February 25th, 2010

Paterson: 'Open mind' about suspending campaign

ALT TEXT

Gov. David Paterson, D-New York, launched a bid for his own term on Saturday. (Getty Images)

(CNN) – In his first press conference since a bombshell New York Times story reported that he may have intervened in a domestic assault case involving a top aide, New York Gov. David Paterson said late Thursday that he will forge ahead with his troubled election bid, despite calls from fellow state Democrats to suspend his campaign.

But Paterson did not completely rule out ending his campaign, which was facing difficult odds even before the New York Times story was published. He said he would spend the "next few days" soliciting the opinions of other party leaders.

"I am not suspending my campaign, but I am talking to a number of elected officials around the state, as I would, fellow Democrats, to hear their opinions," he told reporters in New York City. Asked about the calls for him to back out of the race, Paterson said he had "an open mind" about the situation.

"I want the Democrats to win this November," he said. "I want the governor of the state of New York to be Democratic, hopefully me, and I will weigh what they have to say, but right now I am a candidate for governor."

Paterson said he is in the race "for the long haul," but added: "I am not in it without having my colleagues feel they can talk to me about this."

He expressed confidence that the state Attorney General's office - led by Andrew Cuomo, the Democrat who has been mulling a primary challenge to Paterson - will clear him of any wrongdoing. Ultimately, he said, "everyone will understand."

He said he would not resign the governor's office.

Filed under: 2010 • Andrew Cuomo • David Paterson • New York
  1. PKZ

I hope the NYT story doesn't draw any attention away from his gross incompetence...

February 25, 2010 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  2. Perusing-through

Dear Mr. Paterson,

It is time to let it go. Attorney General Andrew Cuomo will do a splendid job and is strongly supported by the party and the people of New York.

February 25, 2010 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  3. Greg

Please get rid of Campbell Brown, she never questions the liars, Rep Ryan was lying this evening. Why didn't Brown challenge him? Republicans continue with lies about not being part of the process that is not true and was true before today's meeting.

February 25, 2010 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  4. bennie new york

Paterson falling on his sword? I'll believe it when I see it.

February 25, 2010 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  5. jules sand-perkins

Governor Paterson has been the target of some very powerful defamation: one could never think of such a strong man as a victim.
    Ruthless defamation, often from the very highest sources, is common in every industry. Only the most naïve persons would believe that public servants seek political careers "because they're just really good people who want to devote their whole lives to helping society, because they're concerned for others."
    The business of politics is filthy.

February 25, 2010 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  6. John

I've heard a lot about the scandals but nothing about how well he does his job. Most of the personal things should be no one's business. At least he has been honest unlike most other politicians.

February 25, 2010 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  7. R.O.B.

Mr. Paterson, if you run your campaign on the platform that you are an advocate for the legalization of marijuana, I bet your odds for winning would increase. At this point you really don't have anything to lose, so why not?

February 25, 2010 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  8. Texas Jack

Please do not run.

February 25, 2010 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  9. JES

Just go away you have had your fifteen minutes.

February 25, 2010 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  10. j

I really think Paterson should let the people decide. After all McCain was virtually out of the running in the Republican primaries but came back to win. This type of thing happens in politics. Circumstances change. Paterson should let the people of New York decide.

February 25, 2010 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  11. Roberto Navarro

Thanks for the excellent coverage of the Health Summit. FOX coverage was more an expression of their views and CNN covered the morning session only.

February 25, 2010 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  12. valwayne

Gov Patterson shouldn't let the White House drive him from the race with dirty rumors! Hang in there Governor!!!!

February 25, 2010 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  13. MatthewDetroit

Too bad Patterson... Your boy obama is railroading you....

Too bad a brutha wont help you out... Oh well....
    He is pushing buttons all over the country and trying to control elections...

It is one thing to endorse a candidate...it is another to push some in and out so you control who is running...

That is how chavez runs his elections in Venezuela.... Good little socialist dictator that he is.

February 26, 2010 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  14. Michael Haering

Hey CNN - its only a story about the Gov. of NY and valid accusations against him and the State Police concerning their interference in a domestic violence charge. Let's have some of the details, please! Did the governor's people put pressure on the victim to let the charges be dismissed?
    Where's your investigative journalism and sense of a balanced story?

Are you really "keeping them honest"?

Michael in Washington.

February 26, 2010 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  15. jules sand-perkins

Govenor Paterson has done an extremely fine job for our great state.
    He has an heroic version of sterling character, and if he is on the ballot I will vote for him.

February 26, 2010 04:18 am at 4:18 am |
  16. jules sand-perkins

How ironic that Govenor Paterson is the Democratic candidate who would be free of the stigma of President Obama's endorsement. (Remember Coakley, MassachusettEs?)
    It's going to be a good roll of elections for Republicans!

February 26, 2010 04:34 am at 4:34 am |