February 28th, 2010

President's doc: 'excellent' health, cut the cholesterol

President Obama is 'fit for duty,' a Navy physician reported Sunday after Obama's first presidential checkup.

Washington (CNN) - President Obama got a checkup Sunday, and his doctor liked what he found.

"The president is in excellent health and 'fit for duty,'" Dr. Jeff Kuhlman, a Navy captain and physician to the president wrote in his report. "All clinical data indicate that he will remain so for the duration of his presidency."

The doctor did recommend Obama change his eating habits a bit. "Recommend dietary modification to reduce LDL cholesterol below 130," Kuhlman wrote. The report lists Obama's LDL level at 138. LDL, or low-density lipoprotein, is what's known as "bad" cholesterol, according to the American Heart Association.

Kuhlman noted that the 48-year-old president should keep up his efforts to stop smoking. Obama's medications include nicotine replacement therapy.

The 6-foot-1-inch president weighed in at 179.9 pounds with his shoes and workout attire on.

His body mass index (BMI) is 23.7. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, that's in the upper end of the "normal" weight range. "Overweight" begins at 25.0.

The White House said Obama's doctor recommended his next physical take place in August of next year, when the president turns 50.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Harry Kloggs

A cigarette smoker with high cholesterol. I assume his will is up to date.

February 28, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  2. D

A smoking president is not a very good example to the youth of our country. I truly hope he can quit soon.

February 28, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  3. Richard

I quit a pack a day Lucky Strike habit the day I got aut of the Air Force. COLD TURKEY. That was January 12, 1970. Have not touched one since. It can be done.

February 28, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  4. Dennis Beck

As an ex smoker of over 20 years and now being quit for over 10 years, I know that you either quit smoking or you don't. There is no in between. If after a year, he is still using nicotine replacement therapy along with smoking, he is making the situation harder and more impossible to quit, not to mention hurting his health. And at 180 lbs with his clothes and shoes on means he will probably weigh 175 lbs without clothes. That is way too skinny for 6'1". He is skinny because the smoking speeds up his metabolisim. If he works out as much as he says he does, his muscles would be more built and would make him weigh even more.

In my opinion, when we get the presidents health status, what should be said is that the president's doctor should stop smoking. Period. Anything else is useless. He is almost fifty years old and shouldn't be given credit before he does. The effects of his length of time he has been a smoker will affect his health for a long time, long after he is no longer President. His doctor knows this, so to say he is in perfect health is a bunch of BS.

February 28, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  5. kapechi2

If he's 6'1" and weighs 179 with all his clothes and shoes on and comes in with BMI of 23.7 and they say OVERWEIGHT beings at 25, they're all nuts. No wonder they say Americans are overweight. He could be 200 and still look and feel good at that height. BTW if he ever quits smoking, he'll gain 30 pounds in a month. Guaranteed. Happened to me and about everyone I know who did quit.

February 28, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  6. jaime Greer

His is a Democrat and democrats can't cut back on anything to do with healthcare ....even cholesterol. LOL

February 28, 2010 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  7. Adam W.

Way to go Mr. President. It is refreshing to see a president who is "in touch" with America with regard to sports and exercise. I think he leads a good example for kids to stay active, put down the games, and lead a healthy life.

February 28, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  8. Jared

I don't know how I feel about Pres. Obama's health being public knowledge. In any case, he needs to take extra-good care of himself. I mean, stressful work and high cholesterol are a bad mix, and being President ages you. Look at how George W. looked when he was elected, then when he left office.

And I can't believe some of you guys. I'm not crazy about Obama's policies, either, but it takes a messed up person to wish him bad health.

February 28, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  9. Howard

No way does Obama look overweight. I think it must be a medical LAW somewhere that at the end of EVERY physical the doctor has to tell you that you should lose some weight. My doctor looks a little like the PILLSBURY DOUGH boy, but even 2 weeks after I had completed my second marathon, and i was back to my weight in high school, he ended my physical by telling me that I could lose a couple of pounds. Politicians ALL seem to gain weight, look at Clinton, Al Gore (he has to be the worst), Dick Cheney, etc.

February 28, 2010 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  10. Debbie

This is what you would get with government ran healthcare everybody. The government telling you what you can or cannot eat. I don't want that. I want the freedom to choose what I eat. Not Obama telling me.

February 28, 2010 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  11. Independant in Missouri

Too bad the best doctors aren't available to most Americans. Smokers increase health care costs for all of us, Obama, if you want to help health care, quitting smoking is a start. Until then, I suppose you are just raising rates for all of us.

February 28, 2010 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  12. Dan

This is Exhibit A for why the BMI indexes are a bunch of bull feathers, at least as far as men go.

President Obama is a rail at 180 pounds and 6'1". Yet another six pounds or so and he'd be considered overweight. I would consider him overweight at 210 and above.

February 28, 2010 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  13. muurtalo

If tall, lean and muscular Mr. Obama is at the upper end of the "normal" weight range, than Mr. Bush is what, a fat pig? Aren't we all going nuts with all these numbers, indices and blood levels?

February 28, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  14. DC

He still looks good to me!

February 28, 2010 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  15. Justin

Quite smoking dude. Sets a terrible example.

February 28, 2010 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  16. John

My LDL cholesterol is 270 and has been for over 20 years now. I think doctors mislead people.

February 28, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  17. Larry W

Look at the President's picture. His BMI is 23.7 - just a tad shy of being overweight. We should all be that fit.

I wonder if he has gained weight since he assumed office. His shirt-off picture in Hawaii before he took the oath showed him to be in good shape. He probably just needs to drop 10 lbs.

February 28, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  18. jj

You young folks need to get a life!! 180 lbs in not overweight for a 6.1 man. Can't you see how trim he is? And, as far as his smoking I have heard it is a hard habit to kick. But he's working on it. The real problem we have here is he doesn't know how to run a Counttry. So let's worry about that and not his health. o.k,.

February 28, 2010 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  19. seattlekos

Mr Obama and I are the same age (okay, he's about a month older than I). I've got cholesterol problems too, but my doctor said it appears to be both heredity and eating habits. Mr Obama may eat just fine, to keep such a trim figure, but have heredity against him as I do.

When I went back to my doctor after getting insurance again, and had my physical, I told her my cholesterol was going to be rocking. I ate barely any saturated fat, sticking to turkey bacon, string cheese, leanest beef, chicken, tuna, stuff like that... yet my LDL was way higher than it should've been. So don't condemn Mr Obama for having "elevated" LDL, it may not be his fault at all.

As for the smoking issue, it doesn't say he QUIT but has cut back on his smoking. I don't think I'd want a prez going through nicotine withdrawals in charge of the nation.

February 28, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  20. hollando

Most people die an early death because they have bad genes. No smoking but over eating. Take a look around us, 90% weigh more than 100 lbs over their average weight. They can't walk a block without getting tired and panting with wide open mouth.

First, anyone who is 5 lbs over weight should start down serious exercise. Secondly, those 100 lbs or more should stop eating for a month at least.
    Nice to see someone buys a cheese burger and large fries, then wash it down with a diet coke. Go figure!

February 28, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  21. Ronnie A.

I read all the comments. They are really comical. Some said he was in good health, other said he was in bad health. Half talked about his smoking habit (which is very difficult to break–I know). Reminds me of the campaign. Does anybody remember those who said he was "too skinny to be President". And now some are saying he's almost obese???? (Apparently those people are blind.) If Pres. Obama is obese, what about most of the other people around him.

Many of us who are over 48 should be aware that for a man his age, he is in fantastic shape.

Finally for those who are putting him down for his cholesterol,, besides the fact that his is not really that bad, the tendency toward high cholesterol is an inherited trait. Eight points is not that difficult to overcome. Minor changes should do it. (It's a problem in my family, but I decreased mine by 100 points with diet changes.)

February 28, 2010 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  22. Emilie

How many of you all fall below the 25.0 BMI? If he's at the upper end of the normal weight range, I think a lot of people have some work(outs) to do!

February 28, 2010 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  23. james

Dang 6'1" and 179 pounds! That guy is skinny, he needs to eat a sandwich or two. BMI is a load of crap though, What is his body fat percentage? and bone mass? That is a more accurate gauge.

If he would cut the cigarettes the LDL might lower as well. Not too bright.

Dealing with the Republicans probably is making him a 5 pack a day candidate.

February 28, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  24. Hugo

Isn't his cholesterol problem obvious? It is from all that PORK!

February 28, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  25. Bob44

He's 6'1" and weighs 180 pounds!!!!!!! And he"s on "the UPPER END of normal weight range?" Holy crap! I'm 5'11" and 180 pounds. I hate to think what my BMI may be!

February 28, 2010 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |