March 2nd, 2010

Harold Ford's "I"

Harold Ford used the word 'I' 27 times in his op-ed.
Harold Ford used the word 'I' 27 times in his op-ed.

Washington (CNN) – There is, apparently, an "I" in Team Harold.

In his 764 word New York Times op-ed outlining his reasons for not running for the U.S. Senate in New York, former Democratic Rep. Harold Ford, Jr. used the word "I" 27 times. He averaged use of the personal pronoun about once every 28 words.

In that context, he uses the word "I" far more than he mentions "New York" (seven times), "New Yorker" (six times), "constituents" (one time) and "voters" (zero) - combined.

For reference, according to the website wordcount.org, the word "I" is the 11th most commonly used word in the English language.

Filed under: Harold Ford Jr.
  1. Justen in Florida

Hmmm, this could possibly be the worst news story in CNN history.

Anyone ever keep track of how many times Obama says I?

March 2, 2010 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  2. The lonely Libertarian of Liverpool NY

How is this different than any other politician in either party? All they know is their over bloated egos, they have no clue to the struggles of the American citizen. Mr. Ford thought he could move here and take a senate seat away from NYS with ease. No one bought into his grifter game. In fact I'm thinking "We the People" are sick of the scams, con games and grifting from both of the major parties.

March 2, 2010 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  3. Aunt Bea and Opie

As Dick Cheney said everyday to the American People,"SO",we stole the election and now me and my little buddy,George here, are going to do what ever we want,whenever we want to.hahaha

March 2, 2010 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  4. inofritzn

First prize for the most non-story of the day!

March 2, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  5. Randolph Carter, I'm no expert but....

This is groundbreaking journalism, CNN. I smell Pulitzer! Have a nice day!

March 2, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  6. bobby

..this is a perfect reason why CNN is losing to the other cable news...

this is not news.......who cares about "i".......CNN you are destroying yourself

March 2, 2010 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  7. t75mcl1

Why would you report this? Do you folks have editors?

March 2, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  8. jm for sc

This is the most useless article ever printed by CNN. If Harold Ford is not running and his decisions was made on his beliefs, then who else would he be talking about except himself.

If he had decide to run, most of his messages would have been about what he would have done, which would have to be presented by using the pronoun "I".

The word to focus on in politics today is "Ignorance".

How many times ignorance is being used in making decisions as they relates to people's lives?

March 2, 2010 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  9. This is dumb . . .

I have seen some dumb reporting in my life, but this ranks up there with the best of them. Truly a very dumb piece of work. What is the purpose of this "article" – well, there is none.

March 2, 2010 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  10. if I was crazy, I'd be a conservative too

He was trying to describe his reasons for not running, so the focus should have on him, and not on someone else. I think, eventually, Ford will make a positive impact on the great state of New York.

March 2, 2010 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  11. Jeff in Virginia

Amazing. Now that Harold Ford has dropped out, CNN has decided to accurately report on the man's character.

March 2, 2010 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  12. Alan from CA

So what?

March 2, 2010 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  13. Walter

This blurb is simply juvenile. One would have expected an essay explaining a personal decision to use the personal pronoun more often than average. And the statistic regarding word counts simply shows an inability to draw appropriate conclusions from empirical evidence. The ranking of "I" among all words is only helpful if we know the rankings of all the other words he used. A average frequency for "I" rather than an ordinal ranking would be the appropriate statistic to employ.

March 2, 2010 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  14. Sniffit

Are you for real CNN? THIS is "news"? I pooped 3 times yesterday...do I get front page?

March 2, 2010 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  15. Zach K

Sorry Ford. No Carpetbaggers Allowed.

Gillibrand is doing a great job as Senator, and you're only getting in the way.

March 2, 2010 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  16. david, CA

since when did it become journalism to count the number of uses of a certain word in a speech? Oh yeah, since FOX NEWS invented that as a measure of how self-absorbed President Obama apparently is. Nice one CNN!

March 2, 2010 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  17. david, CA

get a talking point memo from the GOP before writing this "news story" CNN?

March 2, 2010 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  18. Wow well expect the same

okay and....................."I" think this is pointless

March 2, 2010 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  19. AlohaSpirit

This is the very definition of trivia. Next you will tell us there is no 'I' in winning. It certainly is not news worthy information. It implies there is some underlying, dastardly selfishness afoot. That's just silliness. C'mon, Abby ! Find something else more meaningful for us to read !
    There was a similar story on Fox about one of President Obama's speeches recently, so the 'bottom' has already been reached once. Why try to 'out-bottom' Fox ?

March 2, 2010 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  20. Richie in Mass

You forgot to mention one of the "I's" he said. " I was bullied by the White House and Schumer not to run". Nice little omission. Don't want to tarnish the Democrats I guess.

March 2, 2010 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  21. Obama Victim

he and The Messiah have a lot in commmon

March 2, 2010 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  22. JA/TN

i will say why is he or this matter news, do we really care, who is Harold Ford Jr, but another self-serving polictican

March 2, 2010 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  23. D.D.

H. Ford madec an excellent decision at this time.

March 2, 2010 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  24. Mike

nobama uses I alot more in a speech than Ford every did. Why does not CNN point that out?

March 2, 2010 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  25. Edwin

Who cares? This is potentially a research topic, but it is not news.

March 2, 2010 11:26 am at 11:26 am |