February 25th, 2010

McCain, Obama face off

(CNN) - Things got a little testy Thursday between President Obama and Sen John McCain, the two former campaign rivals.

McCain slamed the special deals inserted in the Senate health care bill, saying those should be removed so that the American people will know "that geography does not dictate what kind of health care they will receive."

Obama shot back, "Let me just make this point, John, because we're not campaigning anymore. The election is over."

"I'm reminded of that every day," McCain quickly interjected.

Filed under: Extra • John McCain • President Obama
  1. john

Sensationalist CNN. He didn't 'snap' at him. It was a civil exchange about an important topic.

February 25, 2010 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  2. buckwheat

In a lot of places around the world you can not voice your opinion. Are we to become the next Iran? The truth hurts doesn't it?

February 25, 2010 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  3. diridi

Pres. obama did wonderful job on health care debate. McCain and John Bohner are both stupids. They (Idiots) want to defeat. Only solution for this is to suspend their insurance from the Government of united states. These idiots do not know the constitutents, nor problems associated therewith. period. Pres. Obama, We love you, My vote and my wife's vote for you next elections. Just pass this with at least 51 votes. Good luck, god bless you!!! pres. obama.

February 25, 2010 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  4. Dave

I have an idea. Let's tell the republicans we are gonna spend $2.5 trillion dollars to bomb Iran, then when the bill passes with overwhelming republican support, spend the funds on healthcare. If republicans are born liars then why can't they be as well.

February 25, 2010 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  5. Mike

WTG Obama!!!!!

February 25, 2010 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  6. sotired

did you hear how long mccain went on and on and on and on...no wonder it takes so long for things to get accomplished in washington...just shutup and get to work!!!!!!

February 25, 2010 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  7. Ben Demeter

Evidently the Republicans think we are all a bunch of fools out here in the hinterland.It's also painfully obvious that the Republicans couldn't care less who lives, who dies, who goes bankrupt trying to stay alive with Cancer or any other catastrophic disease as long as their INSURANCE COMPANY friends maintain their outrageous profits and the huge contributions to their re-election. The Republicans handed Medicare over to the Insurance Companies in Dec. 2003 with HR2473, secretly behind closed doors after mid night...Senator Mc Cain you included. If President Obama had not won 45 million seniors would eventually be assigned to abject poverty, much like what's happening to Americans without Insurance. Senator Mc Cain were are NOT ALL FOOLS.

February 25, 2010 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  8. Bull

Cheap shot by Obama, everybody including McCain knows Obama won the election. In fact a day has not gone by since he came to office that he and his socialist pals, Ried and Pelosi have not rammed their fist down out throats reminding us, while reaching for our wallets.

Special State Deals Should be Eliminated.

February 25, 2010 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  9. bob T.

arrogance........who voted for this........

this is why the country is going backwards for the first time in my 60 years

February 25, 2010 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  10. ThinkAgain

I listened to the exchange, and President Obama didn't "snap" at Senator McCain.

The President was just trying to keep the proceedings moving along; nothing more.

Next!

February 25, 2010 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  11. Pat

whether you are democrat or republican, I agree that special deals need to be taken out. I've listened for 6 hours and it seems that Obama is just smug and constantly trying to control everything.

February 25, 2010 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  12. Chris - Denver

Mccain is such a sore loser. If he can't get over himself, he should just go away. Slink back to one of his 13 houses and take some happy pills with his creepy wife.

February 25, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  13. SC Pub No More

Well old John McEx-Maverick brought his campaign speech to the summit. He is fighting for his political life in Arizona against the Tea Party and he wants to look tough and "tea-party like." In the end, he is the same old bitter man who lost the Presidential election twice... once to Bush and once to Obama. John, if you are interested in what the "American people" want, one thing is for certain, they don't want you leading things!

February 25, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  14. dimes

McCain said it perfectly, the campaign is over and now we need change ........ from Obummer

February 25, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  15. Nick Getzinger

Americans at home and our troops abroad do not do not have time to let this go, it won't be long when tens of thousands of soldiers, sailors and air force personel come home, what will we have for them and their families. We the people can make a change to plan and prepare for the future. What are we going to do to make a change for the men and women fighting for our country.

February 25, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  16. Avg Guy in Red State Kansas

Bravo, Mr. President.

I'm a fellow Vietnam vet who once served in the Navy with Sen. John McCain and thought he could do no wrong. Boy, was I proven wrong. His constant barrage of false and misleading allegations during the campaign showed he is incapable of rising above the fray and putting America first.

True, Mr. Obama wasn't pristine in his campaiging, but McCain proved during the campaign he was not above lurking out in the weeds and taking cheap potshots at Mr. Obama. Sounds like he didn't learn any lessons from his defeat!

February 25, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  17. GuyInVA

Pure political theater at its worst. Of course Senator McCain was being political by using terms like "Louisiana Purchase" and "Cornhusker Kickback." However, what's with that "the election's over" comment? Should we take that to mean that the president shouldn't be held accountable for things he said during the campaign? This entire charade is a waste of the people's time. No one is going to compromise. Each of these people should go back to their respective bodies of congress and do their jobs. The democrats should go ahead and use the budget reconciliation process and pass healthcare reform (or is it health insurance reform again?). The republicans should dare them to do it.

February 25, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  18. A Guy

How do you spell sore loser?

J-O-H-N M-C-C-A-I-N

February 25, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  19. cjr

mccain is a real jerk – god only knows what would have happened if he had been elected. he needs to retire or something. one angry guy – good for obama!!

February 25, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  20. Brian

Wow, how very telling. "The election is over" and "we are not campaigning anymore." In other words, the whole transparency and change promise was only to get elected. I am so so so very sorry I voted for this man.

February 25, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  21. Marie MD

Kudos to President Obama.
    mcnasty is a first class a$$. Right now he looks as if he is ready to fall asleep. Obviously it's past his bedtime!
    mcconnell is another one. I don't know who he is talking to, but I bet there are a LOT of people in KY in need of affordable health care.
    Another old fart who needs to go.

February 25, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  22. Obama Exposed

Obama just showed his overwhelming lack of class.
    He acted like nothing more than a petulant street fighter from a Chicage hood.

February 25, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  23. Shelley

So tried of hearing the Republicans say take a blank page. Why would anyone with common sense throw away a years' worth of hard work in the trash. That is just plain stupid. Take that hard work and go through it line by line and ask them what brought it there in the first place. and as far as the polls go, I have searched, and searched looking for a poll and I can't find one to put my in put into. Someone ask me what I want. I have to buy my own insurance. I need a deductible that is sensible not the $5000.00 that I have now. I need to be able to cross state lines, because I live in two different states. I have been dianosed with a pre existing condition. It is called High Blood Pressure. So I now have been turned down by two of the biggest Health Insurance companies around. How many of you out there have High Blood Pressure? These people today talking, do not care about us because they have government insurance. Take theres away and let them go out there and get there own insurance. See how they like that.

February 25, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  24. Leslie

McCain needs to be snapped at, he is constantly whining and really never has anything constructive to add to the health care issue.

February 25, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  25. Mercy Me

McCain given the political environment in Arizona right now I doubt you speak for the people of your State let alone the rest of America. go campaign at home .... leave the Senate for people who are interested in accomplishing something not running for office.

February 25, 2010 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |