February 26th, 2010

Crist: Independent run 'not going to happen'

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist is dismissing a rumor that he will run as an independent.

(CNN) - Florida Gov. Charlie Crist is dismissing a rumor that he will abandon the Republican Senate primary and run as an Independent.

A conservative online columnist for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel floated the claim on Thursday, setting off a flurry of Internet speculation that Crist might bolt from his party to avoid losing to Marco Rubio in the primary. But Crist said Thursday it's not true.

"It's not going to happen," Crist said at an event in Broward County, according to the St. Petersburg Times.

Crist also kept up his offensive against Rubio, who is back-pedaling this week after revelations that he made personal charges on his Republican Party of Florida credit card. The governor brushed off Rubio's claim that Crist allies leaked the credit card information to newspapers.

"He is the one who made these charges, not me, not any of my friends," Crist said, according to the Times. "I mean, you know, when you do something like that you ought to just take personal responsibility."

"The people will decide this issue," he said. "I think it's pretty clear that they don't like that kind of double dipping. It's just like taxpayers' money. You ought to treat those funds in a vey sacred way."

He added: "Like I said yesterday, welcome to the NFL. If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen."

Filed under: 2010 • Charlie Crist • Florida
  1. EBC

YOUR party is turning on you Charlie. WAKE UP!

You are NO Sarah Palin "wink-wink".

Republicans are ALL sharpening their blades and pointing them at YOU buddy.

Ever heard the song "Back Stabbers" by the O'Jays? I suggest you check it out on ITunes.

February 26, 2010 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  2. Brandon

I would choose Crist over Rubio anyday of the week. Rubio being supported by the Tea Party is an instant relation to the "crazy" party of your family.

February 26, 2010 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  3. Heather from Beautiful Seattle

I think it is really unfortunate when politicians tout financial responsibility and then abuse funds by expensing lavish dinners and gifts for themselves. It's that mentality of feeling that the rules are laid down for everyone except for them. I don't think this is stictly a republican or democrat issue as members of both parties have been guilty of it. Crist seems like one of the better politicians who concentrates on real solutions not just babbling on about tea party talking points that will not work in our country. The same goes for McCain in Arizona.

February 26, 2010 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  4. Elliott Carlin

I know its not fair, but that picture of Crist makes it look like he's got skeletons in his closet.

February 26, 2010 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  5. Patty

Charlie Crist is a cunning self-serving rino who will stop at nothing, and I mean nothing, to get where he thinks is his rightful place in the political arena!
    I have watched this cunning individual for about 20 yrs and he proclaims to be pro-life when everyone knows he is just the opposite! Unless, he has had an epifany overnight! This individual and Obama are two of a kind and wouldn't know the truth if it hit them in the face!
    Oh, how many times during the time he has been running for office has he found "ms right" only to hear no more about the woman after the elections! He married the last one because he was so desperate to get to where-ever his next place will be! Anyone hear or see her standing with him these days? I wonder if she shares the Governors Mansion with him! Marriage of convenience in my opinion!
    I believe Jim Greer was a friend and we all know what happened to that devient, thank God! Birds of a feather................

February 26, 2010 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  6. m smith

don't ya just love it. Repo new motto We Eat our Young!!!!

February 26, 2010 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  7. m smith

don't ya just love it. Repo new motto We Eat our own.!!!!

February 26, 2010 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  8. Patty

Charlie Crist is a creature from another planet! I gues most of these comments are coming from the Pelosi socialist commi state of Californicaters! Charlie needs to come and life in your state, he would fit in beautifully out there! We dont want this cunning creep in the State of Florida! He's as stupid as he looks! CNN should love chaingang charlie, he's a flaming liberal always has been! Please encourage him to come and live withyou all in the land of la!la!

Rubio is a saint in comparison to the bunch of crooks and thieves in the legislating State of Californicating!!!

February 26, 2010 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  9. Badger

He should run as a log cabin republican!

February 26, 2010 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  10. FL Voter

Governor Crist should run as an independent. The Republican party has shifted so far to the right these days that I cannot vote for someone who would be beholden to those people.

As an independent, Crist, a reasonable, good, and moderate man, would be free to vote as he chooses and I would strongly consider supporting him.

February 26, 2010 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  11. ED FL

Any good Independent candidate will get me and my families votes[Previously party line Democrats]

February 26, 2010 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  12. LEC

Charlie is a straight shooter. As a Democratic I am not always going to agree with him, but I respect his integrity. If he runs as a independent he has my vote and I bet a lot of other Democrats too.

February 26, 2010 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  13. gspot

I would love it if he ran as an I , G, or other . I've had it with the Dems and the Reps with all there lies and retoric that go's with them . we need common sense people that are smart, and reliable enough to do the right thing, our Gov. and its special interest crap has sold us all out, wake up folks!!!

February 26, 2010 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |