February 26th, 2010

Bush jokes about writing book in reunion event

President George W. Bush was back in Washington on Friday.
President George W. Bush was back in Washington on Friday.

Washington (CNN) – Former President George W. Bush appeared relaxed as he talk about his post-presidency life, according to one participant at Friday's kickoff breakfast for the Bush Cheney Alumni Association at a Washington hotel.

In his speech to several hundred people who served in his administration, he also talked about writing his book, due out later this year, and in the process poked fun at himself.

"This is going to come as quite a shock to people up here that I can write a book, much less read one," Bush joked, the one participant told CNN, confirming a quote first reported by Politico. The participant refused to discuss his comments in any more depth since it was a closed press event, and Mr. Bush asked for his remarks not to be leaked.

Bush's spokesman refused to comment on the event.

The former president previously told the Los Angeles Times his aim for the book was to help "people to understand the environment in which I was making decisions ... I want people to get a sense of how decisions were made, and I want people to see the options that were placed before me."

Originally, former Vice President Dick Cheney was also supposed to appear at the Friday event, but canceled because he is still recuperating from his mild heart attack earlier this week. Bush visited Cheney at his home Thursday, marking the first time the two men had seen each other since last year's inauguration. In his speech, Bush said Cheney was feeling well.

Mr. Bush also told the crowd he did want to be seen on television right now as entering the political fray.

"I don't want to be a panel of formers instructing the currents on what to do," Bush told the crowd, according to the source. "I'm trying to regain a sense of anonymity. I didn't like it when a certain former president - and it wasn't 41 or 42 - made my life miserable."

1. carl

get lives... people!

February 26, 2010 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  2. John in WV

Maybe he'll explain in his book why it's ok to use reconciliation if you are a repub but not if you are a dem.

February 26, 2010 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  3. vet in TX

Denial is the first step to recovery:

@ Four and the door:

I look forward to former President Bush's book.
    I miss the leadership and management expertise he brought to the federal government. – How he managed the capture of bin Laden, the invading of Iraq because "they bought yellow cake uranium
    He made difficult decisions when they needed to be made, he followed through on things he said he would get done, he didn't point fingers when things were difficult, he didn't allow other nations to decide our foreign policy and he didn't allow special interests to decide our domestic policy. – Special interests like the oil companies, haliburton, etc. or the attempt to privatize SSI, or "your doing a good job Brownie" and not to forget the mission accomplished fiasco, just to name a few, had he been working after inaguation instead of "cutting brush"..........yeah the truth hurts doesn't it?

February 26, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  4. Jack

I'd love to see George Bush write a book gloating about how he made the rich people richer.

February 26, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  5. Jeanne H.

I'm sure he had very hard decisions to make. Lying to the american people and manufacturing false evidence to invade a country and cause the death of tens of thousands of people was a VERY difficult decision. But Somebody has gotta do it.

February 26, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  6. Sniffit

No teleprompter or notes on hands for this goon....he cries like a two year old if you give him anything but crayons and a napkin.

February 26, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  7. Objective Thinking

Dominican mama 4 Obama (February 26th, 2010 4:35 pm ET)

"Bush jokes about writing book in reunion event
    -----------–

Well, duh, you have to learn how to write to do that right?"

My response: Bush already made that joke, and here you are repeating it. You didn't even read the article.

February 26, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  8. Objective Thinking

Mark L. February 26th, 2010 2:47 pm ET

WOW !! I am really impressed !! Do you mean to tell me our former President George W. Bush can actually read ?? And write a book ?? Oh my...Now, I really have something to look forward too. Oh Please Mr. Former President, PLEASE tell us what the name of your book is going to be. No...wait just a second... Okay, nevermind...I just found out this information from a credible source... Former President G. W. Bush's NEW Book is going to be entitled: "See George & Dick Run....Run, Run, Run...Play, Play, Play...."...LOL..TOO FUNNY...{:o)

-------–

Bush already made that joke about being able to read and write. You obviously did not read the article.

February 26, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  9. Sniffit

"If the Obama administration had to endure just one week of the criticism and ridicule that the MSM directed at George W. Bush we'd see Obama cry on national TV."

I'll say it because someone has to: Bush never ever endured the kind of nonsense the Obama administration is enduring. Dems weren't running around fabricating lies like "death panels" etc. They were angry because Bush and Cheney showed massive disrespect for the truth in favor of expediance, stepped all over the Constitution with claims of executive privilege and programs like the wiretapping and destroyed our clout with foreign countries by violating basic human rights standards with torture, extraordinary rendition and Gitmo. "Death panels" was a blatant lie but everyone believed it, unlike the very few liberal fringers who actually believe Bush had a hand in 9/11. Moreover, the GOP felt free to use reconciliation, spend all it wanted, while borrowing and cutting taxes, ignoring wall street's gambling, etc., under Bush and the Dems showed suprisingly little spine in stopping it. Now though, the GOP has gone way beyond the pale, doing everything it can to bring government to a screeching halt because they're afraid of Obama having any success and what it might do to their chances of regaining power in 2010 or 2012.

February 26, 2010 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  10. Tom

George was a nice guy. I'm just glad Dick did not let him play with the big buttons.

February 26, 2010 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  11. dave

Bin Laden killed 3000 Americans for no good reason

Bush killed 4000 Americans for no good reason

who is worse

February 26, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  12. An American

Four and The Door February 26th, 2010 4:07 pm ET

I look forward to former President Bush's book. I miss the leadership and management expertise he brought to the federal government. He made difficult decisions when they needed to be made, he followed through on things he said he would get done, he didn't point fingers when things were difficult, he didn't allow other nations to decide our foreign policy and he didn't allow special interests to decide our domestic policy.
    -----------
    Specifically in regards to the "pointing fingers" statement: For the first couple of years of this first term, all I ever heard was "Clinton this and Clinton that". Seems like he pointed fingers to me.

February 26, 2010 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  13. FactCheck

You have to hand it to the wing-nuts, their stupidity runs deep. Educated people would have thrown this man in jail but the wing-nuts will line up at the book signing... cause Fox News told them to do so.

February 26, 2010 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  14. Rob Johnson

Bush writing a book? Now that's what I call a joke! Who knew W was such a comedian?

Stop it, man, you're killing me! ;)

February 26, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  15. Scottyrw

Even when he is out of office he is still is having "closed press events"
    what a clown! This guy must need an army of security to go from place to place to give talks ...... alot of people would like throw shoes or something at him for tearing apart the USA in the eight years of office.
    As far as writting a book ... I heard that it was taken off of the great novel ... "My Pet Goat"!

February 26, 2010 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  16. Joe-Wilmington, DE

I heard it's going to be a pop-up book available in the childrens section of fine bookstores everywhere.

February 26, 2010 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  17. Gop

An American what you heard about Clinton this or Clinton that was not out of the mouth of president Bush.

it was from People in his administration but not from Bush.

President Bush is and was a better person then Obama and Clinton.

When Clinton left the White House he had the letter “W” taken off all keyboards you recall.

When Bush left, he gave Obama words of encouragement and I wish you the best.

As soon as Obama takes office, he cannot stop blaming Bush enough.

Bush is a man of courage, honor and moral character. Things you do not have in Obama and Clinton.

February 26, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  18. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Objective Thinking

You're right! I did not! I'm busted, my bad totally!

February 26, 2010 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  19. Mike in NJ

Erm, yet another 'Bushism.' Reverse the order, Mr. Bush ("... that I can READ a book, much less WRITE one..."), otherwise, it makes little sense.

If anyone gets real details about his honest thinking about the controversial policies of his Presidency, I'll be utterly shocked. My bet is that he will say what the Neo-Conservative wing of the party wants to hear. All patriotism and chest thumping, and no real information.

Much like Palin, he can say anything at all, and as long as he follows it with, "AND I LOVE AMERICA!" the sheep will follow.

February 26, 2010 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  20. Clint, Wa.

Sarah did it, why can't I?

February 26, 2010 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  21. jules sand-perkins

Rich people do not get richer because a President of the United States makes them richer.
    They get richer by doing the same things that made them rich in the first place.
    It is the same with the poor.

February 26, 2010 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  22. duckunder

I thank God Bush is gone. Despite some completely irrational thoughts expressed by the right wingers, Bush will go down as one of the worst presidents ever. EVER!

February 26, 2010 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  23. dick delson

the blind leading the blind. he is easily the worst President in the last 75 years. and Dick Chaney should be brought up on conspiracy charges.

February 26, 2010 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  24. Kate

I will not even think about reading it. It will be along with Palin's book, in the comic aisle.

February 26, 2010 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  25. Ted D

Even his quip is inelegantly stated. He should have reversed the order and said, "This is going to come as quite a shock to people up here that I can read a book, much less write one." You never were the brightest bulb on Broadway, Georgie.

February 26, 2010 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |