March 4th, 2010

Top Paterson aide quits

A top aide to Gov. David Paterson resigned Thursday.
A top aide to Gov. David Paterson resigned Thursday.

(CNN) – A top aide to embattled New York Gov. David Paterson has resigned his post.

Peter Kauffmann, Paterson's communications director for over a year, said in a statement, "I cannot in good conscience continue in my current position."

Kauffmann's resignation comes a day after New York's Commission on Public Integrity charged Paterson with an ethics violation for accepting free tickets to the first game of last year's World Series. The commission also said Paterson lied under oath about intending to pay for the tickets.

The governor, appointed after ex-Gov. Elliot Spitzer resigned in March 2008, announced last week he was forgoing a bid for his own term after media reports alleged he was involved in pressuring a woman to drop a domestic violence charge against an aide.

"I have been honored to serve the people of New York during a difficult time in our state's history. As a former officer in the United States Navy, integrity and commitment to public service are values I take seriously," Kauffmann also said in the statement.

Kauffman, a former consultant with the Washington, D.C.-based Glover Park Group, signed on with Paterson in February 2009 after the governor was criticized over his handling of the state's vacant Senate seat.

– CNN's Mary Snow contributed to this report

Filed under: David Paterson • Popular Posts
  1. Annie, Atlanta

Eric, with the attention this governor has gotten over the last few weeks, maybe they're just assuming since we're here commenting we all know he's a Democrat.

March 4, 2010 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  2. ShiWms n Phx AZ

Democrats cleaning house for a change. Taken all the trash out. Rethugs be patient. Your house is next!

March 4, 2010 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  3. Kathleen

Let's move on. Who is the Democrat running for this office in November. Cuamo? I think

March 4, 2010 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  4. Proud to be an american

You left wing loons just can't help but lap up any dem. Your savior KING OBAMA CALLED PATTERSON AND TOLD HIM NOT TO RUN FOR RE-ELECTION.
    You left wingers are so ignorant you don't even know what your savior wants.
    Sure it was Patterson's aide, but the fact is that he COVERED IT UP. Do you under stand that lefty loons??

March 4, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  5. Dan C

True, CNN seems to forget to mention the word "Democrat" when a liberal governor or congressman gets caught in some scandal, but "Republican" is in the headline if its a conservative who's the focus of a scandal. CNN is just inherently biased against the center and conservative leaders inthis country.

As for Patterson, he seemed like a decent governor in a difficult time, too bad he didn't kno wbetter to not take the tickets and not to even make a call to his aide's girlfriend. Not great judgement there ...

March 4, 2010 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  6. Navy Vet

Tickets, an ethics violation over Tickets! Are you kidding me? How about the unethical behavior of lieing us into a war with Iraq that leads to the deaths of over 3000 men and women?

What a waste of time and money. I'll pay for the tickets, investigate real ethics violations for God's sakes.

March 4, 2010 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  7. Daniel

Ahhhh. Poor minorities are picked on again. I guess all the people who bagged on Sanford, Foley, and DeLay was warranted but since Patterson is black, it is a racist act to bag on him. I wish I was black so I could hide behind my color when I screw up. "Leave me alone. I'm black. It's not my fault I'm black and I covered for my black employee who beat his black girlfriend. It's not my fault I'm black and couldn't get tickets to the World Series. I'm black, leave me alone".

That is exactly how you people sound when you bring up the race card. Get over it. I would be willing to bet that people of color who are stand up people don't like the color of skin being used as an excuse. You screw up, you screw up. No matter what the color of your skin is.

March 4, 2010 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  8. Proud to be an american

fake "navy vet" what does W have to do with this? You dem socialist policies are indefensible so you loons bring up Bush? No wonder why most liberals need to government assistance. I suggest maybe finishing college and getting a job.

March 4, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  9. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Dump him. No one voted for him anyway. Bring back Spitzer; at least he was competent.

March 4, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  10. Doug,lib jersey

Patterson may know of the NY Mob but the Chicago thug mobsters are a totally different animal. Rahm and company are not be told no.

March 4, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  11. Bill

You think the democrats would plant an accusation just to make Gov. Paterson resign and yield to a stronger dem candidate? Oh, SURELY not. That would really be a lowdown, dirty, sneaky, rotten thing to do. Oops, I just described democratic politics.

March 4, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  12. AK Steve

Bigger men/women have gone done for much less. Politics is a rough game. It has nothing to do with what is right for the people. It is all about power, who has it and who wants it.

Ain't nothing to do with you and me.

March 4, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  13. Daniel

Now Sniffit gets all patriotic. This coming from the person who wants socialism. SO funny.

Sniffit, Patterson broke the rules and Obama's policies are not wanted by the MAJORITY of Americans. Go read the polls, if you can read.

I feel so dirty. Or racist.

March 4, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  14. Richie in Mass

He is a disgrace for trying to cover up the abuse of a woman. Taking tickets to a ballgame? This is just a chance for the press to go after a Democrat that has fallen from their grace. Nobody doubts he is done but the press has to show us how tough they are on Democrats too. How about looking into Charlie Rangel? He didn't pay taxes, used 4 rent controlled apartments for his offices, hid assets ( property ) from the IRS. He writes the tax laws but apparently him not actually obeying them is ok. Maybe if he took tickets to a sporting event he will be held accountable. The Secretary of the Treasury is a tax cheat too so I guess tax evasion is less serious than taking tickets to a sporting event.

March 4, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  15. Daniel

Sniffit March 4th, 2010 3:43 pm ET

When will the GOP and their hatred of minoritys stop causing such pain?

Thank you. Thank you.

March 4, 2010 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  16. Ben

Navy Vet? "How about the unethical behavior of lieing us into a war with Iraq that leads to the deaths of over 3000 men and women?"

What about the deaths of 3,000 americans on 9/11? Are we supposed to just forget about that?

March 4, 2010 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  17. Truth Matters

Pres. Obama himself opposed the use of reconciliation to pass health care reform.

March 4, 2010 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  18. Tyrone

I'm sick of people like Patterson and Obama ruining it for us african-americans who actual love america. I don't want socialism and can fend for myself! Go away, and let us be!

March 4, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  19. Read the constitution

Big government = corruption

BOTH PARTIES DO IT, AND YOU LEFT WING DEMS SUPPORT IT. Stop Obama now!

March 4, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  20. Voted for Obama and proud of it

Sniffit (March 4th, 2010 3:43 pm ET) said,

"When will the GOP and their hatred of minoritys stop causing such pain?"

__________________

WHAT does the GOP have to do with this?

March 4, 2010 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  21. Paul Ernest Show

Gali, some folks must want this guy out of power, by all means, at all cost. His sin or crime does not exceed that of S

March 4, 2010 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  22. Controversy over Nothing

How is it that attending the World Series ... in any way ... is a credible complaint against Governor Patterson?

Countless numbers of politicians, over decades, have been given tickets to sporting events. I can't help but wonder why, now, it is a problem.

This is part of an orchestrated attempt by the GOP to stir up dust and then suggest that the Governor can no longer do his job because he lacks the confidence of the people. They are trying to raise red herrings against every politician of color because they can't indict them on a lack of competence.

I'm sorry but I won't be bamboozled.

March 4, 2010 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  23. Daniel

It's OK Sniffit. Short memories tend to be exclusive to Democrats. I mean, Obama forgot the 1,000 times he railed against using the nuclear option. I forgive you and accept your apology.

But if you are of color then I am the racist and I should apologize for calling you out.

March 4, 2010 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |