February 25th, 2010

McCain, Obama face off

(CNN) - Things got a little testy Thursday between President Obama and Sen John McCain, the two former campaign rivals.

McCain slamed the special deals inserted in the Senate health care bill, saying those should be removed so that the American people will know "that geography does not dictate what kind of health care they will receive."

Obama shot back, "Let me just make this point, John, because we're not campaigning anymore. The election is over."

"I'm reminded of that every day," McCain quickly interjected.

Filed under: Extra • John McCain • President Obama
  1. Ed Henson

The president was correct in admonising Senator McCain that the election is over. That is the presidential election. However the mid-term elections are just around the corner, and for one the senator from Az is facing a tough primary challenger. The session appeared to be civil up to that point. The truth of the matter is republicans are just not in favor of any health care reform and the mantra of let's start over means let's kill the bill. As for a super majority fillerbuster 60 vote requirement to get anything done in congress. This will lead to gridlock like we have in Ca. With the minority thwarting the will of the majority. The congress needs to pass a bill now and move on.

February 25, 2010 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  2. Dar

Odumbo's getting a little defensive about his junk bill, I think he is running scared and he's not sure that he wants all the blame if he can get the Dems to pass this on their own.
    This bill will hurt most of all American's and Odumbo wants the Repubs to be a part of this failure so he can say that it wasnt all his fault.
    To bad Odumbo, this is all going to be on you big boy.
    PS: This summit was a joke, just like you.

2010/2012 REAL Change is coming

February 25, 2010 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  3. LYNETTE IN CA

Get a grip John!
    You CANNOT out think or out talk President Obama!
    Did you come with ideas or not?
    NOT wins again!
    I suggest you suspend this crappy campaign too!

February 25, 2010 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  4. AZ

stupid McCain does not when to shut-up and listen.

February 25, 2010 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  5. jayindenver

McCain is reminded every day that the election is over when the CNN ticker puts up the Palin comment du jour and the Arizona senator winces at himself for the monster he unleashed on the USA.

February 25, 2010 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  6. Pat in IL

Will somebody PLEASE tell John McCain that it's over – he lost, and it's not doing his credibility any good to keep bashing everything that comes out of Obama's mouth simply because he is now the president. He's supposed to be a statesman working for the good of the country – not acting like a pouty child.

February 25, 2010 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  7. J.P.

We're not campaigning anymore?

Has anyone told the president yet?

February 25, 2010 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  8. Big Shot on Campus

Typical.
    Obama pounding his chest saying " LOOK AT ME "

I won the election, I am the man, I am the President,,,, I am the chosen one.

Honestly, it was uncalled for. I am SURE the Democrats and Liberals will jump all over John McCain on this ticker subject. But if your being honest, Obama was doing nothing more than posturing with this comment. Many will call McCain a sore loser,,, well, Obama is a sore winner.

February 25, 2010 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  9. Thomas

Wasn't a McCain supporter but I liked what he had to say there. Obama didn't need to make that comment about the election being over and I think it cheapened his remarks following.

February 25, 2010 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  10. Mark

The election is over but that doesn't change the fact that McCain is a senator and has every right ..no... duty to point out the special deals should be removed.....REMOVE the DEALS...I'm not a republican I am one of those swing independent voters and I'll tell you I'm getting sick of the crap from both sides.... Get out the special deals... put your heads together like should have been done when the Democratic party had their super majority and could have cared less to include the views of the minority party..... I had a lot of hope for you Mr. President; but I got to say your arrogance is astounding and distasteful.

Sign me Sick Independent

February 25, 2010 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  11. Chicago ExPat

Oh, snap! Guys, take it outside!

February 25, 2010 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  12. Trish

Wow, right on Mr. President.

February 25, 2010 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  13. Robert

While I think McCain has a legitimate point, it wasn't the place or time to bring it up. The meeting was to put political speeches aside and find common ground.

McCain was playing politics with it and the president was right to reply as he did.

February 25, 2010 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  14. NObama & the Dumocraps

As usual,NObama tries to granstand and ram his power.His is a total failure to the American people.He makes Carter look good.A year and NOTHING.the GOP is the party to follow.

February 25, 2010 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  15. Bobby

BHO is frustrated. He is showing it. That is not going to help him. I think he knows that their is a middle ground, but he is fighting it based more on politics than what makes sense and what might work. Again, the leftnuts, well, are nuts. Just spend the money. Don't worry about it. Give, give, give. Spend, spend, spend. Let's don't try and find the savings, or open a savings account and put some of these big savings we are projecting in there before we go on this huge spending spree. Nope, the leftnuts just want to spend and then blame Bush

February 25, 2010 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  16. Al Artanis

Obama's response has nothing to do with the point McCain made. It's a very unusual thing to say in response to a legitimate statement.

What Obama should have said is, "Let me make this point, John, I am the chosen one. How dare you disagree with me."

One other thing. McCain was no prize as presidential candidate, but Obama is now appearing to be a fool when compared to him.

February 25, 2010 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  17. ART

I'am sick and tired of these do nothing republicans Mr Mccain should not ever accept any government health care ie medicare which his old self is entitled too since it is such a bad thing. They need to put up or shut up

February 25, 2010 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  18. William Grabowski

Look we need health change and we need it now. I support the presidents plan, at least it is a starting point !!

February 25, 2010 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  19. Alex Beatty

His eyes kept going to the camera during his statment. That was for people not in that room. Obamas eyes went to the camera at times also, but he was making it clear that he was talking to viewers.

February 25, 2010 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  20. Dave

So where were the heated words??? I just heard two people discussing an issue like civilized humans. Nice attention grabbing headline...at the expense of the truth.

February 25, 2010 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  21. Arizona

Send this old crook home now!

February 25, 2010 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  22. Lisa M.

Prehaps the president should not have been so snappy. However the word around the inner circles of the Senate is that John McCain has been a very bad loser. Almost unbearable. Not a happy man these days espically with that Haywood guy nipping at his heals for his job.

February 25, 2010 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  23. Sgt. Flagg T. McLiberty, Superpatriot

Is McCain being advised by the same people who are feeding talking points to his BBF Sarah?

February 25, 2010 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  24. Michael, Phoenix AZ

McCain is an idiot! If it doesn't go his way, it is wrong.

February 25, 2010 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  25. Steve Vance

Obama was a great candidate.... but he's turned into a lousy president.
    He's not interested in public opinion or upholding campaign promises.
    Healthcare will be his Waterloo!

February 25, 2010 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |