February 25th, 2010

McCain, Obama face off

(CNN) - Things got a little testy Thursday between President Obama and Sen John McCain, the two former campaign rivals.

McCain slamed the special deals inserted in the Senate health care bill, saying those should be removed so that the American people will know "that geography does not dictate what kind of health care they will receive."

Obama shot back, "Let me just make this point, John, because we're not campaigning anymore. The election is over."

"I'm reminded of that every day," McCain quickly interjected.

Filed under: Extra • John McCain • President Obama
  1. NadineCA

Mccain says he's reminded of it everyday but yet he still acts like he doesn't know any better. Can you say bitter much.

February 25, 2010 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  2. jules sand-perkins

Republicans did well in the debate, not letting President Obama intimidate then into appearing uncooperative (his goal for calling the summit), holding their ground firmly, and even rattling our oh-so-cool President, who snapped at Senator McCain. McCain's light retort and chuckle made him the clear winner of that set–in the President's court!

February 25, 2010 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  3. The RIGHT to Hapiness

That sounds like a very childish remark from Obama. McCain had a very reasonable request that 99% of the country would agree with.

I hope the Dems get taken to the tool shed in the mid term elections so at least we can have a little bit of Bipartisanship.

February 25, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  4. JD

"The election is over", Mr. President????So...once you get elected, your campaining promises mean nothing now? I hope you will bring that statement up again in three year when you run for your re-election again and see how fast we throw you out of the office. For sure, Mr. Obama, don't count my vote for you again in 3 yrs becuz I can't trust you with your campaining promises.

February 25, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  5. JWB

I find it interesting how the GOP complains about the special deals in the Senate health care bill, when it is the GOP's refusal to paricipate which gives the power to the democratic Senators to demand these special deals. Do you really think Nebraska would have gotten special deals when Nelson's vote wouldn't be needed to try to pass a bill?

February 25, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  6. RJW Times, England, UK

McCain, it also isn't fair that Democratic states are smaller and that the Republicans, (he being one of them) will not at any cost to their power greedy motives allow Democrats to sort out healthcare once and for all and stop the poor on the streets and middle class Americans get the healthcare they need. Watch Sicko, MCCAIN.

February 25, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  7. Linda

I must say good job pres. It does not matter what the subject has been since Nov 09 every time I see McCain talk on it. He is a bitter angry man. He never NEVER has any thing nice to say on a topic. He always thinks he has a better idea. Sad that a man that has put so much of his life in the public eye is so bitter and thinks that we still owe him something. Vietnam is over, election is over and your Senate days will be over very soon. Try to find something to make you happy before the end.

February 25, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  8. Fed Up in Alaska

Arrogance, thy name is Obama.

February 25, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  9. Bob44

John "Filibuster" McCain vs. Prof. Barack Obama. McCain was right when he said the bill was put together behind closed doors. And Obama was right when he told McCain what he was complaining about was pre-election history.

Guys, just work together and get this thing resolved!

February 25, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  10. RJW Times, England, UK

I mean allow the middle class Americans get the healthcare they need.

February 25, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  11. Scott

Score one for Obama

February 25, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  12. Christian

That's not "snapping." That's just making a mild retort. Way to alarm people needlessly, news.

February 25, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  13. John

This is embarassing.. Couple it with "I didn't count my own speaking time because I'm the President" and hopefully it will be reflected in the upcoming elections to combat his arrogance.

I just wish McCain said "We're reminded every day" instead of using the word I. Barack the rock star – good job America.

February 25, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  14. Teknarik

So arrogant Mr. President...you won't win my vote anytime soon by repeating this garbage over and over! Yes, you won, we get it! Get over it yourself and do the job you were elected to do! Talk is cheap if not followed by appropriate actions!

February 25, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  15. Al

They should receive an Academy Award after that performance.

February 25, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  16. Tom, Flagstaff AZ

As an Arizonan, I am not a supporter of McCain. He is an intemperate, mean-spirited individual, who would have been a very dangerous president. I am glad that President Obama snapped at McCain. I'd like to have the same opportunity.

February 25, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  17. Kate

Another reason McCain should go. He is just an angry, high tempered man that should not be representing American people.

February 25, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  18. Chris Hearn

I wouldn't exactly call that snapping. And the story is confused. McCain was talking about campaign promises to change Washington before the president said that. When McCain later brought up the geography point, Obama agreed with him. At no point did it seem as though Obama snapped at anyone.

February 25, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  19. lefty loosy

Poor poor Nobama , cant accept the truth from an old man

February 25, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  20. Bedtime for Obonzo

How dare Sen. McCain question the Beloved Leader? Note that essentially Obama gave a nonresponsive answer when McCain pointed out the Louisiana Purchase and the Cornhusker Kickback.

February 25, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  21. Marc

I would just liketo say, that President Obama's behavior and respones to Senator McCains concerns as to how the Health Bill was conjured up behind closed door meetings and special Interest deal makings by Reid was not only distasteful, but offensive to me a U.S. citizen. Washington D.C. no longer (if it ever was) is a place of honor and ethics; a place where Congressmen and women and Senators have not forgotten that they are elected by the people and for the people! and, not just for what they can carve out for their own states in order to pass legislature! Every U.S. citizen deserves to be handled and treated exactly the same under a federal health care plan with no special deals just so the president can say–look at me I have done soemthing no other president has done passed a health bill–through under handed deals. I am ashamed to be called an American when i see how our elected officials behave with the law and our country. Where are the real deals?

February 25, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  22. holto

I am a huge Obama supporter, but I actually agree with John McCain's remark here. We are glossing over the single most sinister problem in our government. They don't want to address it because it benefits them to leave it as is.

February 25, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  23. Nick Getzinger

Speaking as a soldier from Operation Enduring Freedom who came home with injuries and not able to support my family let alone provide them with insurance.

I support limited issues on bothsides, however there will be tens of thousands of soldiers like me who will not be able to provide insurance for their families in the current market and we will be left out. I support Insurance reform and insurance for all. I don't think that a 51% majority is forcing anything down anyones throat other than the insurance companies.

February 25, 2010 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  24. Sniffit

Wow...looks like Pampers McCain started his sundowning early today.

February 25, 2010 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  25. Alex

Unfortunately, we're aware that the election is over because Obama has abandoned every single element of his campaign platform. The health care bill sucks, and that's cause Obama already agreed to they basic structure of it last year with the insurance companies: no public option, no accountability, and rates will continue to skyrocket... Plus people may be legally required to buy insurance they don't need! What a joke... If Obama would go to bat for something like Medicare for all, maybe he'd be able to get some real public support. Until he offers something worthwhile, Republicans will be able to control the dialogue to some extent.

February 25, 2010 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |