March 3rd, 2010

Palin takes turn as late-night comic

Palin tried her hand as a comedian Tuesday.
Palin tried her hand as a comedian Tuesday.

(CNN) - Forget about her possible White House ambitions. Is Sarah Palin angling for a career slinging jokes on late-night TV?

Appearing on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno on Tuesday, Palin, whom Leno called a "new comedienne from Wasilla, Alaska," tried her hand at delivering a monologue.

You can decide for yourself if Palin should stick to punditry and politics.

Her quips after the jump:

"Alaska is so different from Los Angeles. Here, when people have a frozen look on their face, I find out it's botox."

"It is so warm and beautiful. Back home it was freezing - it was five degrees below Congress' approval rating."

"Shaun White on the show. What an amazing athlete. I watched him do a double McTwist 1260. The only other people to do a double McTwist 1260 was last week, the White House, on health care."

"How about that amazing, closing ceremony. It was beautiful. The minute I saw that giant moose, I remembered I hadn't cooked anything for the kids' dinner."

"I've been really busy. I picked a gig in Las Vegas at the Legends Show, playing Tina Fey."

"The truth is I am glad I am not vice president. I would not know what to do with all that free time."

Palin then sat down for an interview. She talked to Leno about having been caught with notes on the palm of her hand during a recent speech. Dubbing the move a "poor boy's version of the teleprompter," the former Alaska governor said it was a tactic her father had taught her.

The onetime vice presidential nominee also reiterated her belief that the media has unfairly targeted members of her family.

"Yes, a line was crossed," she said. "I'm still waiting for that line to be uncrossed: Just some common decency, allowing the kids to not be, I guess, the victim in all this because they certainly don't deserve it."

Filed under: Jay Leno • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. wcf

Sarah used her infant son as a political prop during her convention speech when she was nominated for VP. There was no reason for a child that young to be in the convention hall, because he was too young to have any understanding of what was going on. Piper's presence was perfectly reasonable. But to take the infant into the convention hall, and have the cameras repeatedly cut to him, amounted to nothing more than exploiting him as a political prop. So now she's upset with the consequences of that., Too bad.

March 3, 2010 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  2. precious

Keep them guessing Sarah!

March 3, 2010 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  3. People's Voice

She very funny all right.

Makes me want to go in front of a Death Panel.

March 3, 2010 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  4. Brian

Politically not a fan of Palin, but she was great on Leno last night. Not sure she wrote the material but the delivery was great and downright funny. Not to mention she is beautiful!

March 3, 2010 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  5. Steve, NY

Go get'm Palin. Only in this country you can buck the Press and become rich. I guess she showed everybody that she's not as dumb as the liberals are. She's laughing all the way to the bank. I wish I was in her position any day than any of the cheating Democrats in Congress.
    She can't thank CNN enough for her financial status, LOL.

March 3, 2010 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  6. Michael

I fail to see the humor.

March 3, 2010 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  7. kate

I thought Palin was funny. But then, I thought she was funny as a vice-presidential candidate too!!!!

March 3, 2010 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  8. Concerned Citizen

Note to CNN: Palin is not news.

She is not a political contender, or a stand up comedienne except perhaps when she is on Faux Spews. I'm going to give you the same piece of advice your collective parents gave you when you were children and had to deal with such and uncouth, ill behaved brat, "Ignore her and she will go away." It will never be fast enough to satisfy us all. The only thing she can offer America to make it better is her absence.

March 3, 2010 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  9. The Unsub

Pailin IS a joke.

March 3, 2010 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  10. BK

Maybe her family is targeted by the media becasue they reach out for it! They are the ultimate soap opera

March 3, 2010 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  11. P Marin

Even in this comedic spot she remains sarcastic and cutting while attempting to disguise her true nature behind a folksy, smiling veneer.
    She strikes me as the archetypal "mean girl" in high school.

March 3, 2010 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  12. JohnHoard

I didn't see Sarah Palin's performance on Leno, but I'm all for her taking a new career path. Politics seems way over her head and with a starting slot on Fox–all that fair and balanced nonsense–makes me laugh anyway. She's a natural for nonsense. I do think that the line was crossed with her family, however, and that Fox (how rich is that irony) and the Family Guy people owe her an apology.

March 3, 2010 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  13. jeanne

better at comedy than politics....hahahah

March 3, 2010 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  14. Bill

I am not a Sarah Palin fan, but have to admit, the "Lady" is attractive. Sarah! if you read this, I will become your TV fan, but please do not go into politics..that is a little to far off for you..

March 3, 2010 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  15. Sadie

Her father taught her how to cheat?!! We won't even discuss how many times she has put her children front and center and then complained about all the attention they receive. Sarah, please just shut up and go back to Alaska.

March 3, 2010 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  16. Dave

Haters will bash her no matter what. I thought her appearance was fine. She came across as the humble, down to earth person she appears to be.

I was skeptical though. If she is planning on running for anything, the idea of putting herself out there to take more fire from the left is not a good idea. After watching it though, I get the feeling she is not going to run except for maybe the House or Senate someday.

March 3, 2010 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  17. todd

Well, I'm not so sure this is much of a stretch given her attempt at politics.

March 3, 2010 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  18. dennis dehart

She really looks like a normal intellegent person. Only you find out differently every time she opens her mouth.

March 3, 2010 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  19. Annie, Atlanta

CNN, are you a paid sponsor for Sarah Palin? There is hardly a day that goes by that she's not on this Ticker. How can you be the "most trusted name in news" and a Palin promoter at the same time? Don't you understand how dangerous people as ignorant and hateful as her and her followers are for this country? Good grief, stop already.

March 3, 2010 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  20. J

Why does the media keep reporting on this lady? If she was not attractive, nobody would care what she had to say because she never really says anything of substance. She gets more coverage then Hilary and Hilary is at least educated and qualified to be in her position. Palin should never hold an office higher then her childrens PTA.

March 3, 2010 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  21. ThinkAgain

Said Palin, "I'm still waiting for that line to be uncrossed: Just some common decency, allowing the kids to not be, I guess, the victim in all this because they certainly don't deserve it."

Try not trotting them out as political props!

March 3, 2010 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  22. Annita Sours

She is more rude and crass than those she accuses. None of her jokes were funny. I have rarely heard her say anything positive about any person, place or thing. But she can "see Russia from Alaska!!!" And, if she wants to stay in the limelight she needs to toughen up and accept that her family will be the brunt of negataive and positive comments.

March 3, 2010 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  23. dennis dehart

She really looks like a normal intelligent person. Only you find out differently every time she opens her mouth.

March 3, 2010 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  24. GentleCritic

Keep your day job with FOX. Your lack of talent works best in that environment.

March 3, 2010 11:15 am at 11:15 am |