February 26th, 2010

Bush jokes about writing book in reunion event

President George W. Bush was back in Washington on Friday.
President George W. Bush was back in Washington on Friday.

Washington (CNN) – Former President George W. Bush appeared relaxed as he talk about his post-presidency life, according to one participant at Friday's kickoff breakfast for the Bush Cheney Alumni Association at a Washington hotel.

In his speech to several hundred people who served in his administration, he also talked about writing his book, due out later this year, and in the process poked fun at himself.

"This is going to come as quite a shock to people up here that I can write a book, much less read one," Bush joked, the one participant told CNN, confirming a quote first reported by Politico. The participant refused to discuss his comments in any more depth since it was a closed press event, and Mr. Bush asked for his remarks not to be leaked.

Bush's spokesman refused to comment on the event.

The former president previously told the Los Angeles Times his aim for the book was to help "people to understand the environment in which I was making decisions ... I want people to get a sense of how decisions were made, and I want people to see the options that were placed before me."

Originally, former Vice President Dick Cheney was also supposed to appear at the Friday event, but canceled because he is still recuperating from his mild heart attack earlier this week. Bush visited Cheney at his home Thursday, marking the first time the two men had seen each other since last year's inauguration. In his speech, Bush said Cheney was feeling well.

Mr. Bush also told the crowd he did want to be seen on television right now as entering the political fray.

"I don't want to be a panel of formers instructing the currents on what to do," Bush told the crowd, according to the source. "I'm trying to regain a sense of anonymity. I didn't like it when a certain former president - and it wasn't 41 or 42 - made my life miserable."

1. c spurgeon

Ugh..Go home to Texas..Only cheney is worse than you.

February 26, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  2. mark

The DEVIL will be in EVERY detail. LITERALLY.

February 26, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  3. Dale

He started a three trillion dollar unnecessary war that killed a quarter million people, ruined the US's standing in the world and distracted us from fighting the real war in Af-Pak. But at least he has a sense of humor and he can poke fun at himself.

Where have all the intelligent Republicans gone? Well, I for one am an intelligent ex-Republican that now calls myself an independent.

February 26, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  4. sensible Cape Coral FL

Will it come with crayons?

February 26, 2010 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  5. The lonely Libertarian of Liverpool NY

Don't you just miss the big dummy? NOT !

February 26, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  6. Mark L.

WOW !! I am really impressed !! Do you mean to tell me our former President George W. Bush can actually read ?? And write a book ?? Oh my...Now, I really have something to look forward too. Oh Please Mr. Former President, PLEASE tell us what the name of your book is going to be. No...wait just a second... Okay, nevermind...I just found out this information from a credible source... Former President G. W. Bush's NEW Book is going to be entitled: "See George & Dick Run....Run, Run, Run...Play, Play, Play...."...LOL..TOO FUNNY...{:o)

February 26, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  7. MikeH

Bush's book readability will depend on how good Bush is at drawing stick figures.

February 26, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  8. Bob

Poor George, I am fairly sure he will not admit the truth about starting the Iraq war. After all it was Sadam who tried to kill daddy Bush. Then I hope he explains his tax cut with two wars , without funding any of his mess. Oh yeh maybe he will explain why the world started hating Americans.. The title should be( My Way by the Crown Prince of America) Little George Bush

February 26, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  9. Mark L.

If I may, Mr. Former President, I would like to suggest another title for your NEW Book. It should be entitled, "The Man Who Inspired Me to Becoming the 43rd President of the USA – Herbert Hoover (and the Great Depression)"...LOL...{:o)

February 26, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  10. sonny chapman

I hope he doesn't forget to include his scorched earth political tutelage under Lee Atwater & Karl Rove in explaining his M.O.

February 26, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  11. Andy

Wish we had you back and NObama/dumocraps gone.

February 26, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  12. How To Tell A Dem Is Lying-Lips Are Moving

Bush 5.7 % unemployment 15,000 Dow Jones Housing Booming Jobs so plentiful we had Mexicans crossing THEN THE DUMOCRATS,all went to H*** and has never recovered.

February 26, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  13. WBN

President Bush is a fine man and very much the gentleman. I didn't always agree with his decisions, but he made them with many gifted advisors around (especially with respect to military decisions). It will be fascinating to read of all the behind-the-scenes details with respect to decisions following 9/11, surrounding the Iraqi invasion, and the furor over so-called "torture." Bush stood strong and always took full responsibility for his decisions. May God bless and keep him!

February 26, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  14. How To Bankrupt the Nation-Put A Dem On It

Stock Market hit an all time high with Bush-Hispanics coming to work in US because of plentiful jobs – housing was an all time high THEN the DEMOCRATS and has never been back to the glory days of BUSH. Need I say more?

February 26, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  15. dsmith77

I wonder who he was referring to. If it wasn't 41 or 42 that doesn't leave many choices – Reagan (40), Carter (39) ... were Nixon and Ford still alive during 43's presidency?

It's a short list.

February 26, 2010 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  16. LouAz

He really can't read, or write. His wife or Darth Vader read everything to him. He has just lately realized he has Ranch in Tejas that does not have any cows or horses. Eeee Haw !

February 26, 2010 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  17. Aunt Bea and Opie

If Sarah can do it anyone can,just dont call it "My Pet Cheney'.

February 26, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  18. Not Your Amigo

So why does he want his speech comments to be kept so secretive?

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt of having read a book- Curious George probably wasn't all that hard. But to "write a book"- HA!! Wonder who his ghost writer is?

February 26, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  19. shucks

Yeah, it was called a dictatorship. Didn't he accomplish sooooo much in 8 years. It should be a very short read, except for the explanations of why we went to war in Iraq instead of Afghanistan or Pakistan, how much the tax cuts helped the economy, how deregulation on Wall Street was a good thing for the economy, and how when he left office the country was so far in the crapper. I know the explanations to these, but it will, I"m sure, be much more enlightening hearing is from the dingleberries mouth.

February 26, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  20. hongli

George W Bush should be writing the book from the JAIL-HOUSE. Bush and Cheney were the two most distructive elements during 2000–2008 and the Americans are still feeling the sting bites.

February 26, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  21. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Before a book, how about an apology to our Military and the American people for the BIG WMD LIES.

February 26, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  22. BobH

Fittingly, he misused the figure of speech. He should have said "Many people don't believe I can read a book, much less write one." Unless he thinks reading a book is considerably more difficult than writing one...

His inability to master his native tongue is extraordinary.

February 26, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  23. democratic party

george,

how come you made it snow so much this winter and why oh why did you do that thing in haiti and why george did you make that killer whale kill its trainer why why why why

you are to blame you you you you are to blame for everything because of you we lost ded kenneys seat
    how dare you make jokes when you have done all of this why did you want americans to work for a living when it is clear they want to be ruled and taken care of by the government why why why after all the hurricanes and earth quakes and even miscarriages you have caused oh yea and you didnt tell rangle he had to pay for his own trip and now you have him in trouble
    SHAME ON YOU
    TELL THE MRS HELLO FROM US

February 26, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  24. victim of democrat hypocrisy

Best President since Reagan, and all the hateful history revisionists won't change that.

February 26, 2010 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  25. Sgt. USMC

Too bad lucifer wasn't ready for cheney yet.

Bush, how about you apologize about your catastrophic decisions and actions taken during your term. The ones that led to thousands of US military members being killed. Their blood is on your hands. That's no JOKE.

February 26, 2010 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |