March 3rd, 2010

Palin takes turn as late-night comic

Palin tried her hand as a comedian Tuesday.
Palin tried her hand as a comedian Tuesday.

(CNN) - Forget about her possible White House ambitions. Is Sarah Palin angling for a career slinging jokes on late-night TV?

Appearing on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno on Tuesday, Palin, whom Leno called a "new comedienne from Wasilla, Alaska," tried her hand at delivering a monologue.

You can decide for yourself if Palin should stick to punditry and politics.

Her quips after the jump:

"Alaska is so different from Los Angeles. Here, when people have a frozen look on their face, I find out it's botox."

"It is so warm and beautiful. Back home it was freezing - it was five degrees below Congress' approval rating."

"Shaun White on the show. What an amazing athlete. I watched him do a double McTwist 1260. The only other people to do a double McTwist 1260 was last week, the White House, on health care."

"How about that amazing, closing ceremony. It was beautiful. The minute I saw that giant moose, I remembered I hadn't cooked anything for the kids' dinner."

"I've been really busy. I picked a gig in Las Vegas at the Legends Show, playing Tina Fey."

"The truth is I am glad I am not vice president. I would not know what to do with all that free time."

Palin then sat down for an interview. She talked to Leno about having been caught with notes on the palm of her hand during a recent speech. Dubbing the move a "poor boy's version of the teleprompter," the former Alaska governor said it was a tactic her father had taught her.

"Yes, a line was crossed," she said. "I'm still waiting for that line to be uncrossed: Just some common decency, allowing the kids to not be, I guess, the victim in all this because they certainly don't deserve it."

Filed under: Jay Leno • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. HarryB

Funnier than any other politician, with better writers than Leno, Conan or Dave.

Too bad the real farce is playing in DC.

March 3, 2010 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  2. NHrob

Hey! She's found her nitch. She can open for all sorts of right wing political shin digs, be the female counter-part to Denis Miller on Fox. After all, no one takes her seriously anyway

March 3, 2010 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  3. me

How can we miss her if she won't go away?

March 3, 2010 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  4. lilacluvr

That joke about the White House and Health care came straight from the CPAC gathering. Of course, they all chuckled ang giggled like a bunch of middle school kids. Her father taught her how to write crib notes on her hand? Isn't he a former teacher? BTW, her father needs to tell her she needs to write the crib notes correctly on her hand because she had crossed out a word in that list of only 4 things. And who cannot rememer 4 things – especially when they are her 'core beliefs'?

March 3, 2010 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  5. Repugnants are Taliban

To be the biggest joke of the evening she never even had to open her mouth, just show up, how difficult can that be for a box of rocks from Alaska, apparently more difficult than you think, no one can get this idiot to close her pie hole.

March 3, 2010 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  6. Janalee

Sarah was great, as usual. She has played the liberal media and the left-wing pundits like a fiddle. She has grace, poise, beauty, talent and a great sense of humor. Who else can write a few words on the palm of her hand and have the media talk about it for 5 weeks? Like she said, she will continue to do so just to keep liberals all "wee-wee'd" out. SARAH, YOU GO GIRL!!!

March 3, 2010 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  7. Sadie

Give me a break and you call this entertainment? We know she is not a good Politician and now we know she is no comedain.....God forbid......all she is doing is giving Saturday Night Live more ammo to use on her........I have always liked Letterman and Leno but for Leno to put this woman on his show and give her air time.......I will now dedicate my time to Letterman......The only thing going for this woman is her looks and figure.......and that is what she is using to keep herself out there........she is so vain and she disgraces the women of this country.......women have fought in the work place to be taken seriously for their intelligence, and their ability to work as hard and earn the same wage as men........without having to use their bodies or sex to make their place in the working world.........This woman is using her body and looks to gain what she CAIN"T gain with intelligence or knowledge......so she has boobs in her bra and long legs in her jeans but she ain't got a BRAIN IN HER HEAD

March 3, 2010 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  8. CF

On the campaign, she couldn't even describe what the job of the VP is.

"The onetime vice presidential nominee also reiterated her belief that the media has unfairly targeted members of her family."

When your pregnant-as-a-teen daughter **voluntarily** becomes a PUBLIC spokesperson for abstinence, criticism is fair and brought on herself.

Palin is unfunny as a comedian, but what we saw was really classic Palin: "Everyone pity me and my family, and pass the blame to everyone else."

March 3, 2010 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  9. Lawrence Moses

She's just such a goof.

March 3, 2010 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  10. ken

I've been laughing at Palin for years now.

March 3, 2010 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  11. Nick , California

And this is the woman who screams about the "liberal media" but cracks jokes on late night TV! The line was crossed when you used your children for political gain!!

March 3, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  12. Dave

Stop giving this person attention.... so she can just GO AWAY... she is the joke of our country.

March 3, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  13. Joe from Mass

Palin doesn't have to do standup to be comedian. Every time she appears in public she deserves a laugh, at her, not with her. I guess that makes her more of a clown, as sad, pathetic one.

March 3, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  14. Stacie

Neither! I curse John McCain every day for unleashing this monster on the American people. The anger and hatred she's encouraged while showing off her children (but don't dare talk about them) to promote a good family image. The horrible comments she makes while winking at the camera makes me sick! She attacks her opponents but then whines when anyone asks he a "tough" question. Oh, the poor victim! She's crying all the way to the bank, and you fools follow her around. Talk about sheeple!

March 3, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  15. Greg K

This is actually relieving... if she continues like this, there is no way _anyone_ will take her seriously enough to even consider voting for her... right? Come on people, RIGHT? *shudders in terror*

March 3, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  16. judith in SWNY

I've ALWAYS thought she was pretty funny (when she wasn't being pretty scary, that is)

March 3, 2010 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  17. Joe the Average Citizen

Yeah, Sarah. You crossed the line when you trotted them out as stage props at the 2008 Republican National Convention and continued to drag Bristol along the campaign trail as your stage prop. Please take some personal responsibility for your actions rather than always blaming others when things don't go your way.

March 3, 2010 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  18. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

This woman has no grasp of the English language and always playing the victim roll when she herself puts her kids out there. Palin has a petty minded mentality and picks fights that create a media circus, then she's cries victim. Palin isn't a politician nor a comedian, she's an idiot.

March 3, 2010 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  19. Flyer69

Another failure...she just can't keep a job

March 3, 2010 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  20. JofOH

She's a joke, she tells jokes, what's the difference?

March 3, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  21. RF-NJ

She's as funny as she is bright.

March 3, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  22. Palin Power

That is America's next and greatest president. Sarah Palin will change America for the better and her 8 years will be America's greatest.

March 3, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  23. TM in CO

A comic you are not Palin. More like a joke. I am so thankful everyday that you are not anywhere near the White House. You scare the heck out of me with your ignorance

March 3, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  24. Jim

she's no good as a comedian either.

March 3, 2010 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  25. FM

Where are you heading to, being a late-night comic Sarah??!!!

March 3, 2010 10:53 am at 10:53 am |