March 3rd, 2010

Palin takes turn as late-night comic

Palin tried her hand as a comedian Tuesday.
Palin tried her hand as a comedian Tuesday.

(CNN) - Forget about her possible White House ambitions. Is Sarah Palin angling for a career slinging jokes on late-night TV?

Appearing on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno on Tuesday, Palin, whom Leno called a "new comedienne from Wasilla, Alaska," tried her hand at delivering a monologue.

You can decide for yourself if Palin should stick to punditry and politics.

Her quips after the jump:

"Alaska is so different from Los Angeles. Here, when people have a frozen look on their face, I find out it's botox."

"It is so warm and beautiful. Back home it was freezing - it was five degrees below Congress' approval rating."

"Shaun White on the show. What an amazing athlete. I watched him do a double McTwist 1260. The only other people to do a double McTwist 1260 was last week, the White House, on health care."

"How about that amazing, closing ceremony. It was beautiful. The minute I saw that giant moose, I remembered I hadn't cooked anything for the kids' dinner."

"I've been really busy. I picked a gig in Las Vegas at the Legends Show, playing Tina Fey."

"The truth is I am glad I am not vice president. I would not know what to do with all that free time."

Palin then sat down for an interview. She talked to Leno about having been caught with notes on the palm of her hand during a recent speech. Dubbing the move a "poor boy's version of the teleprompter," the former Alaska governor said it was a tactic her father had taught her.

The onetime vice presidential nominee also reiterated her belief that the media has unfairly targeted members of her family.

"Yes, a line was crossed," she said. "I'm still waiting for that line to be uncrossed: Just some common decency, allowing the kids to not be, I guess, the victim in all this because they certainly don't deserve it."

Filed under: Jay Leno • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. andrewstl

i think she is a joke and should not tell any!

March 3, 2010 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  2. Charles

Hilarious!!!

I think Leno's replacement has finally been found if she decides to give up politics!

March 3, 2010 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  3. Right Leaning Independent

That is funny stuff and I am not even a fan of hers!!

March 3, 2010 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  4. U.S. Common Sense

Yet one more reason as to why I don't think she's running in 2012.

March 3, 2010 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  5. Al Bluengreenenbrownenburger

Look! Sarah Palin has found yet another area in which she is totaly ibcompetent! The list is endless!

"Democracy isthe theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

March 3, 2010 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  6. Orlando, Fl

I did see this, she is pretty entertaining. I believe that is where she belongs. Entertaintment industry.

March 3, 2010 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  7. John

She has people writing her books, doing her twitter, updating her facebook and now writing her comedy routines. What a staff she has to employ!

March 3, 2010 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  8. cspurgeon

She is a pig. a funny pig but even so a pig.

March 3, 2010 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  9. John in Tampa

So was she using a teleprompter? Those sentences are crisp and clear, so I know SHE didn't write them.

March 3, 2010 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  10. karen

You go Sara!!!!! You are a very intelligent accomplished women.

March 3, 2010 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  11. H in Hermosa Beach

She's cool just not a politian. The real truth is she's not corrupt enough to be one. I think she's a decend woman with many opportunities knocking at her door. And it has has a lot to do with her hot, sexy,exquisite look. Got to admitt she's hot!!!!

March 3, 2010 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  12. America Has Shrugged

Another reason to never ever watch Leno again. Where's the real news CNN?

March 3, 2010 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  13. P

She was great. Common sense, openness and a sense of humor. She is a good and decent peson who is qualified to hold elected office at the level she was at and higher should she so choose. Leno is a class act as well. He too has a sense of deceny and character. Complete opposites from the boob over at CBS who represents those who feel the need to whine, complain and never offer any meaningful solutions, i.e., a liberal Democrat.

March 3, 2010 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  14. Not Blue, Not Red, but Purple

I thought she was funny! Especially the " it was five degrees below Congress' approval rating" joke.

March 3, 2010 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  15. Shadysider

She still used Leno's lame writers.

March 3, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  16. Marjorie

As usual, Palin is doing whatever she can to keep herself in the public eye and all her political options open, including late night comedy. She's as devious, manipulative and opportunistic as Dick Cheney, maybe more so. She's scary as hell and I trust the Demos are keeping a very close eye on her and her antics.

March 3, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  17. PThomas

Wow her father taught her the tactic of writing things on your hand? Seriously that is the wisdom passed on by her father??? As for her children – maybe if she had not paraded them all over the media the media would be less interested. But you cannot do People Mag cover stories, be on TV shows, have little feel good stories with Greta Van S. and then complain because your family gets media attention. She is a total dolt with little of interest to say and this is why I chose NOT to watch Jay Leno.

March 3, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  18. Dan

She needs to stick with her day job. If she had one.

March 3, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  19. Blue Patriot

If you can't laugh at yourself, you really can't be funny, and Madame Palin's thin skin and here ego simply won't allow it.

March 3, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  20. Shaman Nora

I thought Sarah Palin did quite well at stand-up. She always had a knack of delivering good one-liners, and also a great sport in making fun of herself. She has confidence, and was funny.

March 3, 2010 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  21. Caroline

LOVE HER. She was AWESOME.

March 3, 2010 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  22. Laurie

Ms. Palin did the interview first and then did the standup.

March 3, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  23. WhoCares?

I hate this creature with the heat of a million suns. She is collectively lowering the IQ of people that can't afford to lose any.

March 3, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  24. Oh, oh!

The Liberal juvenile delinquents are getting ready to hurl their character assassination and hate . . .

March 3, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  25. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

LAME as in LAME BRAIN....

Isn't the world sick to death of this boob yet?

March 3, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |