February 26th, 2010

Bush jokes about writing book in reunion event

President George W. Bush was back in Washington on Friday.
President George W. Bush was back in Washington on Friday.

Washington (CNN) – Former President George W. Bush appeared relaxed as he talk about his post-presidency life, according to one participant at Friday's kickoff breakfast for the Bush Cheney Alumni Association at a Washington hotel.

In his speech to several hundred people who served in his administration, he also talked about writing his book, due out later this year, and in the process poked fun at himself.

"This is going to come as quite a shock to people up here that I can write a book, much less read one," Bush joked, the one participant told CNN, confirming a quote first reported by Politico. The participant refused to discuss his comments in any more depth since it was a closed press event, and Mr. Bush asked for his remarks not to be leaked.

Bush's spokesman refused to comment on the event.

The former president previously told the Los Angeles Times his aim for the book was to help "people to understand the environment in which I was making decisions ... I want people to get a sense of how decisions were made, and I want people to see the options that were placed before me."

Originally, former Vice President Dick Cheney was also supposed to appear at the Friday event, but canceled because he is still recuperating from his mild heart attack earlier this week. Bush visited Cheney at his home Thursday, marking the first time the two men had seen each other since last year's inauguration. In his speech, Bush said Cheney was feeling well.

Mr. Bush also told the crowd he did want to be seen on television right now as entering the political fray.

"I don't want to be a panel of formers instructing the currents on what to do," Bush told the crowd, according to the source. "I'm trying to regain a sense of anonymity. I didn't like it when a certain former president - and it wasn't 41 or 42 - made my life miserable."

1. me

glad i was a young beautiful girl a long time ago when people seem to care. you media are killing people with all your over blown crap.obama semms to want to help america but the repub. and the wealthy companies won't let him. if i and husband went to the drs.and took all the pill he tried to push on us we'd be homeless and broke. so i won't go to one and he won't we are both 72 and will expire ourselves we we fell like it. i hate this foul, godless, coptcat, racist, greedy ,pill pushing society. i tried suicide so to me its going to a better place. i only will miss my sons and grand childred as i hate my husband for letting a married bisexual seduce him harriet boudreau worked for at&t and used her car in their back lot for years. they knew it and made sure i found out thats when she went after a woman, leaving her husband and 3 kids maybe it was years ago,but i hold a grudge. thats when i knew how rotten this world really is. so befor i leave i will eamila all media about this bisexual home wrecker

February 26, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  2. ED

He looks more relaxed after leaving the hot seat but I think he can read & write but what about Hong Kong? What was that about?

February 26, 2010 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  3. SD Kevin

I'm still convinced this man was an awful president, but I definitely admire his ability to step back and let the current President – and probably presidents who follow him – do their jobs without overly harsh criticism or over-involvement in their affairs. It's a good political tradition for former presidents and vice-presidents to step back when they're done serving and offer advice only when asked for it.

I never thought I'd say this, but I applaud your maturity in this matter Mr. Bush.

February 26, 2010 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

"I don't want to be a panel of formers instructing the currents on what to do"

I guess dick didn;t get the message George. Try reiterating that to that cold hearted S.O.B.

February 26, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  5. Jim

Oh God the village idiot is out of the closet and speaking. I don't know what about as it wouldn't make any sense anyway. Do us all a favor you and your clan reimburse the government for all of the wasteful spending you did during the eight years in office then come out of the closet Jim Hall Kansas City Missouri.

February 26, 2010 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  6. malia

Thank you again, President Bush, for keeping America safe!

I guess Karma is a 'you know what' because exactly what the liberals did to discredit you, BO in return is [and] will continue to receive the same treatment from the opposition.

February 26, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  7. harvey

I ant people to get a sense of how decisions were made.

Dick Cheney says: Do This.
    And I did it.

February 26, 2010 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  8. TCM

wow...I wonder how many liberal haters are foaming at the mouth about now..."Miss me yet?" That billboard was a classic!

