February 26th, 2010

Laura Bush to deliver speech in Michigan

Former First Lady Laura Bush will give a paid speech in Michigan in March.
Former First Lady Laura Bush will give a paid speech in Michigan in March.

(CNN) – Laura Bush will deliver a paid speech to the Economic Club of Southwestern Michigan in March, one of select few public appearances the former first lady has made since departing the White House last January.

Her March 16 visit to Benton Harbor, Michigan, a town on Lake Michigan, comes roughly a year after her husband addressed the same group and offered a defense of his administration's use of harsh interrogations tactics.

Laura Bush's remarks aren't likely to be as politically-tinged: The group is promoting the speech by highlighting her record on early childhood development and women's issues.

Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin will also address the Economic Club in May. Palin and the Bushes are clients of the Washington Speakers Bureau.

Filed under: Laura Bush
  1. Wake Up

You obamabots are insane. The vitriol of talking about about Laura is ridiculous. Bush started Head Start...you know so poor kids (democrats) can go to school at age 3, because their parents are too lazy to teach their own kids. Quit sponging off society!!

February 26, 2010 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  2. Wake Up

BTW Obama admitted doing coke in his book!!! I know liberals only read basement bloggers...but it is in his book. Liberals, it's scary how ignorant you are. I would first, read the constitution.!!!!!!!!!!1

February 26, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  3. Marie MD

She knows about economics as much as her husband and mcnasty do. Too bad it's too late for early childhood development to the almost beauty queen of "the great State of Alaska".
    Then again, the other speaker is the biggest dumbo in the history of the world (except she is making money).
    What is she going to talk about – how the dude had to pull out of one of those ice races mcnasty is always talking about when they ask him about her.

February 26, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  4. Wanda

Laura Bush was and is a true LADY. She is the finest "First Lady" our country has ever had. I didn't agree with some of the decisions her husband made but she was and is a true LADY.

February 26, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  5. jules sand-perkins

Mrs. Bush served as a beautiful, charming, and gracious First Lady who is very much missed.
    How much does she know about economics?
    I think you are about to be surprised. She was a fine educator, and we know that she can form better possessive and plural nouns than we see written by her jealous and petty detractors in this forum.

February 26, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  6. MonasteryMonkey

Really, someone would pay her to give a speech? What does she have to say that has any relevance? She didn't have anything meaningful to say when she was first lady so what can she possibly say now?

Stay in Texas and keep a close eye on Georgie, he needs constant supervision.

February 26, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

wake up said "-–You are a typical liberal who just wants to sponge off the successful. I'm sick of supporting the lazy and unwilling like you.
    --------------------------------

Sweetie for someone who was asking others not to be so angry, you sound like you're off your meds....AGAIN!

While I'm sitting here at work I am lamenting the fact that I'm supporting your habit with my hard earned tax dollars.

February 26, 2010 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  8. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Laura, go home and take the town idiot of husband with you, please. He looks like he's back in the sauce.

February 26, 2010 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  9. Andrew Mutabeli

Bob of Lompoc – You should be ashamed of yourself. Never insult somebody or name calling if that person has never offended you and your family. I don't find humors in your entry about the First Lady Laura Bush. Laura Bush never said anything negative about Michell Obama or anyone for that matter. Why pick a fight where there's none?

It seems to me that some folks on the left side like to blame other people for their own wrong-doing. Why the liberal and liberal media do this, still remains a ?. I am a good African black conservative of African descent and with good family traditions of respect for other people – I find your attitude and approach so offensive. When I mean offensive, I refer to only you but those other liberal thugs with the same bad characteristic like yours.

I have also noticed that black and white liberals share the same characteristics of practicing name calling and insulting towards those who disagree with them on issues. Yes, I understand the disagreement part – but it does not warrant you to insult them. It shows that you weren't brought up in a good home where morals values supposed to be practiced. This mischief also can be found among our politicians as well. But, they common among with the politicians and their liberal media friends to the left.

I truly believe that American values has been lost to the Liberalism agenda. That's the main reason we are experiencing chaos. That is why our politicians are engaging in weird activities today. On other hand, we have our President who comes from community organizer background and make things even more chaotic for people.

As a African black of African descent – I am ashamed and disappointed in how America is being run by this black president. I still regret why I voted for him – but that is something I cannot change but have live wit it.

The fact of the matter is that – he is a one-term president. It will take a miracle if he is going to win reelection in 2012. There some to the left who are not going vote for him and that number will grow come 2012.

He has to bring himself to the center and run the country from there. Maybe, Maybe, he will stand a chance to be reelected in 2012. He should treat all American equal regardless of party affiliations.

Andrew

February 26, 2010 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  10. Mark

Nice lady and by the way Obama has already doubled the damage in one year that Bush did in 8 years. The difference between liberals and conservatives is we will admit Bush fanned his last four years. Our country is being wrecked by the idiot we have running it now and it is inconceivable he could be worse than Bush but he is almost worse than Carter who was the biggest joke ever as a President.

February 26, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  11. Dominican mama 4 Obama

And in regards to Bush sniffing coke as an adult, come one, take the blinders off the light truly will NOT kill you. Wake up already!

February 26, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  12. vet in TX

amazing, when there was a story about Michele, the extreme from the losing side were joking with racial comments, baby mamma, looks like a monkey, etc., now the shoe is on the other foot and your and your still making racial comments and upset at the other silly comments the left are making as jokes, please look in the mirror, remove the tea-bag from your forehead and ask yourself am I a true conservative or am I racist.......then look at your financial records and if it's NOT close to a at least million in assets.....then you know what you are and your really not a conservative. the tax cuts have done nothing for you, and they never will! Essayons America!

February 26, 2010 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  13. Wake Up

I am angry. We are tripling our debt (and counting). Obama is expanding govt to beyond sustainability. I get angry when I read the left wing bloggers attack and call names of everyone that doesn't agree with them. And yes, I'm tired of financially supporting the lazy and unwilling! From local to state to big fedearl govt. it never ends. The lazy and unwilling keep getting rewarded. I'm sick of it.

February 26, 2010 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  14. Steve (the real one)

Bob of Lompoc February 26th, 2010 3:43 pm ET
    What does she know about economics? Didn't she get in an automobile crash, in which she was driving, and a person was killed, before she was married to Bush II, and nothing happened to her? Another example of the little rich girl getting away with manslaughter
    --------------------–
    2 words for you BOB.....Mary JO!!!!! Or did you forget!?? Once again HYPOCRISY!

February 26, 2010 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  15. Randolph Carter, I'm no expert but....

"....And yes, I'm tired of financially supporting the lazy and unwilling! From local to state to big fedearl govt. it never ends. The lazy and unwilling keep getting rewarded. I'm sick of it"

Yeah, I too wish congress would stop slacking off and get back to work. Less hatin', more Legislatin'! Have a nice day!

February 26, 2010 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@wake up:

It is what it is. Work to change what you consider to be societal inequities, like I do. Otherwise, may I suggest that you take your own advice and "not let it bother you".

February 26, 2010 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  17. Kari

Correction: Bush did not start Head Start. It began in the 1960s. Look it up.

February 26, 2010 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  18. Ron

A fine LADY...a true American.

February 26, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  19. File under "Sarcasm"

I'm note sure which is worse, the liberal left's hatred or their stupidity. I expect most of them have ripped out all the shrubbery around their homes because there called "bushes".

February 26, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  20. Conservatism equals illiterate ignorance

As if anyone wishes to hear from the clown of the Presidency's wife, yeah right, words from the most brain dead woman after Sarah Makup with NO Brains

February 26, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  21. Karen

What a lovely lady!

February 26, 2010 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  22. Angie in PA

Wake up

Seems like you have some mental issuse that needs to be addresed yes t President Obama did admit to drug use in his college years but W, Used drugs and alcohol during his President years big difference my friend. and why do you think all liberals are lazy and dont work? thats kind of ignorant of you dont you think?

February 26, 2010 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  23. Daniel

@Conservatism equals illiterate ignorance, could you please tell me what "Makup" is?

Something about a glass house and stones comes to mind right now. You screen name is a bit funny considering....

February 26, 2010 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  24. Aunt Bea and Opie

shes a very nice person but not too bright in the lifemate dept.

February 26, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  25. Kat

God bless your Mrs. Bush. You were an excellent First Lady. I so wish you were back. The nut we have in the WH now is so far over his head!!!!

February 26, 2010 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |