March 3rd, 2010

Palin takes turn as late-night comic

Palin tried her hand as a comedian Tuesday.
Palin tried her hand as a comedian Tuesday.

(CNN) - Forget about her possible White House ambitions. Is Sarah Palin angling for a career slinging jokes on late-night TV?

Appearing on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno on Tuesday, Palin, whom Leno called a "new comedienne from Wasilla, Alaska," tried her hand at delivering a monologue.

You can decide for yourself if Palin should stick to punditry and politics.

Her quips after the jump:

"Alaska is so different from Los Angeles. Here, when people have a frozen look on their face, I find out it's botox."

"It is so warm and beautiful. Back home it was freezing - it was five degrees below Congress' approval rating."

"Shaun White on the show. What an amazing athlete. I watched him do a double McTwist 1260. The only other people to do a double McTwist 1260 was last week, the White House, on health care."

"How about that amazing, closing ceremony. It was beautiful. The minute I saw that giant moose, I remembered I hadn't cooked anything for the kids' dinner."

"I've been really busy. I picked a gig in Las Vegas at the Legends Show, playing Tina Fey."

"The truth is I am glad I am not vice president. I would not know what to do with all that free time."

Palin then sat down for an interview. She talked to Leno about having been caught with notes on the palm of her hand during a recent speech. Dubbing the move a "poor boy's version of the teleprompter," the former Alaska governor said it was a tactic her father had taught her.

The onetime vice presidential nominee also reiterated her belief that the media has unfairly targeted members of her family.

"Yes, a line was crossed," she said. "I'm still waiting for that line to be uncrossed: Just some common decency, allowing the kids to not be, I guess, the victim in all this because they certainly don't deserve it."

Filed under: Jay Leno • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Aaron

Hey, maybe Sarah Palin has finally found her niche as a late-night comediene. This is the right fit for her than a position as a serious political leader. May she favor the nation by not running for president in 2012!!

March 3, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  2. jack

Alexander Mooney is writing about something he didn't even watch...She did the stand up after the interview Alex. I know because I WATCHED THE SHOW.

March 3, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  3. kcl

How does she ever expect to b e taken seriously??? The answer is she doesn't care as long as her 15 minutes continue.
    She said she wouldn't be using cue cards, right! watch those eyes. But the big clue...? . The jokes were not run-on sentences!! LOL

March 3, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  4. Lisa in Costa Rica

Who wrote her "quips"?

Sarah's "quips" seem to be mostly old Leno jokes reworded.

March 3, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  5. deeman

She is way prettier than Pelosi, don't you think?

March 3, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  6. yambo

I wonder if media people are as stupid as they come across. A politician goes on a comedy show and, in the spirit of the thing, tells a few corny jokes. " Is Sarah Palin angling for a career slinging jokes on late-night TV?" Are you angling for media moron of the year?

March 3, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  7. Scott

Love her or hate her, she is good on TV.

March 3, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  8. JohnRJ08

So Jay has to get decent ratings right away, so he invites this moron to guest on his show. I suppose that's smart. Palin is like the proverbial traffic accident that everybody slows down to stare at on the freeway. I just see how anybody could stand listening to her shrill, high-pitched delivery and smugness. I predict that within a year she will be posing for Playboy for the largest fee ever paid to a centerfold.

March 3, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  9. Ryan

I saw this on Leno and it was completely lame. Telling quick one liners is about all she really does anyway, so that makes her a comedian and a sorry excuse for a politician. Trust me...she's a laughing riot.

March 3, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  10. Big Ed

What a fool!

March 3, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  11. Tom C in NY

Her biggest joke is the idea that we should take her seriously.

March 3, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  12. sensible Cape Coral FL

Palin is a joke – late night or otherwise.

March 3, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  13. bryan struxness

ohhhhhh I know what was written on her hand IF I ONLY HAD A BRAIN

March 3, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  14. emrok

sarah was great last night at jay leno show!! love her!

March 3, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  15. Lian Han

Who let this idiot have a mike. This is what's wrong with America, someone so clearly idiotic can get anywhere near becoming vice president. Are you kidding with this stuff?

America, wake up. This woman doesn't know how to deliver a speech on freedom without writing freedom on her hand. Isn't that a red flag? If you went on a date with someone and they had "honest, spontaneous, skydiving." written on their hand wouldn't you run away? Why is this woman still in the public eye?

Because of a good publicity agent.

March 3, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  16. Christian

What an idiot!!!! She sucks at comedy too!!!!

March 3, 2010 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  17. Jim

I'm not a big Palin fan, but she was pretty funny.

March 3, 2010 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  18. Matt

I'd tell her not to give up her day job, but she already did that. Painfully UNfunny comedy on her part.

March 3, 2010 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  19. Four and The Door

______________________________________________________
    This was very good. And so true. Watch Obama try as hard as he can to keep these back room deals in the legislation. Do you think he's clutching onto the original bill so hard because it does such a great job for the American people? No, because it doesn't.

I wonder if he will get an honorary SEIU union card to show which organization he belongs to.

March 3, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  20. Steve

The world can never forgive John McCain for delivering unto us this totally delusional and air-headed specimen of a homo sapien~ What ever did we do to YOU, John??

March 3, 2010 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  21. CR

Sarah needs to keep her day job. Oh wait, she quit.

March 3, 2010 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  22. Dumbasrocks [R]s

"late-night comic"? Why limit it to late night? This half-baked piece of moose-meat is a joke ALL THE TIME!

March 3, 2010 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  23. CK

So who's sick and tired of hearing " I'm not gonna sit down and shut up"? Is it just me, or is everyone sick of hearing this made up bull? Where did she get that line from? Maybe it was written on her hand. I watched this last night, and she wasn't funny. The only funny joke she made was when she said she got a gig playing Tina Fey. Her whole "interview" was nothing new, in fact, just another opportunity to speak about the crazies in her tea party movement, and insult the President. She's a jerk and an idiot.

March 3, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  24. FRANK - LAS VEGAS

"notes on the palm of her hand..............the former Alaska governor said it was a tactic her father had taught her" No doubt to cheat on tests in school, much easier than having to study which she obviously didn't study about anything, except how to act cute. She did confirm one thing though with her stand up routine, the American people were correct, she's a joke. She should stay with the stand up instead of politics, as long as she has a good writer that is.

March 3, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  25. Amanda

That interview was painful to watch........she is such a joke.

March 3, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |