March 3rd, 2010

Palin takes turn as late-night comic

Palin tried her hand as a comedian Tuesday.
Palin tried her hand as a comedian Tuesday.

(CNN) - Forget about her possible White House ambitions. Is Sarah Palin angling for a career slinging jokes on late-night TV?

Appearing on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno on Tuesday, Palin, whom Leno called a "new comedienne from Wasilla, Alaska," tried her hand at delivering a monologue.

You can decide for yourself if Palin should stick to punditry and politics.

Her quips after the jump:

"Alaska is so different from Los Angeles. Here, when people have a frozen look on their face, I find out it's botox."

"It is so warm and beautiful. Back home it was freezing - it was five degrees below Congress' approval rating."

"Shaun White on the show. What an amazing athlete. I watched him do a double McTwist 1260. The only other people to do a double McTwist 1260 was last week, the White House, on health care."

"How about that amazing, closing ceremony. It was beautiful. The minute I saw that giant moose, I remembered I hadn't cooked anything for the kids' dinner."

"I've been really busy. I picked a gig in Las Vegas at the Legends Show, playing Tina Fey."

"The truth is I am glad I am not vice president. I would not know what to do with all that free time."

Palin then sat down for an interview. She talked to Leno about having been caught with notes on the palm of her hand during a recent speech. Dubbing the move a "poor boy's version of the teleprompter," the former Alaska governor said it was a tactic her father had taught her.

The onetime vice presidential nominee also reiterated her belief that the media has unfairly targeted members of her family.

"Yes, a line was crossed," she said. "I'm still waiting for that line to be uncrossed: Just some common decency, allowing the kids to not be, I guess, the victim in all this because they certainly don't deserve it."

Filed under: Jay Leno • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. joann

So sick of Sarah Palin i could literally vomit.

March 3, 2010 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  2. RHONDA

Palin can't hold a thought in her head or speak coherently. She has no place in politics or late night.

March 3, 2010 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  3. Moderate

Too bad those were canned laughs during her stand-up. They sounded the same and some alternated but were the same. My guess is they filmed that early on to have a teleprompter avalible so she could remember her lines.

Lets face it, she's a joke that will never go away

March 3, 2010 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  4. TamarS

Palin is no comedian and did not write those jokes obviously but it's always good to see her being her so we remember not to vote for her. She's an attention seeker, that's all.

March 3, 2010 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  5. mk

Finally, we now see she's just a joke Heaven help us if we'd had
    a VP whose responses were jokes and you "betcha" and "gotcha"
    Sarah stay in show biz the dummies will love you and you'll make
    lots of $$$$$

March 3, 2010 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  6. CF

Anyone who watches Leno deserves to go into their job tomorrow, and be told that someone who already quit wants his job back, so he gets yours and you are fired. That's exactly what Jay did to Conan.
    It's not surprising that a weaselly, manipulative, lying Repugnantcan like Palin is on Team Leno.

March 3, 2010 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  7. idesign

“…all wee-wee’d up.”

LOL!

OH man, I loved it. I think she did very well. I think even Leno had a good time.

March 3, 2010 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  8. Roxanne

she was an idiot then, she's still an idiot...hasn't her 15 minutes expired?????

March 3, 2010 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  9. Wisconsonite - End the Anti-Trust Exemption for Insurance Companies!

"The truth is I am glad I am not vice president"

Yeah. We're glad you're not Vice President too.

"allowing the kids to not be, I guess, the victim in all this because they certainly don't deserve it."

Yeah. Here's a clue: If you don't want your kids to be in the limelight, stop putting them there.

March 3, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  10. Jeffc6578

If she doesn't like people making jokes about her kids, she needs to quit using them as props.
    What a piece of work.

March 3, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  11. I'llaskya

Well, hopefully this helps her decide what she wants to be when she grows up.

March 3, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  12. Doug

Two acts who jumped the shark months ago – Sarah Plain and Jay Leno. We are tired of seeing them and to top it off, neither one of them is funny.

March 3, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  13. John

She learned how to use hand written Crib notes, from her father...the teacher...??? Anyone who believes that Sarah Palin is the ideal next leader of this country, some one destined to be the most powerful person in the free world, who believes that what this country really needs is another D+ student, mental midget, you keep right on drinking THAT Kool-Aid and get your fiddles ready cause Rome is Gonna Burn!

March 3, 2010 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  14. Norm

Hey wait, that's not Palin, it's Tina Fey! Seriously, is this person schizophrenic or something? She's a comdeian, a hunter, a mom, a failed vice presidential candiate, leader of "real Americans", a quitter, a former governor, spokesperson for the NRA, the Tea Party, the ultra-right wingers. Ahhhh, please go away!!!! Norm from New Mexico.

March 3, 2010 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  15. Dan In Noo Yawk

Okay, so she's funny. She's a laughingstock. It'll be less funny when her desires start resulting in more useless American deaths in Iraq or Iran or wherever she wants to invade next on whatever thin pretext.

March 3, 2010 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  16. barb

She said she could do more for the country by resigning as Alaska's governor. So she's written a book, works for Fox, makes appearances for $, and now tries to be funny. Americans are so lucky to have someone working so hard for us!! LOL I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chaulkboard!!!

Jay is really pushing the panic button.

March 3, 2010 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  17. David

This lady is playing the country like a fiddle and cashing in. It is obvious by now that McCain incompetently picked an unqualified person as his VP. She is now making as much money for her and her family as she can. Its that simple. All the rest is a sideshow with subplots. She owes John McCain, and Tina Fey big time for giving her so much more exposure. All the Dems who say how dumb she is just give her more exposure. She is exploiting our balloon boy culture for an audience that is fascinated by soap opera drama. Letterman helped, Levi helped, Rahm helped, Game Change helped, Andy Young helped, Fox News helpes, Leno helped. Its about three words, dough re me

March 3, 2010 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  18. Arlene Johnston

Clearly the reporter didn't watch the show. Sarah sat with Jay, had a nice chat with him, then was asked to do the standup routine. The article had it backwards. She did okay with the comedy, I've seen worse.

March 3, 2010 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  19. sri

Sarah Palin is probably having a tough time making sufficient income to lead her family. This is how she makes money. Lets let her do her thing and not take her seriously anymore.

March 3, 2010 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  20. Harold

Sarah was right in that children have now become the victims of Hollywood's anger.

March 3, 2010 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  21. Ruth

All her comments are typical of Palin. Making fun of the Democrats. But don't you dare make fun of her or her family. This broad is a first class hipocrit. Nothing between the ears. Shame on you Jay for having her on your show. I thought you had more class. I think Dave has a new viewer.

March 3, 2010 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  22. John T

I watched Palin last night, and politics aside, it was really bad. I cringed a couple of times. Otherwise, in her interview she did better then I've seen her before. She's either getting better at being interviewed or her handlers have really reigned her in.

She still a light-weight, but she's cute. I'd vote for her to be on Fox and Friends... not so much national office.

March 3, 2010 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  23. lmaof

What was that? Oh, I didn't watch the show.

March 3, 2010 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  24. gino

As always, please go away and don't come back.

March 3, 2010 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  25. S.C.C.

Sarah Palin is pathetic

I really, really dislike her

March 3, 2010 11:09 am at 11:09 am |