Obama makes Bush look like "All the right moves," liberal whiney Bush haters have ushered in the most incompetent president in this country's history....as retaliation for their hatred of Bush...now we're all paying due to the stupidity of liberals.

February 26, 2010 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  9. Betty

Bush was a joke for 8 years in office, and still is. Unfortunately, the joke's on US, as in the U.S.

February 26, 2010 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  10. dave

While Mr. Bush was President, there were no terrorists attacks on US soil - except for 9/11.

Mr. Bush had no warning of the possiblity of an al quaeda attack - except a CIA memo entitled "Osamab Bin Laden" determined to attack in the US"

After 9/11, Mr. Bush went after all the evil doers - except the one that caused 9/11 Osama Bin Laden

Mr. Bush started a war against a country that had no part in 9/11 and was no threat to the US.

Osama Bin Laden is responsible for the deaths of 3000+ innocent American citizens.

Mr. Bush is responsible for the deaths of 4000+ American troops and tens of thousands of innocent civilians in Iraq.

February 26, 2010 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  11. mike

It would be great to have Bush on TV to remind people who screwed up the economy this would be a real boost for the republican party as the
    party of idiots

February 26, 2010 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. jerseylou

White Collar crime just keeps getting away with any thing these days, all you have to be is former president.

February 26, 2010 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  13. Justin

Cant wait to read this book, Look I've never seen Fmr Pres.Bush as a horrible person, he ran this country in the toilet. So I wanna know how he actually did it behind doors.

February 26, 2010 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  14. Tom in Delaware

February 26, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  15. Four and The Door

I look forward to former President Bush's book. I miss the leadership and management expertise he brought to the federal government. He made difficult decisions when they needed to be made, he followed through on things he said he would get done, he didn't point fingers when things were difficult, he didn't allow other nations to decide our foreign policy and he didn't allow special interests to decide our domestic policy.

February 26, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  16. get real

We barely survived your presidency, and we have no desire to read about it. Go away and stay away. Take your wife and that horrible vice president of yours with you.

February 26, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  17. Pat

The last two paragraphs seem to be contradictory. I believe if President Bush DID want to be seen on television right now as entering the political fray, he would probably be showing up more. I think he has too much class for that, (unlike President Carter).

February 26, 2010 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  18. A keen observer

Does anyone think former President Bush will tell the truth about Dick Cheney?

February 26, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  19. Monster Zero

Hey, here's an idea liberals, Fmr President George W. Bush can write it and President Barrack Obama can color it, it could be called My Pet Goat Herder. Of course the crayons will be manufactured and supplied by China.

February 26, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  20. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Bush jokes about writing book in reunion event
    -------------------------------–

Well, duh, you have to learn how to write to do that right?

February 26, 2010 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  21. ghmcpc

Hey Shucks,

What specific deregulation on Wall Street are you talking about that occured during Bush's presidency?

"how deregulation on Wall Street was a good thing for the economy,"

February 26, 2010 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  22. ted

George Bush couldn't write a book if his life depended upon it. The man has a very low IQ. He might be able to handle a coloring book though.

February 26, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  23. Greg

He didn't want his remarks to be made public...While he still thinks he's President, what does he have to hide now? Also Pat, Bush does not have any class what so ever.

February 26, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  24. Randolph Carter, I'm no expert but....

"If the Obama administration had to endure just one week of the criticism and ridicule that the MSM directed at George W. Bush we'd see Obama cry on national TV."

If the Obama administration lied in order to start a war for oil, shredded the constitution and destroyed the economy, they would deserve it. Have a nice weekend!

P.S. Ayn Rand was an idiot

February 26, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  25. aproudmemberoftheunpatrioticmob

How nice of CNN to provide something for the libertard to spew their evil venom on since the Health Care Dog & Pony Show that Obozo put on yesterday showed that he is a corrupt, intolerant, partisan crook and Pelosi supporting Rangel after his admonishment shows how morally bankrupt the liberals really are. LIberals need something like a Bush or Palin story to show their true ignorance.

February 26, 2010 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |