March 4th, 2010

Job creation bill heads back to Senate

New York (CNNMoney.com) - Lawmakers' efforts to spur job creation were delayed once again Thursday after the House amended a $15 billion Senate bill before passing it.

The amendments mean the Senate must again approve the four-prong measure, this time with no changes, if President Obama is to sign it into law. The Senate may not take up the legislation until next week.

The bill would exempt employers from Social Security payroll taxes on new hires who were unemployed; fund highway and transit programs through 2010; extend a tax break for business that spend money on capital investments, such as equipment purchases; and expand the use of the Build America Bonds program, which helps states and municipalities fund capital construction projects.

However, the House added two provisions to pay for the infrastructure spending and corporate tax breaks. Its amendments require foreign financial institutions to give the Internal Revenue Service more information to help it catch tax cheats, and delays a tax break for foreign interest payments. The measure passed by a 217-201 vote.

Full story

Filed under: CNNMoney.com
  1. phoenix86

Hopefully, they will take out the doctor fix and put that back into the heath care cost, where it belongs.

Democraps have NO SHAME.

March 4, 2010 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  2. NC

Let me guess NO REPUBLICANS VOTED FOR THE JOBS BILL.

March 4, 2010 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. LacrosseMom(the real one)

Good....... now PASS the bill!

I did not get to post about Mrs. Obama, and her first year as First Lady.

Mrs. Obama is beautiful, gracious, brilliant and an asset to the U.S.A and her husband!

Brava Mrs. Obama! We are delighted to have such a wonderful First Lady!

March 4, 2010 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  4. Less Government

Where is this money coming from? We are broke. Just another unfunded bill by this awful administration and congress. IS OBAMA TRYING TO BANKRUPT us?

March 4, 2010 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  5. single mom

Why? I thought the last TWO were supposed to get us going in the right direction. How about devoting time and energy to fixing the fraud, waste and abuse in current programs? Little things like – if you didn't pay into the system, you don't get any of that money. If you claim medical disability or problems, it gets verified by a doctor that isn't yours. Oh, and no benefits paid to illegals. Sorry, but we are not a welfare state for the world.

March 4, 2010 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  6. Wake Up

Here's a great job creation bill:
    cut taxes for businesses and individuals immediately. If we have money, we will spend it and hire people!

March 4, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  7. Daniel

I hope everyone reads the entire story before commenting on this. More spending by this Congress that we can't afford. It's not $15,000,000,000. It's $150,000,000,000.

This is great hope and change we can believe in. Hope we have enough change in our pockets to buy bread. We need some conservative values guiding this country giving us our money that we earn so we can reinvest in our dreams of owning our own companies and employing people. That is what our country was founded on. Not some nanny state where we depend on politicians who don't know what it is like to work. You liberals are destroying our country. Progressive is anything but.

March 4, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  8. DC

How much tax is OK? This year you and I will work 3.5 months to pay our taxes. That is more than we will spend on our food, clothing and housing combine (check the facts). Why can’t the government take our 3.5 months of taxes and spend it correctly. I like my public conveniences as much as any one- roads, parks, etc. But I don’t want to pay more than my 3.5 months. So I ask, how much do you democrats think is enough 4,5,6 or more months? Please take everyone else’s lead (successful companies, everyday citizens, etc.) and reduce your spending within a budget!!!

March 4, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  9. Wake Up

Seriously, do Obamabots think money is free? Where is the government getting this money? People have to finish college, maybe get a graduate degree...like many of us did then they will succeed. Why should I keep doling out money to the lazy and unwilling. DO PEOPLE NEED 2 YEARS OF UNEMPLOYMENT??? It's time to be a bus boy if that's what your qualified to do. Sorry.

March 4, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  10. Read the constitution

Do you kool-aid drinking Obama lappers ever question your leadership? I mean, enough has to be enough at some time. Federal govt can't support 1/2 of america. Unfortunately, 1/2 of america wants to succeed and 1/2 wants to sponge. I'm sick of supporting the lazy and unwilling.

March 4, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  11. Daniel

Hey NC, 201 people voted against this bill. Meaning some democrats voted against it. Meaning BIPARTISAN was in effect here. Just against it so take your ignorant comments and go home and read something. Educate yourself before we have to read anymore of your garbage.

March 4, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  12. if I was crazy, I'd be a conservative too

To DC: I received the same tax cut on April 1, 2009, that 95% of Americans received, which overall reduced working over 3.5 months to pay for my tax obligation. You are incorrect when you say that taxes have gone up under our president. TURN OFF FOX LIES!

March 4, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  13. Daniel

@if I was crazy, I'd be a conservative too – I just want to make sure you were talking about the $25 a week I saw on my check. You are right. Now we only have to work 3.49999999999999999999999 months a year. Thank you Obama.

March 4, 2010 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  14. New Father

Here is a question. How many jobs bill does it take for the Democrats to create one new net job? or better yet, How come the Dems passed a 2 trillion dollar debt limit increase and than passed PayGo. How come unions and lawyers are more important than the rest of Americans? If hospitals are starting to no longer take government funded insurance, who will take care of the 30 million new people? Besides these no brainers and the doubling of unemployment and tripling the debt I think he is a great reader, and would vote for whoever writes his speaches in the next election.

March 4, 2010 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  15. Andy

50% of America pays for the other 50%;but,the liberals say the poor pay for all.The poor not only do not pay ;but,receive.I offered good jobs with good insurance/benefits to over 5000 people during my 40 career .I am sick of paying for the welfare queens (reproducing 2X children as a taxpayer).I am sick of the "government"taking care of the lazy non producers and I am sick of the GREAT SOCIETY DEMOCRATS causing this to "BUY" their votes.The Dems are a true party of SOCIALISM.

March 4, 2010 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  16. Jake

LIBERALS driving America into the ground a bill( of socialism) at a time.Liberal motto give give give to the lazy and worthless at the expense of the tax payer.

March 4, 2010 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  17. Candi

Just another wasteful bill that cost the tax payer more than what is received.Government gives out $1.00 and cost the tax payer $1.73.We are getting to be a SOCIALIST NATION.

March 4, 2010 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  18. J.P.

Stimulus 1 didn't create any NEW jobs in the market.

Why should we expect Stimulus 2.0 to be any different?

Government DOES NOT create jobs, wealth and prosperity. Only the private sector does.

If government created jobs, wealth and prosperity, there would be NO NEED for the private sector. We'd all just line up for "free" gubmint goodies.

March 4, 2010 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  19. J.P.

This is obviously Bush's fault.

I was unhappy with my eggs at breakfast this morning... yep, you guessed it, Bush's fault too.

The poor synchonization of stoplights on the commute to work... Bush.

March 4, 2010 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  20. Brian from NJ

$150B! I don't even think they are living in reality anymore... the numbers are mind numbing... our kids are gonna be big time pissed when they reach adulthood and see the mess this administration and congress expect them to pay for...

March 4, 2010 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  21. Sick of CNN posters

Hey Daniel get Hannity out of your butt

March 4, 2010 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  22. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

THIS BILL INCLUDES – "extend a tax break for business that spend money on capital investments"

I'm not a John McCain supporter, but this is something he ran on in the 2008 campaign. If Republicans vote against this, they are in deep doo doo.

March 4, 2010 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  23. Scott, Tucson

Instead of having employers not pay taxes into the Social Security fund which would only hurt SS later on, have the employers not payout the Federal payroll tax deductions and everybody wins... except that Obama and Pelosi may have to curb back their jet setting ways.

March 4, 2010 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  24. jules sand-perkins

The government is not there to invent jobs for citizens who can't devise some way to earn money for themselves.

March 4, 2010 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  25. Pragmatic

Who in Congress is voting to let the infrastructure fail and in favor of tax cheats? Who is voting for a tax break for foreign interest payments?

Evidently 20 idiots ... wonder what their political persuasion is??? 201 congressmen & women cheering for tax cheats, less money and let those bridges fall! Shame on them!

March 4, 2010 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |