March 3rd, 2010

Palin takes turn as late-night comic

Palin tried her hand as a comedian Tuesday.
Palin tried her hand as a comedian Tuesday.

(CNN) - Forget about her possible White House ambitions. Is Sarah Palin angling for a career slinging jokes on late-night TV?

Appearing on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno on Tuesday, Palin, whom Leno called a "new comedienne from Wasilla, Alaska," tried her hand at delivering a monologue.

You can decide for yourself if Palin should stick to punditry and politics.

Her quips after the jump:

"Alaska is so different from Los Angeles. Here, when people have a frozen look on their face, I find out it's botox."

"It is so warm and beautiful. Back home it was freezing - it was five degrees below Congress' approval rating."

"Shaun White on the show. What an amazing athlete. I watched him do a double McTwist 1260. The only other people to do a double McTwist 1260 was last week, the White House, on health care."

"How about that amazing, closing ceremony. It was beautiful. The minute I saw that giant moose, I remembered I hadn't cooked anything for the kids' dinner."

"I've been really busy. I picked a gig in Las Vegas at the Legends Show, playing Tina Fey."

"The truth is I am glad I am not vice president. I would not know what to do with all that free time."

Palin then sat down for an interview. She talked to Leno about having been caught with notes on the palm of her hand during a recent speech. Dubbing the move a "poor boy's version of the teleprompter," the former Alaska governor said it was a tactic her father had taught her.

The onetime vice presidential nominee also reiterated her belief that the media has unfairly targeted members of her family.

"Yes, a line was crossed," she said. "I'm still waiting for that line to be uncrossed: Just some common decency, allowing the kids to not be, I guess, the victim in all this because they certainly don't deserve it."

Filed under: Jay Leno • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. SNAPPA

Thats strange, this yahoo been making me laugh since the first day she opened her ignorant, moronic mouth and I've been laughing ever since.

March 3, 2010 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  2. Tony

Pretty good lines. Not likely she wrote them, but how many write their own stuff?

March 3, 2010 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  3. Ray E.

Hey. I would say Jay is a lot more intellegent than he looks. Booking Sarah was a wise move. But he could have booked Al Gore Eh?

March 3, 2010 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  4. k

god help us all.

March 3, 2010 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  5. Bob in Pa

Good for Sarah, even better for Jay.

March 3, 2010 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  6. Jane White

This woman is definitely her own worst enemy. The more she talks the more she shoots herself in the foot.

March 3, 2010 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  7. NELLIE BLY

The line was crossed by Palin herself when she took her kids on the campaign road when they should have been in school. It will continue as long as she puts Trig up as a prop and ploy to garner sympathy and feign indignation.

March 3, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  8. grahame rhodes

YES! She's definitely a joke.

March 3, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  9. Jeanne H.

No surprise there! She is on a mission to grab as much money as she can while she can. I have to give her credit for being forward-looking.

March 3, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  10. Dean

She is a lot better at comedy than Obama is at running this country.

March 3, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  11. Chuck

I saw the show - she wasn't bad !! Maybe she has a future in comedy!!!

March 3, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  12. no name calling

Sarah,

YOU have all the power over the media and your children.

Quit dragging your kids in front of the media and the they will be left alone. I don't know JOe Biden's kids names. That's why they are left alone.

YOu carry Trig around like "a loaf of french bread" and argue with cartoon charaters. YOu drag Bristol around with a baby on her hip preaching abstinence.

YOU ASK FOR MEDIA ATTENTION, so quit complaining about it.

March 3, 2010 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  13. twitwits are the new nitwits

I always thought of her as a comic.She should get a job in Texas,where a hillbillies laugh at themselves all the time.

March 3, 2010 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  14. George

Her humor is plodding, prickly and predictable. Most of all, she's only funny when she's trying to be serious ("What magazines and newspapers? I read ALL of them'" "We can see Russia from our state."
    She's doing everything she can to stay in the spotlight. It's time she fades to black.

March 3, 2010 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  15. will work for health care

I wonder how much she got for this and who wrote her material???
    Who's she kidding... she hasn't made the kids dinner in months!

March 3, 2010 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  16. SH in TX

She's a moron and a hypocrite.

Anyone who thinks those jokes are funny needs to thank the Tonight Show writers. She needs to thank the staff who operated the teleprompter. No way she could have written all those jokes on her hands, and she definitely didn't remember all that.

If your kids don't deserve to be targeted by the media, why do you constantly throw them into the limeligh?. Every time someone makes a remark using the "R" word, you remind the whole country that your son is special needs. By the way, in spite of what you think, your son is not the only special needs child in the world. In criticizing the the use of the word, your daughter made a statement instead of you.

You deserve everything you get.

March 3, 2010 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  17. samuel

She has thrown herself to the wolves and wonders why she gets bitten. She says she joined Fox News to even out the playing field for a more balanced presenstation of news events. Really? Fox News for balanced news reporting? Even Leno did a double take on that one.

March 3, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  18. Sue

I must admit I do laugh at the things she says, but probably not in the way she's hoping for.

March 3, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  19. kitty

Palin may have found her true calling. Certainly was a joke as a VP candidate. See you on Comedy Central, Sarah!

March 3, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  20. Larry

Looks like she's finding her niche in mindless stand-up comedy. Great! Now we can tune her out!

March 3, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  21. Ryan

She was pretty lame....and vapid as usual.

March 3, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  22. Uncle Quilly

I'll give credit where credit's due.... the jokes made me chuckle. No idea how her delivery was, but it's at least funny on paper...

March 3, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  23. The Calabash Kid

Sarah Palin is not very smart. She is a pathological liar ("death panels"). She is a loose cannon with an unstable personality. Saturday Night Live is a good place for her, but elective office is not.

March 3, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  24. Dano

Ms. Palin need to stick to entertainment and stay out of politiics.

March 3, 2010 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  25. Kylene

sorry jay, won't be watching you anymore

March 3, 2010 10:15 am at 10:15 am |