March 2nd, 2010

Poll: Should Paterson resign?

(CNN) - Two-thirds of New York State voters don't want Gov. David Paterson to resign but most question his ability to govern, according to a new poll.

A Marist College Institute for Public Opinion survey released Tuesday morning indicates that 66 percent of New York State registered voters don't think Paterson should resign in wake of a political scandal that ended his hopes of running this year for a full term in office. Twenty-eight percent of those questioned in the poll say Paterson should step down.

The poll was conducted on Monday, March 1, two days after Paterson announced that he would not run for a full term. His announcement came in the wake of news reports that one of his top aides was involved in a domestic violence incident with a woman and that state police later pressured the woman to keep quiet. Paterson has asked New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, a possible Democratic contender for the governor's office, to investigate the matter. Paterson has suspended the aide accused of domestic violence, David Johnson, without pay.

Paterson Friday denied any wrongdoing, claiming that he has "never abused (the governor's) office, not now, not ever."

Monday Paterson said that he won't resign his office.

"I would think (resignation is) off the table," Paterson said at a question-and-answer session with reporters sponsored by the New York Observer. "In terms of authority of power, I have the power."

The poll was conducted before Tuesday night's report by the New York Times that Paterson contacted the woman, but Paterson denies he tried to get her to change her story or drop the charge against Johnson.

According to the poll, 62 percent say if the governor does not resign, he will not be an effective leader during the remainder of his term, with 34 percent saying Paterson will be able to fulfill his responsibilities as governor during the next ten months.

"When it comes to Governor Paterson resigning from office, New Yorkers are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt," says Dr. Lee M. Miringoff, Director of the Marist College Institute for Public Opinion. "But, regarding his ability to govern effectively, voters have plenty of doubts."

The Marist College survey was conducted by telephone, with 543 New York State registered voters questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

Follow Paul Steinhauser on Twitter: @psteinhausercnn

Filed under: David Paterson
  1. Annie, Atlanta

What I'd like to know is what made this man think he could get away with this type of interference? Who's does he have surrounding him and advising him. They didn't do their jobs.

March 2, 2010 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  2. Independent Lady

No, Sanford in South Carolina didn't resign, Paterson shouldn't either. I still would like to know why Sanford wasn't impeached & arrested like Blago in IL was

March 2, 2010 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  3. Nosey Canadians

No, Dave Patterson should not resign and big beaked Canadians should refrain from trying to influence our politics and mind their own business,including loudmouthed bloggers pretending to be American Conservatives.

March 2, 2010 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  4. CBR

This is a problem for New Yorkers to solve. This is far from a national issue and CNN should not be running this poll.

March 2, 2010 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  5. Who is Out Of Touch

Is there any doubt now that Jim Bunning is a disgrace to the Senate? When was the last time he was out of a job and collecting unemployment so that he can buy food for his family, gas for the family car, rent for the house? NEVER – He is so clueless and why the people of Kentucky keep re-electing him is beyond belief. Recall him, impeach him, just get rid of him.

March 2, 2010 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  6. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I say let him finish the term. There is no reason currently out in the open that changes my mind. Until any substantial charges have been brought and Paterson charged by a grand jury, I say that he should stay. I don't think that the current Lt. Governor would be much better.

March 2, 2010 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  7. BURNS IN NH

OK,as things stand now we have a President,a party in congess
    and a number of elected officials who have lied and continue to
    lie to the american public,those who own this country are those that
    are the sevrvants of the people and they want to bully a minor servant
    to take the peoples minds off of the foul work they are doing to our country. we do not need folks like you any more. The people need
    responsible government not self serving servants. In real life they
    would be fired for a number of reasons. Most would wind in in jail.

March 2, 2010 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  8. Sadie

No he should not resign, he should stay in there and fight for it if he still wants to be the Govenor.......

March 2, 2010 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  9. patNY

Him resigning now would be bad timing as Albany is currently in the budget process...it would make a bad situation worse. The guy is gone by next January, and we should all be practicing saying our next governor's name....Gov. Cuomo...well, that sounded nice!

March 2, 2010 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  10. Anonymous

Embarrassing to defend this poll. Please follow-up with defenders in a week.

March 2, 2010 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  11. j

NO, he should serve out what's left of his term.

March 2, 2010 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  12. Mike Syracuse, NY

Resign? Heck no; those SNL skits are too finny. We need him around for more material.

March 2, 2010 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  13. jules sand-perkins

He should NOT resign.

March 2, 2010 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  14. Dutch/BAd Newz, VA

Should he resign? NO

March 2, 2010 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  15. Donna

The administration couldn't determine a true "emergency" if it slapped them in the face. Is it to much to expect the Dems to actually follow the recent PAYGO rule they passed. PAYGO does not help the American people unless it is actually enforced. I guess PAYGO was just another illusion of fiscal responsibility from this transparent administration.

March 2, 2010 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  16. Marcus Tate

Anybody still wonder they are referred to as the 'PARTY OF NO'? And does anybody think this will not come back to them come November?

March 2, 2010 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  17. SocialismBad

Geez, I don't know what Patterson ever did to tick off the Democrats in his state but them don't seem willing to stop persuing him and putting his head on a stake.

Why ANYBODY would want to be part of a party like this is beyond me...

March 2, 2010 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  18. The lonely Libertarian of Liverpool NY

I have lived in NYS all my life. I tell you has the 1973 recession ever ended here in NYS? NYS has three times the regulation on everything in our lives and along with that regulation comes a hidden tax or fee. Now The Governor will now become useless, but come to think of it when was this not true? I'm nearly 54 years old. I had to work two jobs full time most of my life, along with my wife working a job. We have made available to four of six children into or through college but we are both facing a continued lifetime of working. After the crash of 2008, we re-calculated our retirement ages, mine came back as 82 years old before I could stop working simply based on the projected tax increases required to the NYS. I'm looking for someone else, I'm disappointed in either Lazio or Cuomo. What do they know about life's struggle here in NYS? I do not want a hand out. What I want is the money I earn to stay in my pockets for a change, stop taking my hard earned money to pay for over paid leadership in NYS, that continues to fail the people. Leave my money to me and I'll take care of myself.

March 2, 2010 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  19. Sniffit

Bunning should resign tho. Then he should take a long walk off a short pier.

March 2, 2010 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  20. Nosey Canadians should mind their own business

No,hes a great guy.

March 2, 2010 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  21. Fitz in Texas

He should and take tax cheat Rangel and Geithner with him.

March 2, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  22. Doug,lib jersey

Someone must have "rahmed" a dead fish into his mailbox.

All of the things that mobsters are known for have originated from Democrat politicians. As the facts show, Chicago libs and other socialists from the left wing areas are far more evil than any Soprano type, which by the way always vote Democrat since Democrats allow them to make their living. If you want to stop it vote Republican.

March 2, 2010 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  23. Ray

No one has the right to tell you to resign! Keep to your guns on this GOV!

March 2, 2010 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  24. Tony in Maine

no – but Bunning should

March 2, 2010 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  25. T'SAH from Virginia

Let it be!!! He's NOT resigning and New-Yorkers ARE NOT going to vote for him!!

March 2, 2010 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |