongue was long enough she would trip on it. Blah Blah Blah. Shooting a gun and reading notes on her hands, is like asking someone in a round house to go stand in a corner. Thats the only reason she's with the NRA .......Its called support ME! Remember shes the person who can see the Russians coming right from little ole Alaska....Hardy har har har.......

February 25, 2010 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  4. D.D.

She's not my favorite best friend but I certainly hope she wears a helmet in case someone surprises the group with the appearance of former VP Cheney.That would be frightening so I want her geared.

February 25, 2010 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  5. charlotte

Oh, my, what a surprise.

February 25, 2010 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  6. Too True For You

Oh good. An anti-intellectual populist cranking up a bunch of paranoid conspiracy theory gun owners.

February 25, 2010 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  7. dale

I have been a memebr of the NRA for my entire life. If this is the quality of speaker they choose to bring in, it's time for me to say good-bye.

February 25, 2010 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  8. acvau

Sarah Palin quit state gov. because she could not hack in. in public industery you can'nt quit a job and run next door and get hired. Why do a small select group of people think palin could run a country ? Palin could not run a dog pond. Tthats it Palin be president of a dog pond, and Sentor John Boehner could be her vice president. Very good do nothing team.

February 25, 2010 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  9. brockettma@hiram.edu

sarah, Give it up! Any thinking person knows you are out there hocking your "conservative credentials" to the highest bidder. Any thinking person knows you will say ANYTHING to get your $100,00 per speech . Admit to the world you are on the take to the highest bidder. Go home; you deserted your elected position as Governor of Alaska; who is to say you would not desert the entire nation if Fox News offered you a nice fat contract.

February 25, 2010 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  10. Ryan

And soon it will be NASCAR. Because she's what rural America adores: Redneck & A Bimbo.

February 25, 2010 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  11. al in memphis

__________________________________________________

Why– It was not because whe accomplished something as govenor of Alaska. In this country popularity and outspokenness is rewarded with $million. Now I see why it hard to convince a child to take education seriously– you can make more money just being outrageous and critical.

February 25, 2010 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  12. Marie MD

The BIGGEST moron of them all talking to the gun rights people. Another reason NC is not in our list of states to retire to.
    Nothing says hunter more than hunting defenseless animals from the air or killing pups in their den.
    She's an outdoorsman? She's a freakin' sociopath is what she is.
    I wish she would go hunting with darth vader and get in his line of fire!
    COULD YOU STOP GIVING THIS PIECE OF TURD NEWS TIME!!!
    From my cold dead hands . . . . . :) :)

February 25, 2010 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  13. Mr. Meteoritical

As a former member of the NRA, I can now see that I made the right decision to leave the organization. When the NRA invites a fear-mongering nutjob like Palin to headline their event, it really speaks volumes about where the leadership of this organization has gone – down the toliet. Palin belongs in a mental institution, not in front a podium.

February 25, 2010 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  14. J.P.

Without the Second Amendment, none of the other Amendments even exist, because it is the teeth and the threat of an armed populace that keeps a belligerent government at bay from overrunning the god-given rights of a people.

February 25, 2010 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  15. Sniffit

Let's hope someone forgets to flip their safety on.

February 25, 2010 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  16. la

Her almost son-in-law said in an interview in Vanity Fair that she can barley use a firearm. Big hunter - another lie.

February 25, 2010 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  17. Sniffit

" the god-given rights of a people."

This from the conservatives...i.e., your argument is that the rights enumerated and protected by the Constitution are god-given and that the right to bear arms is what helps us protect them from intrusive, abusive and unresponsive gov't. Fair enough. I agree with you there. But is it also your position that God only saw fit to give those rights to Americans? Because I could swear to that same God I've seen you and others of your species arguing that the Constitution doesn't apply to anyone but us (lik ein th etorture debate). But see, if those rights are "god-given," then you have to admit that the Constitution is just an acknowledgment of truths that already existed. The truth is not that all "Americans" are created equal, but that all "men" are. It's alright though....you take the huypocrisy road and I'll take the logical one.

February 25, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  18. Taste good

CMG February 25th, 2010 4:34 pm ET
    Let me guess, she is going to demonstrate how to shoot an innocent animal from an aircraft

I hope so CMG. I would love to see how it is done. I shot an innocent animal this year, a very pretty doe. And you know what? She tastes good with a little seasonings, maybe some BBQ sauce, or in a bowl of chili.
    I saved my family about 300 dollars this year but shooting that animal, and we are healthy, less fat in wild game.

You should try it.

February 25, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  19. not J.P.

Don't get me wrong I believe responsible american's have right to own a gun, but J.P., if the second amendment is as important you think why is it the SECOND AMENDMENT and not the first? And for that sake why is it not included in the original constitution?

February 25, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  20. Tim

She can draw a crowd, so I'd use her too.

February 25, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  21. felicia

she would give a speech at the nra, that'sjust what kind of person she is. (LOSER)

February 25, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  22. NadineCA

She already appear at NASCAR. These gun loving NRA people love her. It only makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the people who support her or can't see what a truly bad role model she is. She appears on every tv show, magazine cover and radio show she can but then she turns around and complains about bad press or lack of privacy. Hey Sarah, how about just saying no to some of these media events, you should be good at it by now, your people are the party of no when it comes to real issues like Health Care Reform. I got an idea, why doesn't the media and press stop reporting on her so much.

February 25, 2010 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  23. Bedtime for Obonzo

I love the NRA. Sarah Palin....not so much.

February 25, 2010 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  24. The RIGHT to Hapiness

Why are all the people making comments so sexist. Nobody wants to argue the merits of what she says they just want to insult and make fun of her?

Very ignorant, closed minded, intolerant people on this posting.

I amy not think she would be a good Presidential candidate but that doesn't mean you can't debate and respect her views.

February 25, 2010 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  25. almost did...

I can honestly say I am a proud owner of guns and proud to be an advocate for conceal carry...Now that she will be speaking for the NRA you can count on me 'not' joining...

February 25, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |